Friction Folder

Just something to keep in mind. Friction Folders are not one hand openers or flippers. I ship them stiff, but you can always adjust them how you want it, then loctite the screw.

When I borrowed one from @woodysone I had success one-hand opening and closing using my leg. Pop it open a little with the tang and do the rest by hand. Close with the spine on the leg like you might do with a slipjoint or backlock for one-hand closing.

I really enjoyed the simplicity of the friction folder.

thanks JK, got mine! very cool knives!!!

is the standard blade's primary bevel ground slightly hollow?

it was the right idea getting two different ones. I understand why the brown micarta is a bit more expensive

one of them is easy to open one handed, the other is a bit more difficult but possible. have no need to make any adjustment for the moment

while I like modern one handed opening knives, I often find my preference is for the more traditional two handed opening folding knives

edit: going on day three of playing around with this knife, I've settled on breaking in the brown standard grind first.

not sure I have ever really enjoyed a knife like this before (of course I haven't, as this is my first experience with JK's cutlery)

I forgot how pleasant it is to watch a watch patina develop on o1, especially when it's finished like this blade. it may be my favorite (which I believe I say whenever I get to experience a new-to-me kind of steel's stainless-ness and there's patina involved)

and the drop point continues to grow and grow on me. one day I may have to order a custom friction folder, similar to the one pictured above

a superb winner with the blade. o1 may not be the best there is; there is good reason so many people like to use it to make high quality knives. it shines here, and it'll be a treat to get to know on the sticks and stones

and, did I mention, it is a substantial knife

the brown micarta, even at this level of finishing, it is quite a pleasure to gaze into

one of these, with a tweaked grind, same blade profile, the blade finished to mirror/high polish, and the brown micarta scales polished up a lot and contoured a tad differently (similar to picture posted earlier in here), and finished a bit more than the plain model...

oh, that would be nice :)

the thought of a decade's worth of yearly applications of tung oil and wax built up as layers, the sheen off that polished brown micarta, its sparkles and its shine!

Last edited:
uua14JU.jpg

RjAOjYe.jpg

RqmqmAA.jpg

sTRr7jz.jpg

that looks great!

did you get the black micarta?

the standard grind works better than the full flat grind with these imo

I need to fiddle a bit with the second one, the one with the full flat grind

need to adjust some of the play out of the pivot when the blade's open, which the standard grind seems to avoid due to the short primary bevels

I got the black micarta. Yes, I agree about the standard grind vs the flat grind. The standard grind works great with this knife.

Was Hijo de Luna working on a review if his FF? After the parry knife I guess.

Back