GEC #35 Churchill Thread

Yes it was RIT. I have found the reds to work really well on bone. But this was the first I've tried a blue. Also the first time I have tried a GEC. Speaking of which, the GEC bone always seems very waxy. Wonder if they do something to it in the finishing that is making it difficult for dye to absorb.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies :thumbsup:

I’m normally a single blade guy. I’ve tried many multi blades, but the single always finds its way back in my pocket.

That said, I saw the 35 and something about it just spoke to me. I love the main blade profile, so was curious about the secondary blade. I’m excited to get my hands on it, and see if it works for me.

A 1.5-2 inch sheepfoot is an enormously useful blade. The short, stout blade with a well-defined tip gives you tremendous control and precision in cutting. In car terms, the clip main provides horsepower, while the sheepfoot provides torque.

I like the slimness of the single spring, with 2/3 the blade complement of a 2-spring stockman. :thumbsup::cool: Apologies for the recycled pic. :p

rS7eoO8.jpg

What is everyone’s main use of the secondary blade, and how often do you use it?

I have a 35 coming and can’t wait. Will post when it arrives (scheduled for tomorrow).

I've actually gotten a fair amount of use from the secondary sheepfoot. I'd venture to say it has easily surpassed the use I get out of the secondary blades of other knives I have.

I've used it to open packages, boxes, letters. I've used it many times where I would otherwise use a razor or Xacto knife. Out of all the multi/2 blade knives I own, the Churchill easily gets the most use from both blades.

I really hope you are happy with it, it is simply a superb knife.

To go back to the topic of lowering the secondary blade;

If you were to mill a very shallow "hole" in the backspring, where the sheepsfoot kick hits, would this drop the blade and avoid the resulting unflush spring on closed position?
I bet i could get a 1/8" endmill in there...

Hmmm, good question. Since removing material from the kick results in changing the dynamic of both the blade and spring, I’d think that removing material from the spring would result in the same outcome. In both scenarios you’re effectively changing the mating surface between two objects that rely on each other to hold a fixed position.

To go back to the topic of lowering the secondary blade;

If you were to mill a very shallow "hole" in the backspring, where the sheepsfoot kick hits, would this drop the blade and avoid the resulting unflush spring on closed position?
I bet i could get a 1/8" endmill in there...
That could possibly work, but you could weaken the backspring. I'd rather have a low backspring than a broken or weak one.

That could possibly work, but you could weaken the backspring. I'd rather have a low backspring than a broken or weak one.
Also, the potential for a change in pull/action prior to or instead of the spring breaking outright.
With the weakened section if the spring, the load will not be spread evenly and the curve will become non-gradual, and may fatigue and crack at the modified point.

While I agree there would be a weakening of the spring, the amount of steel removed would be very very little.

Mental exercise:
The sheepsfoot is very thin, and the kick only contacts one far edge of the spring.
In my mind you could touch down in there, I have 1/32" drill point ball end mills and up, and make a rounded dimple with less chance of stress cracking over time and cycling. I think spring steel is around 40 RC so it should't be terrible.
Of course this is more difficult than filing the kick, so why bother if we're still gonna end up with a sunken spring ( which is what I was trying to avoid).

I find myself carrying a lot of different knives lately, but the Churchill still gets plenty of pocket time. The bone is already mellowing and the color change is becoming somewhat drastic. I love how this one is aging.
IMG_20180115_144450.jpg IMG_20180115_144529.jpg

Here's the day I received it:
IMG_20180115_145001.jpg

I'm not saying it looked bad new, but I like it much better now! :cool::thumbsup:

+1 to that. solphilos solphilos I really like how the bone is evolving on yours.

Thanks guys. I was pleasantly surprised when I realized how much the bone was lightening up and didn't really notice how drastic it was until I looked at the older pics.
To be honest, I thought the cougar clawed bone was a bit bland in the beginning, but now think that these are going to age and wear very well. :thumbsup:

Back