GEC #46 Whaler

I traded mine yesterday for a 2 blade TC #15 but I'm genuinely gonna miss it. Truly a unique and proud knife! The muscle bone looks good guys but I think I still prefer the looks of the Ironwood.

Another shot of the Muscle Bone

AYNkg3X.jpg

Got my muscle bone today. Really great other than the super strong pull on the secondary. I'd say it came at a 9, but I think with oil and working it it could smooth to an 8. The problem is you can't help by gripping the back side with the side of your index finger, you have to just use your nail. I'm not sure this can be a user with as strong as the pull is, which I had hoped it would be a user to contrast my Abalone Whaler and go with my muscle bone Lumberjack, but it's definitely an interesting knife.

Here's my 1 Minute Overview:

Knife Talk (long form video) filmed and coming up soon!

Here's the Knife Talk (long form) video on my Whaler:

Wherein I realize mid filming that I can open it with my thumbnail. Still really tough and not a user as it stands though.

Send it off to GEC !!! Tell them to adjust the secondary blade.

My #45 Lumberjack is there right now already. Maybe I'll wait till the Rendezvous. Not sure

I just got mine out of the mail box. Absolutely beautiful (even my wife said it was a piece of art) however it is difficult to open.

Did it come in that small flat rate box? Must of been a bustin at the seams ;)

Did it come in that small flat rate box? Must of been a bustin at the seams ;)

Yes it did, thank you sir. I was surprised it fit in there. I appreciate you wrapping the box in plastic too, it arrived safely (the prayer was a nice touch too).

Yes it did, thank you sir. I was surprised it fit in there. I appreciate you wrapping the box in plastic too, it arrived safely (the prayer was a nice touch too).

You're welcome - but I didn't send it in that box it is sitting on. That was what I thought was funny. That is a small flat rate box and we shipped in the 1096L - you must have had another box near. It would have been a sight to see in a sfrb.

You're welcome - but I didn't send it in that box it is sitting on. That was what I thought was funny. That is a small flat rate box and we shipped in the 1096L - you must have had another box near. It would have been a sight to see in a sfrb.

Haha I understand you now. I use small flat rate boxes for white backgrounds for photos, but yes the box you shipped me was indeed larger. No way it could have crammed into a small box, that thing is a beast!

I don't think anyone was expecting these behemoths to have light pulls (even if GEC has tended towards lighter pulls on other patterns recently). :D

First pocket knife to break a nail on (secondary). Yowzer! Came in yesterday, and it's a sweet knife for sure.

Mine happens to be just fine (AWESOME TOO!) and is now relaxing wrapped in a nice piece of soft red goat leather :D

It had a busy morning cutting up a few pounds of fresh fruit ;)

Fun knife!
How's it do with the fresh fruit? I think the primary is going to make an excellent Skinner and food prep knife when in the sticks.

There are a couple of the "muscle bones" on eBay.. I haven't heard of any of the dealers getting any in yet. What's up with that I wonder??
Another muscle bone received from CK yesterday. Blades aligned perfectly, excellent scale texture, color, and fit. I'm real pleased. Thanks knifeswapper knifeswapper for the ER system, and the plastic wrap on the box vs. rain on the front step ;)

Edit: Fix the pic.

V8LaXCSl.jpg

V8LaXCS

Last edited:
Well, I ended up getting lucky and getting an ironwood whaler from a dealer. I'm really happy with this one. Of course my camera broke and I can't take any photos until my wife gets home with her cell phone. As everyone else said, it's a tough pull on the secondary blade. It didn't break my nail, but it came close. The big blade is a little easier, plus you can pinch it a bit to help it open.

The wood grain is great, similar to all the others shown here. The blades look flawless to me, no scratches on them at all. Not even the Rockwell test dimple. The bolsters do have some light scuffs on 2 of them, but very slight. No defect scratches on the wood at all.

Overall, this is a great knife. My first ever whaler (probably not my last.) :thumbsup:

Thank you all at GEC and mr. Latham for making these special pocket axes available.
Not sure what use I will find for this handfull of knife, but it surely pleases me to hold one!
My example is flawless and the factory sharpness is to be admired. Could not be more pleased. I especially appreciate the as ground finish on the blades. It's a knife that begs to be used.

Back