Friend of mine found old Knifetest.com video/ THIS is the Joe X DESTRUCTION VIDEO Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
During the entire test, I examined each knife more than 10 times with my old microscope. but now I want more magnification. So far I haven't discovered anything.

You might see microfractures on the edge, but not sure what magnification you need for that. Typically, you want to look at cross section of the failed part.

Would be interestingto look at this knife under magnification. Quite possibly the most abused Busse that hasn't broken. But I doubt there will be anything there.

Cliffs mistress
iaELydR.jpg
This is a relic! The combo grind is sick! 🤩

You might see microfractures on the edge, but not sure what magnification you need for that. Typically, you want to look at cross section of the failed part.
I inspect the entire knife with varying degrees of force and at different angles of incidence of light, the spine, slopes, edge, knife from the sides, even the tang.

Would be interestingto look at this knife under magnification. Quite possibly the most abused Busse that hasn't broken. But I doubt there will be anything there.

Cliffs mistress
iaELydR.jpg
We shouldn’t be distracted by JoeX‘s methods. A good knife is one that provides a lifetime of service to a knowledgeable well-intentioned user. You don’t need a knife that is indestructible, you need one that can take and carry a good working edge that can be easily maintained for 50 years, that provides a consistent, reliable and reasonable experience throughout.

A super tough blade that is unable to hold and edge or has poor geometry would be a poor performer throughout and would be ground away in short order. Just go back and look at those flea market knives proportedly made from soft 420 steel. If someone actually tries to use those, it requires constant maintenance, and would be almost unrecognizable within a year or two.

The military loves tough gear, but does that apply to the general user? Unlike those institution we are not looking for basic tools that can survive being issued to inexperienced 18 -year-olds under constant mind numbing or adrenaline pumping environments. The military expects to cycle through its troops and equipment over very short periods of time; we don‘t. Most of us lack the military’s vast logistics train and want more optimum experience over far longer periods of time. We have the time to learn how to get the most use out of our tools, so after decades of use, the knives still look good and are ready to provide many more years of useful service.

Any idiot can break a knife. There is no need for us to imitate them.

n2s

We shouldn’t be distracted by JoeX‘s methods. A good knife is one that provides a lifetime of service to a knowledgeable well-intentioned user. You don’t need a knife that is indestructible, you need one that can take and carry a good working edge that can be easily maintained for 50 years, that provides a consistent, reliable and reasonable experience throughout.

A super tough blade that is unable to hold and edge or has poor geometry would be a poor performer throughout and would be ground away in short order. Just go back and look at those flea market knives proportedly made from soft 420 steel. If someone actually tries to use those, it requires constant maintenance, and would be almost unrecognizable within a year or two.

The military loves tough gear, but does that apply to the general user? Unlike those institution we are not looking for basic tools that can survive being issued to inexperienced 18 -year-olds under constant mind numbing or adrenaline pumping environments. The military expects to cycle through its troops and equipment over very short periods of time; we don‘t. Most of us lack the military’s vast logistics train and want more optimum experience over far longer periods of time. We have the time to learn how to get the most use out of our tools, so after decades of use, the knives still look good and are ready to provide many more years of useful service.

n2s
I agree that a good knife don’t need to be indesrtuctable. For example, a barkriver aurora with its keen edge can be broken easily by Joe, yet its superior geometry and edge retention will out perform a 3cr indestructable super obtuse blade by far.

However, I don’t think indestructability is the first priority even for soldiers blades, it is always functionality, just like any other tools.
A blade can be plenty “indestructable”, and absolutely useless at the same time.
A tougher blade like Busse can be made to appear weak with unscientific tests.
Clamped in vice, a machete 22 inches long, 1/16 thick with little rigidity or a chinese 45hrc blade can be bent till they hit the vice itself,
while a Busse FBM may break when bent to 50 degrees.
But, the later can pry open a door, cut through a car, split logs, while the former can’t.
Some blades are like runaways that yields immediately,
while tough blades are the ones who stand the line ,
infront of the user,
against all odds,
they face the suck,
they may break,
but they always fight a good fight till the end.

And this fight is the testimony of their functinality, if a blade took 400 pounds and broke, then it is sufficient for a soldier to pry open a crate.
It is superior to a chinese 45hrc blade that bends easily 90 degrees which is more “indestructable”
We need warriors who will fight to hell,
not cowards runs away from their duty.

The OKC knives issued are tough, but not “indestructable”, they don’t need to be, they are “indestructable” enough, and that indestructability is derived from its strength, not yield, in terms of the runaway blades
For they fight to victory more than not,
they may fail,
but runaways are already lost before the war had begun!

:cool:

n2s

I agree that a good knife don’t need to be indesrtuctable. For example, a barkriver aurora with its keen edge can be broken easily by Joe, yet its superior geometry and edge retention will out perform a 3cr indestructable super obtuse blade by far.

However, I don’t think indestructability is the first priority even for soldiers blades, it is always functionality, just like any other tools.
A blade can be plenty “indestructable”, and absolutely useless at the same time.
Clamped in vice, a machete 22 inches long, 1/16 thick with little rigidity or a chinese 45hrc blade can be bent till they hit the vice itself,
But, the later can pry open a door, cut through a car, split logs, while the former can’t.
infront of the user,

against all odds,
they face the suck,
they may break,

And this fight is the testimony of their functinality, if a blade took 400 pounds and broke, then it is sufficient for a soldier to pry open a crate.
It is superior to a chinese 45hrc blade that bends easily 90 degrees which is more “indestructable”

The OKC knives issued are tough, but not “indestructable”, they don’t need to be, they are “indestructable” enough, and that indestructability is derived from its strength, not yield, in terms of the runaway blades
they may fail,

Agree with both of you. The only thing that people like joey end up doing is opening up the can of wupazz that Busse delivers. The fact is that anyone can make a soft tough thick knife for 40 bucks.

Actually what Joey's test did for me, is only prove to me that the Skrama is a lot of hype and all about geometry. A giant scandi grind with no tip that got it's azz kicked by the Busse ASH2, which has better cutting geometry and can actually stab.

The point of cliffs old BM is that it survived 25 years of abuse. And hard abuse. Mine is pictured above his and that knife has survived 2 cords of wood annually for 5 years and over 15000 throws into wood. Doesn't seem like much, but that log contains the broken tips of at least 30 to 40 knives. That's how abusive it is.

UEWLWGD.jpg

infront of the user,

against all odds,
they face the suck,
they may break,

they may fail,

Just as a side note here to touch on some common miscomceptions-

The military BUYS OKC blades but VERY few are "issued"

Today's issues combat knife is a Gerber multitool that is far below the quality standard of even a normal Gerber multitool.

In similar manner the govt purchased okc knifes are ABSOLUTELY terrible.

Agree with both of you. The only thing that people like joey end up doing is opening up the can of wupazz that Busse delivers. The fact is that anyone can make a soft tough thick knife for 40 bucks.

Actually what Joey's test did for me, is only prove to me that the Skrama is a lot of hype and all about geometry. A giant scandi grind with no tip that got it's azz kicked by the Busse ASH2, which has better cutting geometry and can actually stab.

The point of cliffs old BM is that it survived 25 years of abuse. And hard abuse. Mine is pictured above his and that knife has survived 2 cords of wood annually for 5 years and over 15000 throws into wood. Doesn't seem like much, but that log contains the broken tips of at least 30 to 40 knives. That's how abusive it is.

UEWLWGD.jpg

The skrama isn't a scandi grind- if it was it would perform far worse than it does.
The skrama's strength is a decent ht in 80crv2 and a long handle and tough tip.

However qc and f&f is poor, and mine chipped from nothing 🤷‍♂️

The skrama isn't a scandi grind- if it was it would perform far worse than it does.
The skrama's strength is a decent ht in 80crv2 and a long handle and tough tip.

However qc and f&f is poor, and mine chipped from nothing 🤷‍♂️

You are right it is actually a very low saber grind. But technically not a acandi.

You will love the video of the next knife i just sent him (from the swamp), that he will test after the bme2
It will not bend lol
Did he tell you when he'd be testing it?

I saw he posted that the next Busse test will be in February 2024.

Did you send him the BME2 as well?

Lastly, are you rich, crazy, or just hate those particular Busses or some combination of all three? 😂

If you look at the scrapper 6 test, it proved to be one of the toughest knives Noss tested. The edge gave way, but the knife never failed the main battery of tests. It eventually broke but it took a lot of hammering Noss testing was much more abusive than joey.

I stated above that Joeys baby boy skrama, which he touted as tough and really likes, failed sooner than the ASH2 on the bend test and in the pole chop. Yet, the Skrama is a hero and the ASH2 was a zero, in spite of the ASH2 having a much thinner edge profile and performing better.

Yet, here we are talking about other steels that likely would not fare better than the ASH given the same blade design and geometry.

You want to build the toughest knife, steel is only part of it, the blade and edge geometry is the main part. The Ares did well because of it's low saber grind/convex edge, which makes for a very thick edge.
What we do know is that joey hates pussey 😂
Have you seen a Skrama 240? I can tell you the edge is much thinner than a Ash2. The length of the handle also makes for much harder blows. Imo they have better heattreat.

Terava knives are also 6 times less money.

Have you seen a Skrama 240? I can tell you the edge is much thinner than a Ash2. The length of the handle also makes for much harder blows. Imo they have better heattreat.

Yeah, I posted the video for all to see. Did you see the design of the skrama? Its flat sided sheet steel to the begining of its primary edge. A low saber grind. The knife profile is thick for most of its width. So yes. Profile has a lot to do with it. The flat grind or high saber grind has much less metal going towards the edge. And even with full thickness at the tip its still snapped on the bend test. And it is 0.17 inch thick for 3/4 of it's width. The ASH is thinner than the skrama halfway down its width and after.

Skrama is 2.4 inches longer than the ash 2

Not much to cause that much harder blows. Unless it’s more about weight distribution?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back