From the arcane world of knifemaking...

Status
Not open for further replies.
After eading many posts regarding "knifemaking" on this forum and others I began to think I was wrong in believing that making a blade is simple. I thought there might be something to designing, profiling, beveling and heat treating a finished blade from bar stock - so I did it.

I was not wrong. It's S I M P L E

If blademaking is so simple, why don't you post up a WIP to show us just how good you are? If it is so simple to you something like this http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=808143 should be no problem for you. Or, if a wood handle is more your style, how about something like this http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=808140

It should't take you but a couple of hours.

Bruceter

If blademaking is so simple, why don't you post up a WIP to show us just how good you are? If it is so simple to you something like this http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=808143 should be no problem for you. Or, if a wood handle is more your style, how about something like this http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=808140

It should't take you but a couple of hours.

Bruceter

That looks impressive, expensive and very complicated - thanks for passing the photographs of an authentic "knifemaker" along.

chisos01_op_769x564.jpg

It's simple for me and difficult for some. For some, this disparity causes resentment and envy

Last edited:

It's simple for me and difficult for some. For some, this disparity causes resentment and envy

Nice Knife! Why all the Photoshop filters?
Chisosmonkey.jpg

I do envy a lot of people on this site. You are definitely not one of them.

This Monkey is like a train wreck for me.

mediocre work is never difficult, no matter what art form a person chooses to apply themselves to.

I will be holding a "Knifemaking - Plain and Simple" course. I welcome all of you to come Texas and go through my one (1;-) day course which will consist of:

1. designing the blade
2. profiling the blade
3. drilling holes in tang for bolts ad beveling the blade
4. heat treating
5. engineering the handle and handle/blade attachment
6. shaping and finishing the knife
*using a shop with a total equipment budget of < $800

Since a tool is only as good as the man who makes it, there will be a selection and assessment phase for being accepted into the course. You must meet the following minimum qualifications:

1. have an IQ over 100
2. pass a physical fitness test
3. have a resume that demonstrates accomplishment and merit in areas other than
grinding away everything that does not look like a knife.

I can accomodate 3 "students" (from this particular forum) which will most likely be more than enough;-)

a fool and his $$ are soon parted.

I was recently approached to teach a craft course on knifemaking (after scrapbooking class is over) at a local mental hospital as a form of kinesthetic therapy for the physically impaired. Please let me know if you gentlement have any ideas on how to structure the course - thanks in advance

I'm quite confident that even the mentally and physically impaired are capable of assembling a kit knife.

I'd structure it something like this.

1. Buy a complete knife blank online from Jantz.

2. Add a handle.

3. Have them join various knife forums and claim they are a "knife maker".

I will be holding a "Knifemaking - Plain and Simple" course. I welcome all of you to come Texas and go through my one (1;-) day course which will consist of:

1. designing the blade
2. profiling the blade
3. drilling holes in tang for bolts ad beveling the blade
4. heat treating
5. engineering the handle and handle/blade attachment
6. shaping and finishing the knife
*using a shop with a total equipment budget of < $800

Since a tool is only as good as the man who makes it, there will be a selection and assessment phase for being accepted into the course. You must meet the following minimum qualifications:

1. have an IQ over 100
2. pass a physical fitness test
3. have a resume that demonstrates accomplishment and merit in areas other than
grinding away everything that does not look like a knife.

I can accomodate 3 "students" (from this particular forum) which will most likely be more than enough;-)

Ok, I've done the first five steps already.

I figure we can build your "Valley Forge" Model

I called Knifekits and ordered their stock # CQB1BL which was actually designed/engineered by my buddy Bob, by the way...

And, it is clearly what you have renamed "Valley Forge"

So, by doing that, I did your first 5 steps.
They are done, mission accomplished.

I better have a beer or something after that rough patch of engineering I went through.

It was a bit dicey there for a second, didn't know if the call was gonna go through.
Turns out I just had to hit the little green phone shaped button though.
All was well after I engineered my way out of that predicament.

So, I've got a great head start on the intensive 1 day course!

I petition this get moved to the W&C "dumbass thread" for some "feedback" from that crowd.

...oh crap, I was gonna stay out of this train wreck...

3. have a resume that demonstrates accomplishment and merit in areas other than grinding away everything that does not look like a knife.
Clearly we won't need that particular skill set.
We will just let some one else do all that pesky making the knife part...

please go to w&c, please go to w&c, please go to w&c, please go to w&c..........

BMK... your run for best troll is sadly underpowered... I dont even think your trolling enough to be put in the D.A. thread in whine & cheese... I will show you your betters though, This guy Trolls better than you do...

-social-facepalm-1300581701.jpg

by me using another trolls troll, to Rick roll troll you and the rest of those reading this thread, that inherrently makes this post full of WIN and AwesomeSauce...and me the troller of trolls... I am your king, Your argument is invalid.

Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back