Forum Knife Updates and comments

All,
Thank you for all the feedback good and bad on this offering. Please contact me if you have any issues and we will get them fixed up for you. you can contact me here or jhubbard@buckknives.com or warranty@buckknives.com and we will take care of you.
Each piece of elk starts as a full rack and then the pieces are cut out of that. The 'bow' (concave or convex pieces) you see in some photos is due to the curve of the elk. We make each set out of the same piece of elk, so one side can be concave while the matching piece is convex.

Gaps are making me cringe on some of those.
Walk and talk should break in.

All in all, it seems like this was a good run with minimal issues.

Send it into us. That looks like we snaked the rivet when it got pressed

That black crusty stuff would be the epoxy we used to glue on the scales.

Please keep all the feedback coming. We can't better unless we know where we fail. There are some comments/questions embedded in Gunstockjacks quote, so pop it open..

Thanks,

Jeff
Thanks, Jeff. I love mine. I hope Buck will be involved with future forum knives.

View attachment 1036030 View attachment 1036031 View attachment 1036032 View attachment 1036033

My two two bits. GEC builds collector knives which are pricey. Buck builds hard using knives at very reasonable prices. You cannot compare the two; they are like apples and oranges. There is nothing wrong with this Buck Forum knife. In fact, it is a beautiful knife, extremely well made, and a great value for the money. Please put away the calipers, don’t hold the backspring up to a flashlight, and enjoy it! I am, and this is from someone who voted for GEC.

Last edited:
All,
Thank you for all the feedback good and bad on this offering. Please contact me if you have any issues and we will get them fixed up for you. you can contact me here or jhubbard@buckknives.com or warranty@buckknives.com and we will take care of you.

Send it into us. That looks like we snaked the rivet when it got pressed

Thanks,

Jeff
Thank you for the information, and specifically for the input on my knife. I will send it back in shortly per your feedback.

Matt

Mine is in and I'm quite happy. Middle of the road elk and not too fat which was a concern of mine. No gaps unless I hold it up to the light and really work for it. No blade play, good 5ish pulls, decent W&T with a little grittiness that I expect to improve. Flush springs when open, slightly depressed sheepsfoot spring when closed. Clip is ground to about 0.020 bte, sheepsfoot around 0.030. If I were to make one change it would be to make the sheepsfoot half as thick at the spine and then grind it down to 0.010 bte. I'm very happy with this knife and can't wait to use it. I think Buck and Stephen both did a great job. Thanks again.

Found mine in the mailbox this afternoon.

Over all I’m pleased, dull as a butter knife, fine by me, the fit and finish are quality made, the only issue is the walk and talk aren’t as crisp. Closing is perfect, opening is a little slow. I think it’ll work in like a good pair of leather work boots ;) :).

Here’s some quick shots.

sEsLAqz.jpg

s9NNGvi.jpg

VJ7Tm07.jpg

Not even 5 minutes into owning it, it but me, so I guess it was sharper than I thought. :D

192xg4ah.jpg

iPNzT0Lh.jpg

For the money it cost I’m very pleased and another year closer to completing the decade long history of the BFC tang stamp. :)

More pics to come. Thanks Stephen for all the work you’ve done to get us here. You have my utmost admiration and gratitude my friend, thank you again.

Last edited:
I am very happy with my 2018 forum knife! Thank you SK and buck and everyone else that made this happen. Today it was on work duty and performed great, mostly cut insulation off wires and some tape. Also zipped through some sheets of cardboard. Thanks again everyone! And thank you to whoever made the little porch card that was really nice!

Attachments

• 20181211_123730_50.jpg
    20181211_123730_50.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 28
My 301 arrived in my Kitchener, Ontario, Canada mailbox just after lunchtime today. I did not expect the package to get through the CanadaPost deliveries backlog until the New Year.

My initial reaction to the Elk is disappointment. But, it will probably grow on me as I realize its uniqueness.

Question: is a depressed/sunken Sheepsfoot spring an acceptable reason to send in the knife for warranty work?

Brian

My 301 arrived in my Kitchener, Ontario, Canada mailbox just after lunchtime today. I did not expect the package to get through the CanadaPost deliveries backlog until the New Year.

My initial reaction to the Elk is disappointment. But, it will probably grow on me as I realize its uniqueness.

Question: is a depressed/sunken Sheepsfoot spring an acceptable reason to send in the knife for warranty work?

Brian

We sand and blend the backs of these while blades are open, so it is common for the springs to not match when closed to varying degrees. There are many things that can lead to the low spring in the closed position. If it is mis-matched in the open and closed position both, that is something different.
What was wrong with the Elk?

Here are my two. I ended up with a smoothish one and a craggy one. The pull on both blades of both knives are about a five and three of them need to be pushed the last bit to full open. The clip blade of the smoother knife does actually snap open a bit.

You probably know this already, so I am not presuming to enlighten you specifically. But some folks may not realize this, so...

A freshly made or freshly modded and reassembled slipjoint usually has tiny bits of metal filings and handle material dust way down in there where the blade rides on the spring, and where the blade tang pivots between the liners. This can make the walk 'n talk uninspiring, even gritty, and interfere with the relationship between the blade and spring. What they need is a good flushing. I like pressurized WD40 or Kroil. Mop it out with paper towels, and lube with Nortons. It almost always livens up sluggish snaps.

Mine has arrived safe and sound. I’m very happy with the over all fit and finish. The sides are reasonably well matched. Unfortunately, I had to boxed it back up as it is my Christmas present. All the waiting and anticipation and now I get to do it again.

Thank you to all who have helped make this happen.

View attachment 1036030 View attachment 1036031 View attachment 1036032 View attachment 1036033

My two two bits. GEC builds collector knives which are pricey. Buck builds hard using knives at very reasonable prices. You cannot compare the two; they are like apples and oranges. There is nothing wrong with this Buck Forum knife. In fact, it is a beautiful knife, extremely well made, and a great value for the money. Please put away the calipers, don’t hold the backspring up to a flashlight, and enjoy it! I am, and this is from someone who voted for GEC.
very well stated sir, Buck has been a mainstay of my knife obsession for many many years, because of this very reason. I think they hit the his one out of the park for what they delivered at the price point we got these at! Very happy camper here...

I received mine today, a day earlier than the USPS prognostication, and my wife’s birthday! I told her that it was her present!

I really like the elk stag scales. Kind of crusty and pretty well matched sides. It is a very attractive looking knife.

Very small gap in the back springs in one place. Cannot get a fingernail in it

The blades are both sharp and the edge bevels are well executed.

The “walk and talk” is not good. The blades are hard to open. They don’t grind but they are very tight. They don’t “snap” open or closed-at all. I have not cleaned or lubed them, yet. They might smooth out with openings and closings. I compared it to my other Buck 301’s and the action is well below my other ones including brand new examples.

This one might be going back to Buck if the action does not improve. Frustrating to have a knife that looks so nice, but does not function correctly.

I might add that it does not help that my loving wife is laughing her ass off at me because I keep telling her that I am not going to buy any more Buck knives even though I have been a user and collector of them for over 45 years! It keeps happening. I have had to send in quite a few this year.

Edit: I also did not get a certificate.

Last edited:
Back