GEC #46 Whaler

It seems to me that "muscle bone" is new? Or is this just a new name on an already previously produced scale? If so, is there a previous run we can look at to get an idea of what to expect? Mike didn't seem to know other than it would be white(undyed) and probably rough textured.

I pre-ordered the Desert Ironwood. Looking forward to getting this one.

Last edited by a moderator:
A stag whaler went for over 1000 sometime last year.

I am on standby for a muscle bone(whatever that is). I have wanted an elephant toe/whaler type, so hopefully I will score one. Looking at some older eBay sales, I saw a whaler go for over $600. Wow! That one was I think the highest but regardless, the secondary market is not for me on that pattern.

Nice knives.
I like the Sunfish/Elephant Toenail/ Whaler/Pocket Axe/Rope Knife pattern. :)

Since the run sold out in less than a day, I wonder why they don't make them more often ... or make more of them.
Must be a "collector knife" thing, I guess.
Why make enough to fill the demand?

I pushed Bill at the Rendezvous to make another run of these for purely selfish reasons, and he muttered things under his breath about not wanting to ever make these again.

That said, I’m in for a muscle bone. Been wanting one of these since the 2016 Rendezvous I couldn’t make.

When they do limited runs like this, it can mean an SFO... a Northfield on this pattern would be intense.

Is there any way still to get on a list for one of these whalers? I would love to land one, but I don't know how

Thank you to the folks that got back to me with links so quick. I've got my pre-order in for an ironwood whaler. I am looking forward to it. My dream had always been to have the forum knife be a whaler one day, but that doesn't seem like a realistic possibility.

I have been longing for a whaler for years. So I figured why not hop on the opportunity.

These are big ole monster knives. Good back pocket knife as long as you have a belt on.
I picked this one up off the exchange a while back. Was aware they were big but you just don't realize it completely until you hold one.
7fsWMJT.jpg

Not totally, if I recall correctly. For one, I believe the lumberjack has half stops, the whaler none. But otherwise they may well be the same size/shape, just with the end containing the main blade being flip flopped. I've never owned one of each at the same time so as to compare.

The blade on the Whaler is even larger than on the Lumberjack. As many have said, it can double as a spatula. I am totally psyched to be getting one finally, they are almost cartoonish being so big. Makes my #36 Sunfish look more like a guppy....:confused:

The blade on the Whaler is even larger than on the Lumberjack. As many have said, it can double as a spatula. I am totally psyched to be getting one finally, they are almost cartoonish being so big. Makes my #36 Sunfish look more like a guppy....:confused:
Oh yeah! It is impressive.:eek::confused::D

Back