G19 or M&P compact 2.0?

fishface5

Gold Member
I found out my beloved Caracal C was recalled years ago as unsafe. I've put thousands of rounds through it without a hitch, but don't want to take chances with carry or hot defensive rounds, so time for a replacement. I like both of the above pistols; the M&P is cheaper but after upgrades should be better but more $$. Thoughts?

I recently went with the G19 gen 5- definitely fits my hand better without the finger grooves- a ton of different upgrades and accessories compared to what I'm used to with H&Ks after market.

If price is a driving factor then by all means gwt whichever one is cheaper. Personally I don't buy a defensive firearm like that, especially with so many outstanding options so close in price.
I have owned a lot of manufacturers, Beretta, Sig, HK, S&W, Springfield, Colt, but I come back to and primarily carry Glock. I wont get into all the why, not badmouthing the rest, but the reason is because Glocks work best for me. Stupid simple to work on myself, affordable endless and interchangeable parts, holsters, etc, etc, and simplicity of use. I will continue to own and carry others, but they will never fully replace my Glocks.

Chrck out the NEW Glock 45 (Gen5) which is a G17 frame with G19 slide.
Then theres the G19 Gen5 MOS which has no hole in the face of the grip and is slide cut for a red dot and has a longer sight radius.
One of those two will be my next.

I don't have a 19 , I do have a 17 and a 26. I took 5 different brands of ammo, 2 were steel cased 2 were H.P's both 115 and 124 grain bullets then threw a big handful of 20 year old dirty hot loaded reloads in too . I had close to 200 rounds in this mix . They were randomly loaded In the magazines of these 2 guns I was trying to get a failure both guns ate everything like nothing I carry a 29 often it is close to the 19 in size

Last edited:
Go to a range that lets you rent guns to shoot and try them both out. Most comfortable in the hand and easiest to shoot is very subjective and requires some shooting to figure out. Having said that, check out the CZ's as well P07 and P10C would be the similarly sized ones based on the G19 and M&P OP asked about. Please report back you choice and why.

I would recommend the G19 over a M&P for sure. But now a G19 or a Sig P320; that’s a better question.

I think most would say get the G19. I shoot the S&W better, and some folks like having a thumb safety as an option. The S&W is a very soft shooter. I'd try one of each out before I made the final decision.

I would recommend the G19 over a M&P for sure. But now a G19 or a Sig P320; that’s a better question.

The Sig P320-M17 w/thumb safety is definitely a great shooter. Just too big for comfortable carry for me.

Last edited:
For me I would have a hard time choosing between my gen 4 g19 or sig p320 carry/compact. Basically you buy a carry size p320 and buy a compact frame and mag. Then you have two sizes of pistols and full size back up mags. G19 is a stable though. You can’t go wrong with a g19. The F150 of striker fired pistols. Out of box reliability... Glock all day.

As for the M&P’s, full size is too big for edc and the compact is too small and bulky for me (same with the g26). I also find the hinged trigger annoying in that the trigger pull and resets are very inconsistent between handguns. I will say that for the money, the shield is a good little gun, but that is a total different size class.

For me I would have a hard time choosing between my gen 4 g19 or sig p320 carry/compact. Basically you buy a carry size p320 and buy a compact frame and mag. Then you have two sizes of pistols and full size back up mags. G19 is a stable though. You can’t go wrong with a g19. The F150 of striker fired pistols. Out of box reliability... Glock all day.

As for the M&P’s, full size is too big for edc and the compact is too small and bulky for me (same with the g26). I also find the hinged trigger annoying in that the trigger pull and resets are very inconsistent between handguns. I will say that for the money, the shield is a good little gun, but that is a total different size class.

Holy crap:confused:....don't compare it to a Ford. Poor thing.;)

I would avoid the P320 at all costs unless you can verify the drop safety has been upgraded to the newest version used in the Military submissions. It's a voluntary upgrade not a mandatory recall, so buyer beware. Sig's link below...add a "www." to the front.

sigsauer.com/support/p320-voluntary-upgrade

You need to try both out, there are some like myself that the Glock grip angle doesn't work for. Both are comparable firearms IMO>

I would avoid the P320 at all costs unless you can verify the drop safety has been upgraded to the newest version used in the Military submissions. It's a voluntary upgrade not a mandatory recall, so buyer beware. Sig's link below...add a "www." to the front.

sigsauer.com/support/p320-voluntary-upgrade

All P320's with the short trigger have the upgrade.

I found out my beloved Caracal C was recalled years ago as unsafe. I've put thousands of rounds through it without a hitch, but don't want to take chances with carry or hot defensive rounds, so time for a replacement. I like both of the above pistols; the M&P is cheaper but after upgrades should be better but more $$. Thoughts?

They’re both great guns and I don’t think you could really go wrong with either one.

Some people seem to find the glock grip uncomfortable and some people prefer it, so if there is a local shop where you can try holding both that may decide it for you.

In terms of aftermarket parts i’m not as familliar with M&p stuff but with glocks there are guns out there with virtually zero original glock parts.

Well I have had several glocks and wanted something different. And last week I shot a gen4 g19 along with many other guns. But today I shot a gen 5 and, for me anyway, it was head and shoulders above all others in terms of accuracy - m&p but also SIG, FN, Walther, H&k, Cz (full size), etc etc. Glock it is!

:) Is that a compensator ? Does it help ? :confused:

Looks cool anyway . :cool::thumbsup:
It does, but it's not necessarily needed as it's just 9mm, I do like that it helps keep the light clean, and if one is in close quarters scuffle pushing it against somebody it won't push the slide out of battery.

Last edited:
Back