French regional knives...

Great to learn of the new "Laguiole" book by Christian Lemasson. It will be on my Christmas list. :)
The Laguiole models are such an elegant knife with art ranging from subtle to intricate.
Here is a beautiful old ivory handled model which I believe dates to the late 1800s. It predates the use of a Bee / Fly on the backspring.
The knife is sitting on one of the six volumes of the book by Camille Page which Jolipapa had mentioned.

View attachment 1245411

Did you ever tried to look her upside down? (not my picture)
Viallon.jpg

Great to learn of the new "Laguiole" book by Christian Lemasson. It will be on my Christmas list. :)
The Laguiole models are such an elegant knife with art ranging from subtle to intricate.
Here is a beautiful old ivory handled model which I believe dates to the late 1800s. It predates the use of a Bee / Fly on the backspring.
The knife is sitting on one of the six volumes of the book by Camille Page which Jolipapa had mentioned.

View attachment 1245411

A real heartbreaker, Neal!!! Oh my!!!

Thank you Elgatodeacero and waynorth.
Here is a comparison picture which helps to illustrate part of the great video that Gevonovich provided (on page 6) which I believe was done by burkefj???
Interesting to see the cosmetic changes which took place with the Laguiole models around the turn of the twentieth century.
While these two models are very similar in size and shape, they are quite different cosmetically.
I believe the top model dates just prior to 1900, with the bottom model dating to the very early 1900s.
As the video described, earlier Laguiole versions were void of the Bee / Fly backtab and filework which were incorporated after circa 1909.
One notable feature that is seen on the earlier top knife is the use of Silver Pique work on the handles. That was an art form which was popular in England and France in the early to late 1800s.

View attachment 1245746

View attachment 1245753

Thanks for filling in a few more steps in the history of the Laguioles, Neal!!:thumbsup:
One of the great joys of collecting antique cutlery is discovering the stories
behind the knives!:cool:
Beautiful examples you have also!!:)

View attachment 1245411

Thank you Elgatodeacero and waynorth.
Here is a comparison picture which helps to illustrate part of the great video that Gevonovich provided (on page 6) which I believe was done by burkefj???
Interesting to see the cosmetic changes which took place with the Laguiole models around the turn of the twentieth century.
While these two models are very similar in size and shape, they are quite different cosmetically.
I believe the top model dates just prior to 1900, with the bottom model dating to the very early 1900s.
As the video described, earlier Laguiole versions were void of the Bee / Fly backtab and filework which were incorporated after circa 1909.
One notable feature that is seen on the earlier top knife is the use of Silver Pique work on the handles. That was an art form which was popular in England and France in the early to late 1800s.

View attachment 1245746

View attachment 1245753

Outstanding contribution, Neal ! Your two specimens Dazzle ...exquisite !!! The center section resembles a butterfly

Jolipapa Jolipapa A truly fascinating cutlery work, how on earth did M.Pagé have the energy and resources to compile 6 vols in 8 years each c.1400 p??:eek: and no Internet to help out either! A cutlery equivalent of Michelangelo's Sistine Chapel, I'm not exaggerating.

The piece on the Duchy of Finland as it was was interesting: the population of Finland was about 2.5 million (5.5m today) Helsinki/Helsingfors claimed to have a population of 80k but it was almost certainly far bigger, censuses were tricky and inaccurate-nobody wanted to pay tax to either the govt.or the Russians in those days sigh!;) Viipuri/Viborg was the second largest city but confiscated by the USSR after 1944 when the war stopped here. Fiskars which gives its name to the metal/tool company (now some multi national corporation with not so much manufacturing in this country anymore like all the other supposed benefits of globalization ;)) is still a TINY village today about 1000 people but it is a crucible of metal industry. But the thing is the population was very small in those times and most people were still rural and widely scattered with poor communications, this restricted trade plus certain Russian tariffs but it meant a lot of knife smiths were local. They made puukkot, scissors, tools for local use etc but it's interesting to see that there were items exhibited internationally by Finnish makers too.I had to look up Rautalampi, it's some small place in Central Finland, a region I tend to avoid, Lapland too;):D But like Kauhava today, it was a place where local smiths were making quality knives on some scale.

Interestingly, the word Puukko is used internationally to describe a particular style of Finnish knife, but it doesn't come from one particular area/town as such, but the word is often used here by people to describe any fixed knife (assumption being that if it's fixed & here it will be a puukko even if it isn't:D) the word is also used by the Swedish speaking minority in Finland, to which I am attached, as a word in conversation. Similarly, many people associate the Laguiole as The French Knife when it is one, albeit dominant, of many interesting patterns as we can see here on these pages.

Jolipapa Jolipapa A truly fascinating cutlery work, how on earth did M.Pagé have the energy and resources to compile 6 vols in 8 years each c.1400 p??:eek: and no Internet to help out either! A cutlery equivalent of Michelangelo's Sistine Chapel, I'm not exaggerating.

The piece on the Duchy of Finland as it was was interesting: the population of Finland was about 2.5 million (5.5m today) Helsinki/Helsingfors claimed to have a population of 80k but it was almost certainly far bigger, censuses were tricky and inaccurate-nobody wanted to pay tax to either the govt.or the Russians in those days sigh!;) Viipuri/Viborg was the second largest city but confiscated by the USSR after 1944 when the war stopped here. Fiskars which gives its name to the metal/tool company (now some multi national corporation with not so much manufacturing in this country anymore like all the other supposed benefits of globalization ;)) is still a TINY village today about 1000 people but it is a crucible of metal industry. But the thing is the population was very small in those times and most people were still rural and widely scattered with poor communications, this restricted trade plus certain Russian tariffs but it meant a lot of knife smiths were local. They made puukkot, scissors, tools for local use etc but it's interesting to see that there were items exhibited internationally by Finnish makers too.I had to look up Rautalampi, it's some small place in Central Finland, a region I tend to avoid, Lapland too;):D But like Kauhava today, it was a place where local smiths were making quality knives on some scale.

Interestingly, the word Puukko is used internationally to describe a particular style of Finnish knife, but it doesn't come from one particular area/town as such, but the word is often used here by people to describe any fixed knife (assumption being that if it's fixed & here it will be a puukko even if it isn't:D) the word is also used by the Swedish speaking minority in Finland, to which I am attached, as a word in conversation. Similarly, many people associate the Laguiole as The French Knife when it is one, albeit dominant, of many interesting patterns as we can see here on these pages.
Pagé was a very curious mind, he was interested also in history. His was born in a family of famous Châtellerault cutlers (mostly table tools) and for a while a mayor and MP IIRC. He certainly worked a lot, knew many important people in the trade and around and was in touch with all the French consulates around the world to gather infos and statistics touching cutlery, but also wages and salaries, patterns, companies, mining, etc.
He was not surprisingly a great collector and part of his collections was sold after his death to the Sheffield museum of cutlery, all the documents he collected to write his book are now in Thiers, only a part has been classified as of today.

It's dark 19 hours a day now up here at latitude 63° N and it is not only exhausting but confusing:eek: So I don't know if I've posted this one in this thread already;) but it's become a very much liked and carried knife. Very kind present from@Jolipapa:cool: This horn covered Pradel shows a frame filling long blade, all those pins are flush to the horn and no warp or flaking which can be a depressing feature on many improperly cured horn handles. Again, like many French knives, reasonable to open and a very demanding spring to close-just as it should be.

xqE4Tdi.jpg

like many French knives, reasonable to open and a very demanding spring to close-just as it should be.

I have always though that is the way a folding knife should be regulated!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: It'a a joy to find one like that!!:D I have filed the leading corner of a blade's tang to achieve that sensible condition!!!:cool:

This thread is fantastic! I just found it today. I am also a fan of French knives (and knives of all sorts). But French knives speak to me. The thin blades (carbon steel or SS), filework, wood handles, great ergos, and excellent fit and finish. Simple, yet beautiful.

I will recycle a photo of my two favorite French knives which are lockbacks. I hope this is suitable for this thread. I live in Canada, and I sent these two back to France for engraving on the bolsters.
The walnut handle gets a lot of pocket time, it is my favorite. Please dont tell the other one. ;)
626028D2-6D2E-4C24-BD20-5EB7AE426510.jpeg

Back