Friend of mine found old Knifetest.com video/ THIS is the Joe X DESTRUCTION VIDEO Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did he tell you when he'd be testing it?

I saw he posted that the next Busse test will be in February 2024.

Did you send him the BME2 as well?

Lastly, are you rich, crazy, or just hate those particular Busses or some combination of all three? 😂
February 2024 for the two
He has the bme2 right now, the mega RMD will ship soon
I think i'm a little bit crazy lol, but after collecting and using Busses since the BS went out, i needed some more fun and excitment
Like a happy ending before switching hobbies

Have you seen a Skrama 240? I can tell you the edge is much thinner than a Ash2. The length of the handle also makes for much harder blows. Imo they have better heattreat.

Terava knives are also 6 times less money.
The Skrama blade was snapped with a much thicker tip than ASH2, then it it much shorter than ASH2, so there is no such harder blows in the test(Plus Joe was especially gentle with this one).
How do you get that they have the better heattreat?

Definitely more weight forward
That is probably true.
But, more weight forward doesn’t mean a better chopper, and a better chopper doesn’t mean a better knife
We mustn’t foucus on only one aspect or one funtionality of a blade, any tool should be evaluated as a whole.

Honestly the Terrava knives are more closely comparable to Sykco’s, and one of the terrava handles was slipping off the tang in one of joes tests…
No thanks.

I’ll take a Gerber Strongarm over a terrava any day if price per value is in the mix.

Still can’t wait for a Strongarm sized Sykco… TNT handle.

Honestly the Terrava knives are more closely comparable to Sykco’s, and one of the terrava handles was slipping off the tang in one of joes tests…
No thanks.

I’ll take a Gerber Strongarm over a terrava any day if price per value is in the mix.

Still can’t wait for a Strongarm sized Sykco… TNT handle.
short version of the sword res-c handle? sounds like a good idea.

Skrama is 2.4 inches longer than the ash 2

Not much to cause that much harder blows. Unless it’s more about weight distribution?
Leverage- 2" is a massive difference in force when comparing these knives- both for the handle and blade.

The difference between the Junglas 2 and the Junglas is about 2" I believe and that difference puts the knives into an entirely different performance category.

February 2024 for the two
He has the bme2 right now, the mega RMD will ship soon
I think i'm a little bit crazy lol, but after collecting and using Busses since the BS went out, i needed some more fun and excitment
Like a happy ending before switching hobbies
Nice. The BMe2 should do pretty good. Similar to ASH2

However the mega RMD is going to get obliterated very quickly my guess… Those have too deep of a hallow grind applied on the thick stock.

Last edited:
Nice. The BMe2 should do pretty good. Similar to ASH2

However the mega RMD is going to get obliterated very quickly my guess
… Those are known to have edge issues and failure because of how that hallow grind was applied on the thick stock.
Exactly this.

INFI by all accounts should be considerably tougher than SR-101 so it will do good, but there's no way that thin hollow ground edge of the Mega RMD is going to survive anything past the car. (but it wasn't meant to)

It would be sad if the overwhelming ignorance of the declared test results didn't overshadow that because the Mega RMD will be declared to be "garbage" (but said in much stronger language I'm sure) because it most certainly will break in Joe's usual tests. The obvious design intent of the knife will be completely ignored. It will be the equivalent of having a thin 8"-10" gyuto tested and then saying the knife is total trash because it couldn't make it through a single one of Joe's standard tests. Obviously those knives are meant to do very specific things and do them very well, so we all know they're not junk despite failing his tests. But I'm just repeating the sentiment so many have already shared so I'm not really saying anything new.

The Mega RMD may not bend as Raoh67 Raoh67 said, but the edge will suffer breakouts and the tip may not last under severe bends.

I'm mostly just interested in getting more data on INFI.

Joe needs to get his hands on a HOGFSH or ASH1. I’m certain those would become some of the best blades for this type of test.

A fat ASH1 or any of those HOG blades would be fun to see.

Eh, I feel like comparing Terävä blades to Busses is like apples to oranges. They aren't even in the same league, nor are they marketed as such. I like knives and I happen to like both but I am not going to ever think that comparing the two manufacturers is a fruitful endeavor.

Terävä blades are manufactured by Lauren Metalli, a company that churns out blades for a lot of different brands. They are known for their good, consistent quality and their economical cost - they only make blades, if memory serves. They do a good heat treat on the limited steels they use but it isn't anything fancy and to my knowledge, it isn't marketed as such. I would expect Joe to go easy on these knives simply because they aren't American made and they don't have a huge fanbase or significant marketing machine. To the contrary, the Varustelaka folks never seem to take themselves too seriously (now those fellas would be a lot of fun to drink with, I'm sure).

The more I find out about this Joe guy, the more I feel that he doesn't warrant all the attention he is getting. He literally thrives on this kind of crap. He and his fans deserve each other. I don't think I'd want to drink with him, he'll probably try to break my knife.

Have you seen a Skrama 240? I can tell you the edge is much thinner than a Ash2. The length of the handle also makes for much harder blows. Imo they have better heattreat.

Terava knives are also 6 times less money.
Anton,

I had my CNC guys draw up the geometry on both the ASH2 and the Skrama. Nothing you state about the edge being "much thinner" is even close to the facts. At only 5/8" above the edge, the Skrama is nearly 1/16" thicker than the ASH2. Please see the attached pic.

As for the edge on your Gemini not holding up, please either post a pic of it or send it to me privately at jerry@bussecombat.com and I'll post it for you.

Let's Drink!

Jerry

Skrama Bevel Geometry Pic.jpg

Anton,

I had my CNC guys draw up the geometry on both the ASH2 and the Skrama. Nothing you state about the edge being "much thinner" is even close to the facts. At only 5/8" above the edge, the Skrama is nearly 1/16" thicker than the ASH2. Please see the attached pic.

As for the edge on your Gemini not holding up, please either post a pic of it or send it to me privately at jerry@bussecombat.com and I'll post it for you.

Let's Drink!

Jerry

View attachment 2436493

This is just another way of saying Cobalt was right ;)

Troller debunked
Anton,

Let's Drink!

Jerry

View attachment 2436493

🤣

I see in alot of Joe x ‘s comment section that alot of people are basing their purchases on these tests or waiting to see how a particular knife holds up before they buy it and seems like they wont buy the knife based in the results . These people are fooling and cheating themselves out of certain knives that in normal or even a bit of hard use would be perfectly fine. Its so ignorant ….

Exactly this.

INFI by all accounts should be considerably tougher than SR-101 so it will do good, but there's no way that thin hollow ground edge of the Mega RMD is going to survive anything past the car. (but it wasn't meant to)

It would be sad if the overwhelming ignorance of the declared test results didn't overshadow that because the Mega RMD will be declared to be "garbage" (but said in much stronger language I'm sure) because it most certainly will break in Joe's usual tests. The obvious design intent of the knife will be completely ignored. It will be the equivalent of having a thin 8"-10" gyuto tested and then saying the knife is total trash because it couldn't make it through a single one of Joe's standard tests. Obviously those knives are meant to do very specific things and do them very well, so we all know they're not junk despite failing his tests. But I'm just repeating the sentiment so many have already shared so I'm not really saying anything new.

The Mega RMD may not bend as Raoh67 Raoh67 said, but the edge will suffer breakouts and the tip may not last under severe bends.

I'm mostly just interested in getting more data on INFI.

A fat ASH1 or any of those HOG blades would be fun to see.

Anton,

Let's Drink!

Jerry

View attachment 2436493
I personally would take his statement about the edge thickness to be one of bte not primary grind.
I haven't mic'd either although I can mic a BM tomorrow when one comes in and the skrama and post them.

I personally would take his statement about the edge thickness to be one of bte not primary grind.
I haven't mic'd either although I can mic a BM tomorrow when one comes in and the skrama and post them.

And if true, makes no sense as we are talking about which blade has more thickness all the way to the edge and thus the advantage in strength. Which is the measurement Jerry provided.

Also, since you keep on bringing bte up it is obvious from jerrys pic that it is also thicker bte. And thicker means more edge shoulder support in chopping and thus a stronger edge in favor of the skrama, design wise. But due to INFI being the better steel the Ash2 lasted longer.
uMzSUGU.jpeg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back