French regional knives...

My regular Douk-Douk with his cousin, l'Ecureuil (The Squirrel), also from Cognet.

I personally prefer l'Ecureuil's blade shape.

iOfmZQa.jpg

I should carry mine more often. The handle is not the most comfortable, compared to a large wooden handle, for example. But mine is sharp too, and I love the looks.
I agree the handle is not the most comfortable, but for the light cutting chores I do it works just fine. I don’t think I’d like to do a lot of wood cutting that’s for sure.

A douk douk has been my everyday work knife for 10 years as a carpenter-joiner. Slim enough to forget you carry it but big and solid enough to do some serious work!
I found a way to open it one handed which comes in handy sometimes, I attached a lanyard to the bail and by holding it in my teeth I can pinch the blade with one hand and voilà! one hand opening haha!

A douk douk has been my everyday work knife for 10 years as a carpenter-joiner. Slim enough to forget you carry it but big and solid enough to do some serious work!
I found a way to open it one handed which comes in handy sometimes, I attached a lanyard to the bail and by holding it in my teeth I can pinch the blade with one hand and voilà! one hand opening haha!
I do the same thing with mine!

I have a co-worker who grew up in southern France (I forget the town, but I think it was somewhere near Pau; he could see the Pyrenees clearly from his home town). I asked him how he would pronounce Laguiole, and, to an American ear, it came out as log-e-ole. Log as in from a tree, long e as in the word tree, and ole as in the word hole.

It seems that France can cause many other problems for English-speaking people :):

Â

I got to looking for this thread for a little reading and reviewing, and found it back on Page 8!!!:eek: I guess we have a lot of knife subjects to discuss!!
Our world-wide virtual knife-club meeting!!:D

Back