Friend of mine found old Knifetest.com video/ THIS is the Joe X DESTRUCTION VIDEO Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
And if true, makes no sense as we are talking about which blade has more thickness all the way to the edge and thus the advantage in strength. Which is the measurement Jerry provided.

Also, since you keep on bringing bte up it is obvious from jerrys pic that it is also thicker bte. And thicker means more edge shoulder support in chopping and thus a stronger edge in favor of the skrama, design wise. But due to INFI being the better steel the Ash2 lasted longer.
uMzSUGU.jpeg
1- edge thickness is not thickness all the way to the edge by any official designation. BTE is Behind The Edge thickness- that is a synonymous with edge thickness.

2- it may be shown by his graphic if his engineer has a skrama and measured the BTE before making the graphic. It isn't shown by the graphic if they did not and the BTE is listed as an assumed and equal measurement.

My Battle Mistress is supposed to come in by 9pm tonight (I doubt that'll happen, it'll be tomorrow) in which case I will mic both and post the measurements first thing. (I'm way stoked)

1- edge thickness is not thickness all the way to the edge by any official designation. BTE is Behind The Edge thickness- that is a synonymous with edge thickness.

2- it may be shown by his graphic if his engineer has a skrama and measured the BTE before making the graphic. It isn't shown by the graphic if they did not and the BTE is listed as an assumed and equal measurement.

My Battle Mistress is supposed to come in by 9pm tonight (I doubt that'll happen, it'll be tomorrow) in which case I will mic both and post the measurements first thing. (I'm way stoked)

I am receiving a skrama as well. What I explained above is how it works. We all know what bte means. There is much more than that. You get caught up in bte. But blade profile before bte matters.

I am receiving a skrama as well. What I explained above is how it works. We all know what bte means. There is much more than that. You get caught up in bte. But blade profile before bte matters.
No, blade profile is NOT before bte-
They may be equal, but I can quickly and finely dice onion with a .391 blade with a Saber grind because of BTE where a 1/4" knife at .06+ absolutely will not.

There are 2 points where friction matters for all tasks- initial friction then deep cutting friction. 90% of our tasks are entirely determined by initial cutting friction which is entirely dependent on BTE.

Edge thickness means edge thickness- primary grind is a different subject.

We weren't told that information in this recent CAD drawing, it was left off.

Bte is very important to know.

I'd also like to know the volume of steel comparison of each cross section too.

Since we are told they are different.

(I don't have a dog in this fight, I just think it's all good info)

Congratulations on that new Anorexic Fusion Battle Mistress!

It's actually a Bushwhacker Battle Mistress!

Thanks!!! And as expected UPS changed my shipping to arriving tomorrow. 😓
YOWZA!!! . . . The Bushwhacker Battle Mistress features a convex bevel with extra bacon and is much thicker above the edge for added durability!!! o_O

On the other hand, the edge of the Anorexic Fusion Battle Mistress is very thin and is approximately .023" thick BEFORE sharpening.

AFTER sharpening, the top of the ground edge measures out at .029" - .031".

Let's Drink! :cool:

Jerry 😁

Ok, so I have had this Skrama for a LONG time but I did a quick final review because
A- it got a small chip in the edge which normally wouldn't bother me but I did NOTHING to earn it which does bother me
B- the edge is poorly ground, not all that straight even, and just generally wonky, and
C- If I did need the warranty where do I go? Nowhere.

My final review said it performed well but between the poor f&f and the wonky edge and lack of warranty I wouldn't recommend it as compared to some other knives in its class.

This is an EARLY Skrama and idk if they still do it but they did a "compound grind" i think they called it where near the handle a section's micro bevel is ground higher to produce a finer cutting edge.

The difference in micro bevel is slight- and of course it is because the main edge measured out between 16 and 18 thou! The "thinner" but marginally higher grind is 24 thou but at this edge thickness the difference in micro bevel is visually marginal- as is the difference in slicability. Idk if I have ever said that an edge on a production knife is too thin... I probably don't need to tell anyone here that that is VERY thin. My survive is 18 thou albeit with a beautiful grind and it's ffg making the full edge paper thin- but even with that and a 4" blade I feel it's a little too thin for what I typically use knives for.

It sure is nice for edc and for food prep though!

Anyways-

I'm shocked to say I actually hope current skrama's are thicker bte. This knife NEEDS that low Saber for that bte- but with an edge that isn't straight anyways if they have any ht issues kiss the edge goodbye.

I'm very surprised. I expected 25 tbh

1000011131.jpg

YOWZA!!! . . . The Bushwhacker Battle Mistress features a convex bevel with extra bacon and is much thicker above the edge for added durability!!! o_O

On the other hand, the edge of the Anorexic Fusion Battle Mistress is very thin and is approximately .023" thick BEFORE sharpening.

AFTER sharpening, the top of the ground edge measures out at .029" - .031".

Let's Drink! :cool:

Jerry 😁

Well a thicc edge is a thick edge and can have its place especially on a beefy hunk of steel.

I think .029- .031 is the PERFECT place for one of these knives to be!

Been a few years since I’ve seen the Busse forum get this…scientifical. A bit refreshing.

It will get more technical later. Imo, BTE thickness by itself is only partially meaningful. People throw the number around a lot. This or that is perfect but they dont take the full context of the blade and edge profile into account.

An analogy I will use as a hint is cam timing and lift for an american v8. I can tell someone I have a 280 degree cam. I didn't give them the lift and I didn't give them the duration at 0.05" lift. That last two specs are measurable quantities that anyone can compare. Same goes for edge and blade profile specs.

This is an EARLY Skrama and idk if they still do it but they did a "compound grind" i think they called it where near the handle a section's micro bevel is ground higher to produce a finer cutting edge.

They still do that "compound" grind. It's gimmicky and unnecessary - a feature that I think they decided to throw in so they could simply market it without putting a whole lot of design effort into making it into something worthwhile. In use, I've found it to have little to no impact.

To some of your other points: these are knives that are mass-produced in great quantities. Uneven bevels and imperfect grinds are something I've come to expect in production level product and since such product is generally inexpensive, I don't find it to be that big of deal. It's also easily corrected in most cases.

One final thought - did you reach out to Varusteleka to get clarification on their warranty? They don't have it readily stated on their site that I could find so I'm curious if you reached out at all.

They still do that "compound" grind. It's gimmicky and unnecessary - a feature that I think they decided to throw in so they could simply market it without putting a whole lot of design effort into making it into something worthwhile. In use, I've found it to have little to no impact.

To some of your other points: these are knives that are mass-produced in great quantities. Uneven bevels and imperfect grinds are something I've come to expect in production level product and since such product is generally inexpensive, I don't find it to be that big of deal. It's also easily corrected in most cases.

One final thought - did you reach out to Varusteleka to get clarification on their warranty? They don't have it readily stated on their site that I could find so I'm curious if you reached out at all.
Yeah the compound grind is gimmicky and silly. Shouldn't even be marketed as such.

"Uneven bevels and imperfect grinds are something I've come to expect"
In 2005 I would agree.

Today with Esee and Kabar etc not so much. There is no excuse today for wavy edges.

And yes I reached out to varustaleka.

It will get more technical later. Imo, BTE thickness by itself is only partially meaningful. People throw the number around a lot. This or that is perfect but they dont take the full context of the blade and edge profile into account.

An analogy I will use as a hint is cam timing and lift for an american v8. I can tell someone I have a 280 degree cam. I didn't give them the lift and I didn't give them the duration at 0.05" lift. That last two specs are measurable quantities that anyone can compare. Same goes for edge and blade profile spspecs.
BTE is almost never discussed, ESPECIALLY outside of blade nerd places like bladeforums, and it is essentially NEVER advertised.
The primary grind however is OBVIOUS and is ALWAYS advertised.
So to your point of timing and lift- I agree- however you have it backwards and also fail to consider the amount of difference between a flat grind of any type at different btw- the ENTIRE grind will be thinner at a thinner BTE for an equal height meaning that the same looking grind on two of the same knives with different btw will perform MASSIVELY different-

And yet BTE is never advertised.

I know of 1 company/ maker that openly advertised BTW and that is Fobos knives.
Jerry has told us the BTE on the anorexic BM which is far more than most can do, idk if it is publicly advertised however.

I would love for it to become an industry standard.

Anyways- BTE is FAR more important than primary grind and I have proven it repeatedly comparing very similar knives by size and weight and having VASTLY different performance differences that were unexplainable without BTE.

Ergo the reason that 98% of market thinks that the way their knife does or does not perform is based in magic. 🤷‍♂️

Today with Esee and Kabar etc not so much. There is no excuse today for wavy edges.

Eh, I see wonky bevels on Beckers all the time and the grinds found on BRKTs should never leave the shop - just to name a couple (and don't get me started on folders). I don't buy Esee so I have no experience there - are their blades still made by Rowen?

I guess my point is this: I still don't understand why we are comparing these kinds of knives to Busse.

And yes I reached out to varustaleka.

What was their response? I'm curious what their verbiage was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back