Gear Thread

^ ther's a good potential pile of cash sitting right there, if you're willing and able to put some "elbow grease" into it ;)

View attachment 912663 It would take more money and time than I have to spare.
View attachment 912662
Had her about 15 years now. Best $2750 I’ve ever spent. Been on some great family trips. Made some great family memories!

Nice! Is that a Vanagon? My buddy in California had an old Vanagon and we went to concerts in that thing....:cool: We dubbed it The Bus. It had a table that folded down and I just thought that was the neatest thing.

after 21 years, my '74 Westy found a new home. It was a couple weeks ago, but it still makes me a little sad even now. This was my first vehicle, and I always intended to give er the ole re and re, but I'm too goddamn busy for that. Good news is that this went to a guy I know who doesn't live far away who is going to restore it. I got him to agree to give me the right of first refusal

so many great road trips, so many great memories!

I commissioned this pack from Dan McHale in 2014 and it is one of the single most awesome pieces of gear I own... I'm talking running into a burning building to retrieve awesome...

Yes, it was crazy expensive... But it's a case of buy once and you and your son after you are set.

Lawrie

Lawries%20McHale%20SARC_zpsamcapn4k.jpg

This is my kind of gear.... spent some shop time today making smooth boards out of not-smooth boards. Working on a project where I'm not going to use any power tools.

Not entirely sure, but I think this plane is over 70 years old.

20180609_090413~01.jpg

Edit... a little research and this is probably well over 100 years old. I restored it about 10 years ago and it works great.

Last edited:
I must say, you folks have some awesome bits of Kit. Some very cool stuff within these pages.

I am a huge fan of Danner's American made boots. And I have worn out several pairs of Wescos in a previous life.

That's the first McHale pack I've seen in 30 years. Looks like a rocket ship

I run a Silky Super Accel too. Great saw. Another smaller option is the Opinel #12 Saw. Nice little sheath carry saw.

On the lower end of the spectrum. I recently picked up a Cold Steel Special Forces Shovel. A well Spent $27.00

oh, baby...
TJZ9EfN.jpg

while I love swingin a blade, this'll increase my productivity by at least 50%
Best tool for keeping a corridor open in my opinion. You are gonna love it. I prefer one on the end of a pole saw for the added reach, can stand in the middle of the trail and clip both sides without moving from side to side.

I built this magnificent bow press last weekend. :D

IMG_2686.jpg

IMG_2688.jpg

IMG_2689.jpg

Mostly made out of 1.25" x 0.5" 6061-T6511 Aluminum bar stock and 1/4" grade 8 bolts. Forged hook eye on a 12" long 3/8" threaded rod, with a long "coupler nut" doing the hard work. It'll press pretty much any bow with 3/8" or larger holes in the riser somewhere (most have them), even some of the beyond-parallel limb bows like recent PSE and Bowtech models (I have a 2016 PSE Inertia). Enough throw to completely safely let the limbs down, in order to change cams or limbs.

~$60 in parts/materials, and won't put pressure on the bow limbs somewhere it shouldn't be. All I have left to do is make up the leather sleeves I have planned for the bars that contact the bow limbs, to prevent marring of the bow's finish. I also added some split poly bolt covers to the bolts that go through the riser, also to prevent damage to the bow's finish. Pretty happy how it all turned out, and folds up pretty compact too. :thumbsup:

All I had to work from were a few (literally 3, shown below) pictures I found on the net of an old version of this design, with no company name or anything else to go off of. It doesn't appear to be nearly as sturdy as mine, instead using thin Al bar and square tubing. Doesn't have nearly the throw length my design does either.

IMG_6540.jpg

IMG_2552.JPG

IMG_2551.JPG

Last edited:
B96D766D-5A2A-4C6B-8BE0-E2A5CE115169.jpeg 013F118E-E60B-4736-BC37-4DA134F1D6D0.jpeg 1ED46A80-36AD-4508-9B6E-2526454E5E1C.jpeg 0DA49E2C-CB2D-4E37-AD18-87CA7DE27C40.jpeg We get around a little too...
One is a right hand drive turbo diesel Toyota. We travel down to Guatemala, Oaxaca, and ferry over to Baja, then return.
I learned this-
You only cry once when you buy “quality” gear, then build it to how you need it to be.
Out.

E1E79270-ECA0-421E-8B51-012F8F0DD483.jpeg This is the best hot weather hiking/work hat I’ve ever had. It’s also really good for drinkin beer in the river. Palm straw, 6 inch brim, leather stampede. When it gets wet it doesn’t leave that weird sticky drip stuff in your beard. Not sure who makes it, but I bought it in Luckenbach, TX. Bonus LC content...

Back