GEC #46 Whaler

Heard through the grape vine that at least one dealer sent most back due to cosmetic issues and another got far less than he ordered for the same reason. Wonder if GEC rushed these out.

Heard through the grape vine that at least one dealer sent most back due to cosmetic issues and another got far less than he ordered for the same reason. Wonder if GEC rushed these out.

I read "a large percentage of the Iron Wood Whalers were rejected for cosmetic reasons" on a blog and took that to mean 1/3 of the run never made it to dealers inventory.

That could mean they were somewhat rushed to completion? or possibly problems with the wood? Who knows?

Either way, the ironwood knives look great! :)

I read "a large percentage of the Iron Wood Whalers were rejected for cosmetic reasons" on a blog and took that to mean 1/3 of the run never made it to dealers inventory.

Don't know the percentage, but this is correct. This did cause a shortage from the original estimates.

That could mean they were somewhat rushed to completion? or possibly problems with the wood? Who knows?

Either way, the ironwood knives look great! :)

I am sure GEC will make it right if you need to return one but it is always a shame when the customer needs to be the one doing the QC work, not the maker. Since they are in such short supply anyway sending back to a dealer for exchange is not really an option, either a return for $$, send it to GEC or buff them up yourselves seems to be the options on these limited run knives.

I am sure GEC will make it right if you need to return one but it is always a shame when the customer needs to be the one doing the QC work, not the maker. Since they are in such short supply anyway sending back to a dealer for exchange is not really an option, either a return for $$, send it to GEC or buff them up yourselves seems to be the options on these limited run knives.

Mine happens to be just fine (AWESOME TOO!) and is now relaxing wrapped in a nice piece of soft red goat leather :D

It had a busy morning cutting up a few pounds of fresh fruit ;)

Fun knife!

The sailors that used these needed plenty of fruit to ward off scurvy on long voyages! ;)

Is it really that difficult to keep significant discoloration off of the carbon blades? Seems like wiping the blade with mineral oil would go a long way toward keeping most of the patina off it, depending on what you use it for. If your primary use is slicing food, then it might be more of an issue. But just to carry? and use for routine daily tasks like opening letters and packages, cardboard, blister packs, etc.

The only carbon blades I have that show significant patina are the ones I bought used, and already had it. I have a knife rag with mineral oil, and before I go to bed I just wipe the blade with it. Takes less than a minute - a lot less.

One of the most common uses I have for pocket knives is for cutting fruit for my daughter. So yeah, it really is that difficult to keep significant discoloration off of my carbon blades, and I hate the smell of carbon steel reacting with fruits like apples. I know not everyone minds it, or even notices it, but I do. I cut fruit pretty much every day. Knives that don't cut fruit don't get carried by me.

I didn't buy the Whaler with the thought that I would carry it, I bought it with the idea that I am never going to get a chance to buy one I will actually carry, and I wanted a Whaler regardless. If I ever have the chance to buy a stainless Whaler, my ironwood will hit the market forthwith, but until then I plan to hold on to my whaler, and wish it was stainless. I was just surprised by how much I wanted to carry it once I had it in my hand.

Mine happens to be just fine (AWESOME TOO!) and is now relaxing wrapped in a nice piece of soft red goat leather :D

It had a busy morning cutting up a few pounds of fresh fruit ;)

Fun knife!

Any pictures of the knife now that you cut up all the fruit?

Any word on the muscle bones yet?

The ironwood was the only one I had a reserve for. The muscle bone I am standby. With the demand for these knives, GEC sending less than expected to dealers and some dealers having to return knives, it is probably not a good chance of snagging one as a standby. Happy to have the ironwood and can't wait to start seeing pics of the bone.

Any pictures of the knife now that you cut up all the fruit?

I'll get some posted for you as the patina develops.

Tomorrow will be citrus (limes-lemons-oranges) so that should help move things along quite nicely ;)

Mono carbon steel is very reactive, but the smell(s) eventually disappears the more you use it (patina).

Mine came with a crack at the back pin. Dealer shipped a replacement immediately, and it was en-route almost before I was able to hit send on that email!!! Good guy to deal with!

Last edited:
Mono carbon steel is very reactive, but the smell(s) eventually disappears the more you use it (patina).

So I have heard, but that is such a catch 22 for me. I don't like patina, but patina helps limit the reactivity. If I could just sucking up and embrace patinas I feel like I would be a happier man. But that isn't going to happen.

But I am looking forward to seeing yours developing.

One dealer posted he only got 2/3 of his supply, a different one was said to have returned all or most of his.

First off, they were not an open order item - so dealers were only able to submit a "I would like to have" number. Most dealers got shorted, with the exception being those that ordered 2-3. Dealers wouldn't have all received all they would like to have even if there was no shortfall.

Secondly, the first batch I received, I looked at every one of them and saw nothing whatsoever that needed returning - nor have I heard anything negative from a customer. So, I don't doubt what you say about some dealer returning theirs - but I imagine the circumstances to be something out of the ordinary.

There are a couple of the "muscle bones" on eBay.. I haven't heard of any of the dealers getting any in yet. What's up with that I wonder??

That has to be a dealer.. I would like to know which one it is...

Where does this leave us in the quality stakes I wonder. Do we all want to only own knives that could be museum pieces, or do we want to reduce the supply to the point where only perfect knives make the cut and the rest of us miss out on owning one? Some serious questions for us enthusiasts I think...

Last edited:
Back