GEC #77 Medium Barlow Impressions

That's it I'm getting an abalone, I can't stand it anymore!!!

Beautiful knife Todd, thanks for sharing!

GEC didn't make any SFO's before 2013? Sure they did.

Never said they didn't. SFO's are listed in the "Specials" section of their production totals going back to 2010. Before that it looks like they're mixed; all runs are listed together including SFO's. And their first SFO was in 2008, #25 Barlows I believe. No 2014 production data has been published yet.

Last edited:
Received mine today. Here is the deal... the quality is as good as I have seen on a GEC. Both blade shapes are amazing. I never owned Abalone before and I love the way it looks.
Very Very cool.
3b26f802-fc96-4309-9885-c7437abc81a6_zps5fc1b4b5.jpg

Great shots. The abalone is mesmerizing. I'd be in for a single blade version with abalone covers.:thumbup:

Received mine today. Here is the deal... the quality is as good as I have seen on a GEC. Both blade shapes are amazing. I never owned Abalone before and I love the way it looks.
Very Very cool.
0e9c7111-2ad0-4b6c-b2a8-16024f3c12f5_zpsca200b05.jpg

WOW!! Great photos! Great knife!

Does it look like that in person, or is the photo more saturated?

Just got my Pioneer Bone in the mail today. I have to say its a real beauty. Great F&F and walk and talk. The bone on my slants in a sort of symmetrical way as you can see in the bottom pic, which actually makes it fit in hand nicely. There's a bit of "character" coming off the bottom pin on the pile side in the form of a crack, but I think its stabilized. All in all this is just a great size knife for a barlow. I'm happy.

WOW!! Great photos! Great knife!

Does it look like that in person, or is the photo more saturated?

Surely there's some sort of filter going on there. But they are gorgeous without it too. Not my thing, but an indisputably handsome knife.

Got mine tonight. Holy cow, these are sweet knives! I got stag and sawcut, and they're perfect! Mike, you did a great job! GEC hits another home run! I'll be posting pics soon.

My stag arrived today. Overall I'm very happy with it. My only small gripe is that the snap on the clip blade could be better and is slightly lazy, but the beautiful figuring on the stag more than makes up for it.

e6d230d4c6b4d2135d89b401239a02df_zps40caf6a1.jpg
241ecb49a2ab59e9c5953b6d189e9f61_zpsef2e318d.jpg
d4bd3144403e20fbc9e9fef239ebec32_zps7544569a.jpg
9423bc3e5fab12f09d33025dfe0f0e98_zps90c0a924.jpg

My stag arrived today. Overall I'm very happy with it. My only small gripe is that the snap on the clip blade could be better and is slightly lazy, but the beautiful figuring on the stag more than makes up for it.

e6d230d4c6b4d2135d89b401239a02df_zps40caf6a1.jpg
241ecb49a2ab59e9c5953b6d189e9f61_zpsef2e318d.jpg
d4bd3144403e20fbc9e9fef239ebec32_zps7544569a.jpg
9423bc3e5fab12f09d33025dfe0f0e98_zps90c0a924.jpg

I felt that way about one of mine at first but it just needed a bit of break-in. Give it some time and i'll bet it smooths up!

that stag is so beautiful. Have you had a chance to flush the joints with oil and work the blades open and closed? I do this with any new knife. Either flush with soapy hot water and then oil or else just oil the joints with mineral oil and work the blades open and closed wiping away the gunk. keep oiling till it comes out clear. I've gotten knives that I thought were defective to spring to life.

Thanks for the tips tstaut and Lemmy, i hope you're right, maybe it just needs some oil and breaking in... Will give that a shot... My blackwood came real snappy straight out of the tube...

Holy moly that is divine stag ^

Thanks! Was pretty happy to have landed this one... I surveyed them all and put them in order like a football draft. This one was number two on my list. I got real lucky because my pick didn't come up until quite a ways down the list and I was absolutely shocked that it was still available when I was green lighted. Whoever got "Red F" scored pick of the litter in my estimation. No surprise that it went first. But I feel VERY lucky that I got the second one on my list, being that at least a dozen, if not two dozen selected before me.

You did indeed land a beauty. The stag has a nice matched and textured covers. I think you made an excellent choice. I unfortunately missed out on the stag.

Back