French regional knives...

Just a few quick pictures of my new arrival today: Fontenille Pataud ‚Le Chamois‘ 10cm with Juniper

xLgO0wX.jpg

sPlIe98.jpg

Fits my hands like it was made for them. A new favorite -at least for the next days :)

Gerd

Great filework/guillochage on that beautiful knife!

Thanks. The beauty of ordering custom. I asked Monsieur Pierre Yves Joyeux

AIbEiAIAAABECKKc86yBj9v1hgEiC3ZjYXJkX3Bob3RvKihkNTJiMzc0YTUyNjcwZDFlMzJiMWViNzFlZTFkZTAyMTdlOTY5OGNmMAGE5gALRv7u5-Jpjcx-pgmFqEoESw

what he had in stock and he showed me these, among a few more all black option.

View attachment 1416597

I knew we had the winner! :thumbsup: :cool:

It certainly is a winner! I like those white streaks. Reminds me of long thin clouds on a dark blue sky. Great work by Monsieur Pierre Yves Joyeux!:thumbsup:

I feel like its part of the same shame that the French makers and the Sardinian resolza makers don't have some kind of outlet here in the states. :(

On the other hand, if they did, my social security checks may never last the first week of the month!:eek:

I feel like its part of the same shame that the French makers and the Sardinian resolza makers don't have some kind of outlet here in the states. :(
On the other hand, if they did, my social security checks may never last the first week of the month!:eek:

So you can imagine my situation, winter in France and summer in Sardinia. If I find again a source of GEC will finish homeless o_O

Â

H Haegar Brilliant new arrival Gerd :cool: Another aspect of French knives I admire is that you can still get stamped blades ( the Chamois head is ace) from many different manufacturers . Used to see that on German knives too but it's become very rare on American brands, a touch of class in my book.

Thanks, Will
Stamped blade dates of the creation of guildes in middle age. All members of the guild had a specific symbol. I prefer older stamps, they were smaller.
par défaut 2.jpg

Stamped blade dates of the creation of guildes in middle age. All members of the guild had a specific symbol. I prefer older stamps, they were smaller.

I agree but somehow I get the feeling that even those companies that are producing “old style” knives feel they have to change the traditional approach a bit. In the end it’s a business and you have to respect the wishes of the majority of your customers.

That said if I could have influenced the size of the stamp it would have been smaller. That kind of customization might be possible if done by laser but with a stamp at least not for a reasonable price.

I’m more than happy that FP was able to get the knife customized as they did. Juniper was not part of their Guilloche Range and I had some other minor changes which FP was able to take care of easily for only one knife.
Most companies are not able to handle that or require much larger quantities (like the BF 2020 knife).

Gerd

I agree but somehow I get the feeling that even those companies that are producing “old style” knives feel they have to change the traditional approach a bit. In the end it’s a business and you have to respect the wishes of the majority of your customers.

That said if I could have influenced the size of the stamp it would have been smaller. That kind of customization might be possible if done by laser but with a stamp at least not for a reasonable price.

I’m more than happy that FP was able to get the knife customized as they did. Juniper was not part of their Guilloche Range and I had some other minor changes which FP was able to take care of easily for only one knife.
Most companies are not able to handle that or require much larger quantities (like the BF 2020 knife).

Gerd
The more expensive the larger the stamp? :rolleyes: I think elder used symbols because writing the complete name would have been to much hassle. O tempora O mores...

Agreed, but I was not trying to say that size of the stamp increases with the price. It’s probably the other way around because that kind of advertising is not seen as adequate.

Gerd

Companies that can handle customization can do those things much easier if there are not any special tools needed. I.e. it’s easier and therefore probably cheaper to adjust the program of the laser edge (sizes) than to do the same requiring a new smaller stamp -if it doesn’t exist already.

Gerd

Back