GEC 38 English Whittler 2021

Finished up a vertical sheath for mine to make it a bit easier to access, also sharpened her up and all three blades are very keen

Untitled by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

In order for the knife to enter the sheath I had to only cover part of the main blade but that left a lot exposed so I made the belt loop go a little higher and it worked out nicely

Untitled by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

G2
Great job Gary, the knife and sheath are beautiful, and the photos look terrific! 😎👍

Thanks photographing a pretty knife isn’t too hard
;)
Really nice knife!
After I sharpened her up what a difference in cutting!
G2

AXy5vJZ.jpg

could turn into a skeleton key pretty easily ;)
G2

Judging from the secondary market, these don’t seem to be as coveted as the original 38 Whittlers. I haven’t followed the run closely and don’t understand that. Higher production numbers? Wharnie vs Clip main? I dunno. They look beautiful to me.

Judging from the secondary market, these don’t seem to be as coveted as the original 38 Whittlers.
I’d say check back in a year. These things are fabulous, and once people forget about the silly “proud spacer” issues they’ll be true collector items.

Reactions: mb>
I certainly prefer the English Whittler to the Grinling Whittler for a carving knife. The limited number of carvers that I know agree with me. It might be fair to say that a higher percentage of English Whittlers will actually be used vs the safe queen Grinlings. The "proud" spacer on both of mine have worked to near flush with use. Give it time for the flippers to get the inventory into the hands of the true fans and they will eventually be hard to come by as well.

Yeah, I’m not surprised at what I’m seeing in the secondary market either- seems like folks are moving them around a bit. This #38 deserves all the scramble and flipping that the other prized GEC’s get, but I’m just not seeing it. If I had to guess, wharnecliffe mains with secondaries probably isn’t the popular combination. Also I really think a lot of folks are turned off by the pattern name “whittler” because of the implied function.

I’m wild about mine- I carry one daily and IMHO it represents some of the finest work GEC has delivered.

I don't think the Back Pocket shield helped it much. 🤣
Oh, that must be what’s on the jigged bone eh? Was wondering about that one. That one doesn’t strike me like the wrench did. The wrench was a hard pass for me, but I can appreciate iit’s “uniqueness” a little more now. :)

The wharncliffe on the English whittler has yet to be appreciated!! An agile point on a sturdy blade is very useful indeed, besides being an historic configuration!!
The Oregon Knife club keeps track of what their club knives sell for, courtesy of the members, and their English Whittler goes for 4 to 5 times the initial price!! 😲
When they sell of course!!:) That group of people represents sophisticated collectors of fine cutlery!! :cool:

Last edited:
Back