Friend of mine found old Knifetest.com video/ THIS is the Joe X DESTRUCTION VIDEO Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everything breaks..... I see this as a good thing, letting Him do the dirty work.
Look at it as a growing opportunity. To see WHERE. And How.

Heck, I'm a Beckerhead.
They broke too. Easier than I thought they would. I'm not crying. It's good to know these things.

Larrin has said (I think?) many times, that steel doesn't matter!

It's all about heat treating, and geometry.

Joe isn't doing edge cutting durability. Cutting a rope 1800 times makes for boring Youtube..... He is hitting hard things against Harder things. things break. That's Normal and expected.
-That is more stimulating for millenials, and younger.

A copper pipe wouldn't break.
But it wouldn't cut either. Too soft.

Our knives are a compromise. Hard/sharp.

Look at the failures, look to see if it pertains to Your situation?
If it doesn't. If you aren't going to do what he is doing??? Who Cares?

I want to make a knife for Joe to break, how do I go about that?
Haha.... 😅
I'll be sending him some myself if possible. Good outlook

The steel definitely changed over years, I smashed the TGULB into concrete yesterday not using full force, about 60%. The edge behaved similarly to Joe's testing so I stopped.

Anton, can you show pics of the edge?

I hammered both INFI and cpm3V into cement nails for 5-7 minutes each. Both steels indented, no chipping. I was trying to induce a fracture that would break the knife in half and I had no luck with either. Both knives did excellent,
N7P1w8d.jpg

I did the same with a kabar warsword as a tester and it did break in half after a few minutes. No shame though, as those cement nails are hard and tough. However, this shows how much tougher both 3v and INFI are than 1095. And they should be.
MC7NCjS.jpg

MuVR3J9.jpg

Little question here. Assuming that they change the steal at some point as some said. I got a basic 11 (which is probably my favorite knife ever) was it made before the change ?

The basic 11 uses the same steel that the basic 9 had. They both have the original mod INFI. Same people outside this forum may not know that there was two INFI formulas from the start. INFI didn't change, I think they just chose one formula over the other is my guess. Makes sense. No need to continue having two different steels. I have tested 4 modern knives and all have the mod INFI. The oldest regular run knife I tested was the BME Bolo LE and that one was also mod INFI, so the change to one steel happened early on, like 2001 ish. Again, this is all my conjecture because I don't know internally what they decided. All I know is what I tested.

Anton, can you show pics of the edge?

I hammered both INFI and cpm3V into cement nails for 5-7 minutes each. Both steels indented, no chipping. I was trying to induce a fracture that would break the knife in half and I had no luck with either. Both knives did excellent,
N7P1w8d.jpg

I did the same with a kabar warsword as a tester and it did break in half after a few minutes. No shame though, as those cement nails are hard and tough. However, this shows how much tougher both 3v and INFI are than 1095. And they should be.
MC7NCjS.jpg

MuVR3J9.jpg
I remember seeing these videos awhile back. VERY impressive! Thanks for doing this crazy test and sharing with us.

That is one HECK of a roll! I mean, multiple rolls. That is exactly the kind of legendary toughness INFI is known for.

I remember seeing these videos awhile back. VERY impressive! Thanks for doing this crazy test and sharing with us.

That is one HECK of a roll! I mean, multiple rolls. That is exactly the kind of legendary toughness INFI is known for.

No worries. Even before that, you can see how even when I use to throw my BM's one hit the other and it slightly dented both. Those were hard hits. A knife flying and rotating is hitting much harder than swinging with your hand
WSNFx6R.jpg

Last edited:
The basic 11 uses the same steel that the basic 9 had. They both have the original mod INFI. Same people outside this forum may not know that there was two INFI formulas from the start. INFI didn't change, I think they just chose one formula over the other is my guess. Makes sense. No need to continue having two different steels. I have tested 4 modern knives and all have the mod INFI. The oldest regular run knife I tested was the BME Bolo LE and that one was also mod INFI, so the change to one steel happened early on, like 2001 ish. Again, this is all my conjecture because I don't know internally what they decided. All I know is what I tested.
Thanks for you insight

Y’all gonna wanna see this🔥
The result is much better than the previous knife. but it’s still strange and sad that the knife broke so quickly after hitting the pipe. He recently tested a 1095 knife that withstood more than 500 blows before breaking. 1095!!!! Although 1095 is crap.
It’s a pity Busse doesn’t have knives made of S5 steel. I would buy a couple, but with a hardness of 55-57.

The result is much better than the previous knife. but it’s still strange and sad that the knife broke so quickly after hitting the pipe. He recently tested a 1095 knife that withstood more than 500 blows before breaking. 1095!!!! Although 1095 is crap..
What knife?

The result is much better than the previous knife. but it’s still strange and sad that the knife broke so quickly after hitting the pipe. He recently tested a 1095 knife that withstood more than 500 blows before breaking. 1095!!!! Although 1095 is crap.
It’s a pity Busse doesn’t have knives made of S5 steel. I would buy a couple, but with a hardness of 55-57.

I have to watch the other videos. I know for fact he goes really easy on the skrama. But he is wailing on the ash. I might get a skrama and just duplicate the stone and pipe hits at the super high force. See when it fails. Might be interesting.

I was surprised, it's a really cool knife.
Ah yes that is a cool knife, I owned a few. There are a few reasons why that knife passed that test.
That knife weighs 7.2 oz, is partial hollow handle, “spring steel” at 55hrc

It’s a bouncy light as a feather knife that it’s tough for its size.

The ASH 2 has much more length and weight = higher momentum and much much more force on the blade.

Ah yes that is a cool knife, I owned a few. There are a few reasons why that knife passed that test.
That knife weighs 7.2 oz, is partial hollow handle, “spring steel” at 55hrc

It’s a bouncy light as a feather knife that it’s tough for its size.

The ASH 2 has much more length and weight = higher momentum and much much more force on the blade.
True. The guy did 81 full force hits and it broke. After all the other stuff.

Just finished watching. Very interesting result. Overall it performed quite well IMO despite the disappointing blade breakage.

Needless to say, I'm still surprised other purportedly less tough blades have beat it in toughness. I need to go back and re-watch those again though to see if that's really the case as I seem to remember it was. I still don't think it should have broken in half like this given its proclaimed toughness, but what do I know?

Still, it's a brutal test and as Joe himself said, it'll be fine for most people when used as a knife, even when used hard.

The AFBM obviously had different geometry but this further shows something was off with that blade as we suspected.

If this type of result continues with INFI showing itself to be less tough than expected as Joe continues to test more INFI blades, I'm interested to see how the public (mostly forumites I'm talking about) will react and also what Jerry will have to say about it and if it means any changes or investigations based on what we're seeing.

Obviously, this could go the other way too and we just see a couple oddball failures and INFI is shown to be as tough as claimed. I didn't mean to paint a bleak picture. Just wondering out loud at the possibilities.

I'd REALLY, REALLY like to see more performance tests put out by the Busse team (!!!) and have felt this way for a long time. I enjoyed the few recent short videos they've put out over the past year or so and wished they'd do a lot more. It's both informative and entertaining.

I get that some will say they're not worth much due to bias (whether intentional or not) and independent tests are more valuable, but I still think there's value in having the manufacturer offering evidence for their owns claims. More data is always better as far as I'm concerned.

I'm not saying Busse doesn't or hasn't done this either, I know they've done live demonstrations and such in the past, but all that was before my time and I think it'd provide a lot of value to everyone of today, Busse included, to be putting out more content and to really know and show what the product can and can't do.

Speaking in a general sense, it can help guard against complacency and a company having assumptions about the ongoing quality of their materials and processes when something might have changed along the way and gone unnoticed and lessened the product's performance. I'm not saying Busse is doing that, I have no insight into their quality controls and in-house testing and will assume it is good until proven otherwise. I think Busse's proven integrity has earned trust in this respect.

Regarding the glock knife and some saying they'd like blades in other steels like S5 at lower hardness to provide more toughness, let's not forget, that since everything is a compromise, going in such a direction also means you lose out on the performance that actually matters for a knife, that is cutting stuff.

Make the knife softer and out of steel which holds an edge to a lesser degree and while it may be tougher, it works less optimal as a knife. Probably not a good trade-off for a knife. Worth it if you need to use it as a hammer or pry bar, but why not just get the proper tool instead of mis-using your knife like that?

And yes, a small light knife like that will carry much less momentum and appear to be much tougher than a bigger heavier blade like the AFBM.

That AFBM hits way harder than that Glock knife ever could so that Glock knife is taking less of a beating despite surviving more hits. It's just not the same energy input into the blade that the AFBM or ASH2 took.

1 full force hit with the AFBM might be equal to 5 or 10 hits on the Glock knife. They are not apples to apples!

then the leader is still Ares with sk85 steel. he weighs 1.1 kilograms and was definitely stronger than Busse. I hope Joe gets his hands on more knives to understand the statistics. for now Infi seems to be just an ordinary good steel, like many others. but nothing outstanding on this knife. it would be cool to make one geometry of knives and strike with the same force in the same direction (not with your hands, but on some device) and thus test geometrically identical knives, but with different steels and different hardnesses, in order to understand which steel and on what hardness is definitely the strongest. but personally I would rather buy a knife with 55 units. It’s not a problem for me to sharpen a knife, but the problem is to collect knife fragments in the field…. For a huge and heavy knife for a lot of money, it is important to be durable, otherwise you can buy a thin folding knife made of powder steel. I also didn’t like the coating on the knives (it looked like it was paint), and I didn’t like the lack of sheaths. but I'm willing to put up with anything, even the price, if I know it's excellent steel that's hard to break.
You can hate Joe for his words, but he showed what many steels and many knives are capable of under approximately equal conditions (although each blow is unique due to the difference in strength and vector, of course).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back