French regional knives...

I went to Au Sabot for the story on "capuchadou", but it seems they don't make one.
I did find the French navaja I knew I'd seen somewhere. Their English version page calls it a switchblade, and they etch it "Corse" or "Vendetta Corse".

I sure would like to find one of those 16.5 cm ones.

I’m a rank amateur when it comes to French Traditional knives, but slowly I learn. I decided that my next would be a Capuchadou. One caught my eye, and I wanted it but it was out of my league. There was a Black Friday deal that I couldn’t resist. It’s 10CM. Fits my hand perfectly. Silky smooth upon opening or closing. Very Happy.
View attachment 1244413

View attachment 1244417

View attachment 1244420
Really nice, Harvey! That's a work of art in your pocket!

I went to Au Sabot for the story on "capuchadou", but it seems they don't make one.

About the name capuch/jadou I guess this is the same with different accentuation, I doubt that in the days of the real knife few (if any!) users would have been able to spell the name correctly (if one can expect so of a dialect word) :(. Signification unknown.
It was a very old and quite crude pattern of a straight, non folding knife.
capuchadou-origine.jpg

The name was revived by Richard Sossler, a famous cutler, as his trademark, for a folder whose prototypes were created by no less than Robert Beillonnet (top one).
He then sold name and pattern (including a few others) to Fontenille when he retired in 2009.
20090812176.jpg

(pictures and documentation from http://couteaux.clicforum.com/t304-Richard-Sossler-un-Grand-Artisan.htm)

It is also used by the Forge de Laguiole for a straight table knife, more linked to the original. Future might be amazing...

The old capuchadou existed in Aubrac but, according to Mr Lemasson - who knows a bit about it - in no way can she be considered as the forerunner of the first Laguioles (i.e. the straight folder or the later).
There's seamingly no link with a hood (capuche) and this piece of clothing was not part of yesterday's peasants garments, they prefered a cap. The only knife with a close relationship is the capucin, from the monks who used to wear one (hood). This old knife originating much lower South and in other mountains (the Pyrénées).

As it has been told by our historian Thiers' knife-makers have 200 years of experience in marketing :D
They have developed almost all the so-called "regional" knives of the country. Like the famous Vendetta from Corsica which none of it has been ever made in Corsica :D:D
And I don't speak about the tons of Navajas they sold to the Spanish clients without hesitation to change the name of the manufacturer to sounds more "local" :D:D

Â

As it has been told by our historian Thiers' knife-makers have 200 years of experience in marketing :D
They have developed almost all the so-called "regional" knives of the country. Like the famous Vendetta from Corsica which none of it has been ever made in Corsica :D:D
And I don't speak about the tons of Navajas they sold to the Spanish clients without hesitation to change the name of the manufacturer to sounds more "local" :D:D

Â
Un chou ch'est un chou! :D:D:D (a buck is a buck with the local accent :D:D:D)

Here's a very rustic style knife from a Corsican maker. Goat horn and carbon steel. The blade is made from fairly thick stock with a sabre grind. I know Fontenille Pataud calls their version of this the Rondinara. Anyone know if that is the actual pattern name for this knife?

Amazing information, Jolipapa and Âchillepattada!!
The names of traditional patterns are just as confusing in The French traditions as they are in the North Amercan ones; a lot of them influenced by real or perceived market desires!!
What's a fellow to believe??
It'd be great if someone wrote a guide to traditional French knives in English, and got it all right!!
In America its arguable what the difference is between some Cattle knives and some Stockmen!!

Amazing information, Jolipapa and Âchillepattada!!
The names of traditional patterns are just as confusing in The French traditions as they are in the North Amercan ones; a lot of them influenced by real or perceived market desires!!
What's a fellow to believe??
It'd be great if someone wrote a guide to traditional French knives in English, and got it all right!!
In America its arguable what the difference is between some Cattle knives and some Stockmen!!
From 1896 to 1904, Camille Pagé published a huge book (each volume counts about 1400 pages) about cutlery, from the very beginning, in every aspects and every continent. His book is a masterpiece and still considered as THE bible. (all 6 volumes were reprinted in 2011)
It's a pity that since, nobody had the courage to update it.
That would be a tremendous job to translate.
An extract dedicated to @Achillepattada ;) :
f112.highres

and this one to give some headaches to @WillPower :D
f207.highres

and these for Charlie and our US fellows :)
f127.highres

f125.highres

Mr Lemasson's book about the Laguiole comes and brings light on how within short distances, the same pattern was not made exactly identical, thus got different names, he also points out that the pattern did evolve from friction to slipjoints, from iron furnace (the sole method used in the Southern France until end XIXth) to blast furnace (as used in Northern France).
For example, the original Laguiole was straight with a drop point blade and a "raven's beak" head (bec de corbin), much like (but not completely) the yssingeaux / issoire / st martin, etc. (all are town names) but they differenciated also by the region were the Thiers cutlers did sell them.
Could it be the same about cattle knives and stockmen?

(He explains also the origin of the "fly". In fact Mouche was the name of the cutler (Châtellerault?) who invented it in the XVIIIth century and is a term of cutlery since. He destroys all the legends about napoleonic bee, christian cross, Spanish origins, etc.)

draggat draggat : It's a Cornicciolu.

Do you know if this is considered a Corsican knife, as in a regional knife? I looked up Cornicciolu and found a few different blade styles. Are the curves on the spine of the blade representative of anything? I noticed that they are missing on some knives labelled with the same name.

I could probably look some of this up on my own, but since you are an expert in these matters, I figured you could tell us what you know here and we can all learn.

I love your informative posts!! Thank you!

draggat draggat : yes absolutely, the Cornicciolu is a Corsican shepherd knife.
I've heard that this curves on the spine were used to prepare the vegetal fibers for the basket-work.
May be you don't find them on all then blade because it's an option , like the corkscrew on a Laguiole :D

I don't know very well the Corsica knife world but Jean-Jacques Bernet is very good in this style :
http://www.stazzonadirustinu.com/

p1060568.jpg

p1060582.jpg

p1060576.jpg

cam00062.jpg

Â

PS : may those corsican ( a bit independentist) won't be happy to find themselves on the french knives thread :D

I could probably look some of this up on my own, but since you are an expert in these matters, I figured you could tell us what you know here and we can all learn.

I love your informative posts!! Thank you!
Do you know if this is considered a Corsican knife, as in a regional knife? Without getting into intricate political/mafia/mobster preconceived notions, it is both, regional, Corsica is France and of course typically Corsican. There is no authentic replica elsewhere (ie made in Thiers -see after-).
Corsican cutlers have been quite worried by the "vendetta" knife, which is, as pointed out by @Achillepattada is a typical invention of Thiers cutlers made for tourists (in the XIXth cent. already, following a trend set by Mérimée's Columba' novel, etc.).
Later, Corsican cutlers created a league (sic) to protect the pattern but some cutlers did not want to be in that league, and created an alternate syndicate...(- see what I mean???- no??? - get out of there Napoli and Calabria :eek::D:D:D-)

I looked up Cornicciolu and found a few different blade styles.
As can be expected, each cutler has his own variation, but the shape is always based on goat/ram/bighorn horn and a forged blade. According to the league, all blades have to be (theoretically) forged by hand...

Are the curves on the spine of the blade representative of anything?
not to my knowledge.

This postcard (from Corsica) sums it quite well. (Corsican shepherd's code)
Berger_Corse.jpg
happy / unhappy

Last edited:
Do you know if this is considered a Corsican knife, as in a regional knife? Without getting into intricate political/mafia/mobster preconceived notions, it is both, regional, Corsica is France and of course typically Corsican. There is no authentic replica elsewhere (ie made in Thiers -see after-).
Corsican cutlers have been quite worried by the "vendetta" knife, which is, as pointed out by @Achillepattada is a typical invention of Thiers cutlers made for tourists (in the XIXth cent. already, following a trend set by Mérimée's Columba' novel, etc.).
Later, Corsican cutlers created a league (sic) to protect the pattern but some cutlers did not want to be in that league, and created an alternate syndicate...(- see what I mean???- no??? - get out of there Napoli and Calabria :eek::D:D:D-)

I looked up Cornicciolu and found a few different blade styles.
As can be expected, each cutler has his own variation, but the shape is always based on goat/ram/bighorn horn and a forged blade. According to the league, all blades have to be (theoretically) forged by hand...

Are the curves on the spine of the blade representative of anything?
not to my knowledge.

This postcard (from Corsica) sums it quite well. (Corsican shepherd's code)
View attachment 1245159
happy unhappy

@Achillepattada 's comment came while writing. I agree with the basket work purpose.

Some absolutely beautiful knives shown from everyone during the past few months!!!
I was doubly impressed though with some of the examples shown by burkefj. The talent involved in creating many of those wonderful French folders is truly amazing.

Back