Friend of mine found old Knifetest.com video/ THIS is the Joe X DESTRUCTION VIDEO Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, the steel pipe test is a waste. Only knives that are hardened to mimic hammers will do well, I don't buy a knife to be a hammer.

The car door I could see a survival situation you need to do that and it was no problem. The tip test on the stump mimics prying a door open, it survived no problem.

If he did actual knife cutting test, I would imagine it would perform miles beyond the other knives he has done these tests with.

Seems to me he is just proving INFI is the best compromise out there (everything is a compromise).

My only remaining questions are with the new AFBM and is it somehow different than the vintage 5 year and older INFI?

then the leader is still Ares with sk85 steel. he weighs 1.1 kilograms and was definitely stronger than Busse. I hope Joe gets his hands on more knives to understand the statistics. for now Infi seems to be just an ordinary good steel, like many others. but nothing outstanding on this knife. it would be cool to make one geometry of knives and strike with the same force in the same direction (not with your hands, but on some device) and thus test geometrically identical knives, but with different steels and different hardnesses, in order to understand which steel and on what hardness is definitely the strongest. but personally I would rather buy a knife with 55 units. It’s not a problem for me to sharpen a knife, but the problem is to collect knife fragments in the field…. For a huge and heavy knife for a lot of money, it is important to be durable, otherwise you can buy a thin folding knife made of powder steel. I also didn’t like the coating on the knives (it looked like it was paint), and I didn’t like the lack of sheaths. but I'm willing to put up with anything, even the price, if I know it's excellent steel that's hard to break.
You can hate Joe for his words, but he showed what many steels and many knives are capable of under approximately equal conditions (although each blow is unique due to the difference in strength and vector, of course).
The Ares is not “stronger than Busse” , you could get an INFI blade same geometry as the Ares and be just as tough but that can’t be said the other way around.

Joes test aren’t a way to show ____ Steel is better than ____ Steel.

Only that one specific knife survives a particular test over another knife.

I’m sure the ASH 2 is “in the lead” as far as being a usable bushcraft camp knife. If you like bashing steel poles the 8 lb sledge would be “in the lead” over everything.

Side note the 5.56 not penetrating is crazy.

Last edited:
Where in any situation would you need to bang a knife into a steel pole a dozen times or more? Or smash your knife with concrete blocks or shoot them ? This testing really doesnt make much sense .Has anyone here done any of these things to a knife ? Now everyone who watches this will think all these knives are garbage because of this; its sending a bad and false message....

then the leader is still Ares with sk85 steel. he weighs 1.1 kilograms and was definitely stronger than Busse. I hope Joe gets his hands on more knives to understand the statistics. for now Infi seems to be just an ordinary good steel, like many others. but nothing outstanding on this knife. it would be cool to make one geometry of knives and strike with the same force in the same direction (not with your hands, but on some device) and thus test geometrically identical knives, but with different steels and different hardnesses, in order to understand which steel and on what hardness is definitely the strongest. but personally I would rather buy a knife with 55 units. It’s not a problem for me to sharpen a knife, but the problem is to collect knife fragments in the field…. For a huge and heavy knife for a lot of money, it is important to be durable, otherwise you can buy a thin folding knife made of powder steel. I also didn’t like the coating on the knives (it looked like it was paint), and I didn’t like the lack of sheaths. but I'm willing to put up with anything, even the price, if I know it's excellent steel that's hard to break.
You can hate Joe for his words, but he showed what many steels and many knives are capable of under approximately equal conditions (although each blow is unique due to the difference in strength and vector, of course).
Vlad what 1095 knife are you talking about?

I just looked up the ares. 0.283 inch thick low saber grind with convex edge and nearly 3 inch wide blade makes for one monster tough blade. Weights 38 ounces. I can see why it did so well. It's all about geometry. Kinda reminds me of the Busse war train. Except the war train was a high saber grind, so thinner edge profile than the ares. The ares is a prybar. Aside from the war train, I can't think of any other Busse that even comes close to that geometry. It's also Rc'd two points lower than INFI. 56-58. Vs 58-60. I would expect the Ares to do well. The ASH2 for being a thin geometry actually did pretty well.

Just because this thread needs more pix. Pretty sure it will do what I want.
These were on sale at the website Nov 25, 2015.
1eiGxCt.jpg

Last edited:
So here is the Skrama destruction test. One of his favorites and super tough. The blade broke in the bend test and it snapped again at 60 hits of the pole. Seems to me like the ASH2 kicked it's blunt azz. The ASH2 broke at 81 hits. And the ASH2 has better and thinner edge geometry. So even though we mau think the ASH2 should have done better, it actually kicked the crap out of the skrama.

I just made 50 strong blows with the butt on the pipe with each of my knives. Everything is fine. one knife is 2015, the second is 2017, a friend’s knife is 2019. The pipe was in the same position as Joe’s. I don't know... we need to know the year of manufacture of his knife, which he broke today. maybe the quality has gotten worse over the years...

Where in any situation would you need to bang a knife into a steel pole a dozen times or more? Or smash your knife with concrete blocks or shoot them ? This testing really doesnt make much sense .Has anyone here done any of these things to a knife ? Now everyone who watches this will think all these knives are garbage because of this; its sending a bad and false message....
🤔🤔🤔...Prison break? 😅 Although I highly recommend: 1.) Don't break the law, & 2.) If 1 is a fail, then def don't keep it in yer prison wallet.. lol 😉

When i saw Ankerson post a pic of the Alpha Regulator he got when it first came out, i knew i had to get one cause he did real world testing on knives , not to mention all the pounding you guys have done on Busses all these years, not this millenial youtube beyond reason nonsense ….

It would be interesting to see Jerry Busse Jerry Busse make a line of INFI that is tempered to ~56-57 with perhaps other tweaks (and maybe skipping cryo), all in the pursuit of increased overall durability and then record/post some destructive testing compared to regular INFI.

I recon that while edge stability/retention, ultimate sharpness and overall rigidity will likely suffer, (in other words, overall usefulness as a knife) the steel will nonetheless be much more resistant to shock/breakage at the same geometry as a knife at 59-60. I think that these attributes might be preferred for certain users and/or for knives in certain roles, and could sell very well. Maybe worth a pilot project…?

I just made 50 strong blows with the butt on the pipe with each of my knives. Everything is fine. one knife is 2015, the second is 2017, a friend’s knife is 2019. The pipe was in the same position as Joe’s. I don't know... we need to know the year of manufacture of his knife, which he broke today. maybe the quality has gotten worse over the years...
What’s knives were you doing that with?
To be specific the ASH 2 has is a 9 inch blade. Thin edge.

I’m assuming one of those knives is the Hellrazor with 8inch mid/low saber grind. Beefier edge.

I’m 99% sure the steel pole test after 20 hits is a test of geometry and not steel integrity.

If it fails at under 10 hits then yeah the steel could be bad or not even bad just not tough.

With INFI surviving (I counted ~95 hits) before breaking, it’s not Steel integrity that’s failing it’s just the metal not being thick enough or flexible enough to withstand that particular type of thing.

It’s like saying it “failed” because you took a welding torch to it. It didn’t fail, you just broke it lol.

It would be interesting to see Jerry Busse Jerry Busse make a line of INFI that is tempered to ~56-57 with perhaps other tweaks (and maybe skipping cryo), all in the pursuit of increased overall durability and then record/post some destructive testing compared to regular INFI.

I recon that while edge stability/retention, ultimate sharpness and overall rigidity will likely suffer, (in other words, overall usefulness as a knife) the steel will nonetheless be much more resistant to shock/breakage at the same geometry as a knife at 59-60. I think that these attributes might be preferred for certain users and/or for knives in certain roles, and could sell very well. Maybe worth a pilot project…?
I would immediately buy 2 of these knives! great idea.

What’s knives were you doing that with?
To be specific the ASH 2 has is a 9 inch blade. Thin edge.

I’m assuming one of those knives is the Hellrazor with 8inch mid/low saber grind. Beefier edge.

I’m 99% sure the steel pole test after 20 hits is a test of geometry and not steel integrity.

If it fails at under 10 hits then yeah the steel could be bad or not even bad just not tough.

With INFI surviving (I counted ~95 hits) before breaking, it’s not Steel integrity that’s failing it’s just the metal not being thick enough or flexible enough to withstand that particular type of thing.

It’s like saying it “failed” because you took a welding torch to it. It didn’t fail, you just broke it lol.
Hell's razor has a thickness of 0.21. I also used my badger attack and whiskey warden (0.22 and 0.145).
I hit a pipe that doesn’t move at all like Joe’s, the wall thickness is 5 mm, the metal is magnetic. but I don’t know how to identify possible cracks, my microscope did not show any cracks. There is no capillary flaw detection, nor ultrasound. It’s not even clear how the destruction begins, I think from the edge. but everything looks ok. By the way, does that mean you can’t make steel for a knife that won’t destroy? any ideas for steel s5? it seems to be hardened even more than 60
By the way, the new method of attaching the handles with epoxy glue and round spines works great.

Last edited:
Hell's razor has a thickness of 0.21. I also used my badger attack and whiskey warden (0.22 and 0.145).
I hit a pipe that doesn’t move at all like Joe’s, the wall thickness is 5 mm, the metal is magnetic. but I don’t know how to identify possible cracks, my microscope did not show any cracks. There is no capillary flaw detection, nor ultrasound. It’s not even clear how the destruction begins, I think from the edge. but everything looks ok. By the way, does that mean you can’t make steel for a knife that won’t destroy? any ideas for steel s5? it seems to be hardened even more than 60
By the way, the new method of attaching the handles with epoxy glue and round spines works great.
Unfortunately, There is no steel that can’t be destroyed.. even super tough S7 can be broken from repeated abuse.

But at shorter length like the badger attack, I’d bet it would take 5 times as many hits as the ash 2 did purely because it’s shorter and less force on the blade. The whiskey warden could go 1000 or more hits I bet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back