GB1 - perhaps the knife I would miss the most.

I’ve been taking a break from carrying CRK to enjoy a few months with my GB1 in the pocket. I’ve always loved this knife. A few months of very hard use have made me love it even more. I’ve had some tough jobs for this bad boy, and it has delivered in spades. The heat treat and edge retention are worthy of the reputation that M4 has.

If any Spyderco deserves a resurrection, it is this knife. I would miss mine very much if I lost it and could not replace it. It is a such a joy to use, I have to take that risk.

This vid (not mine) spells out my feelings:

Here is the knife in the video now. Approaching 7 years of EDC rotation. From unconventional gas exploration field work to office carry. It has seen a lot.

AF574-E60-4-D16-4-D9-F-9590-CF14-D76481-EB.jpg

F372-C369-79-F8-4-BA3-AF09-6-B50-EC202-F50.jpg

Gb1 is my edc work knife
I’m a carpenter and I use it every day like 50 times. The thin edge (not as thin as it used to be) with the high hollow grind makes it awesome for a woodworker. And the m4 is tough as hell. Have a nib one sitting in a drawer if I lose this one.
But yes, if there was EVER a spyderco worth resurrection, it’s the gb1

I like the thicker liners, finger choil design, blade shape, grip shape, larger Spydie hole, and over all looks of the 1 better. IMO, they should have kept the 1 in production and called the 2 a different model entirely.
I agree with this. The GB2, while a very nice knife in its own right, took away the things that made the GB1 special in my opinion. The downward canted blade, large oblong handle, thick steel liners, shortish blade, and large spidey hole most notably. Kinda everything Gayle mentions as “purpose-built-work-knife” features of the GB1 in the linked video is gone in the GB2

Last edited:
My dream Spydie is a GB1 in DLC with a back-lock. I love the CF/G10 scales (they are bomb-proof), the shape (unique in all of knifedom), and the tremendous blade grind. A true ambidextrous back-lock would be awesome.

Hello Cody, nice write up, thank you for that.
I have one of those, love the way it slices.
Hope you are doing well, it's been a while.

Rich

So, I know how this works...........

I asked for someone to message me if they had a user or NIB GB1 and someone came through!

I just scored a GB1 for a deal! Pics to come. I hate you enablers.

I asked for someone to message me if they had a user or NIB GB1 and someone came through!

Damn, I’ll take one too! Seriously though, congrats.

Last edited:
I’ve been taking a break from carrying CRK to enjoy a few months with my GB1 in the pocket. I’ve always loved this knife. A few months of very hard use have made me love it even more. I’ve had some tough jobs for this bad boy, and it has delivered in spades. The heat treat and edge retention are worthy of the reputation that M4 has.

If any Spyderco deserves a resurrection, it is this knife. I would miss mine very much if I lost it and could not replace it. It is a such a joy to use, I have to take that risk.

This vid (not mine) spells out my feelings:

And the classic justification for this great design from the man himself:

MVW’s knife video reviews are the best. I haven’t handled the GB2, but I’m glad I snagged a GB1 a year ago. Agree that it feels as good if not better than many custom folders. It is solid with an awesome blade steel. One with micarta inserts/scales would be perfect.

Hello Cody, nice write up, thank you for that.
I have one of those, love the way it slices.
Hope you are doing well, it's been a while.

Rich
Hey Rich. It has been some time. I also hope you and yours are well. I am glad I offered up something worth reading.

I’m looking forward to some pictures and you should be looking forward to a sore thumb ;)

Gb1 is my edc work knife
I’m a carpenter and I use it every day like 50 times. The thin edge (not as thin as it used to be) with the high hollow grind makes it awesome for a woodworker. And the m4 is tough as hell. Have a nib one sitting in a drawer if I lose this one.
But yes, if there was EVER a spyderco worth resurrection, it’s the gb1
Thanks for sharing. My sentiments exactly. Wish I had a spare one in the drawer myself.

Back