GEC #86 2021: Angus Jack, 2AB, Spring Street Barlow (BF Knife)

I used this picture as it shows all the models (I think) and I am getting a bit confused.

Have I got this right,the forum knife is the same as the red one but with carbon steel?

I ask because I have been offered one like the red one on the left for my Northwoods Fall Creek (not on here,in Germany).

I already have the model in the middle (which I traded for on here).

Would there be any point ,is the red one a better knife/stronger scales maybe or is it just the looks?
The three knives in your picture are all the same, but with different scales. The red one is a natural bone, where the one you have is red and black linen Micarta (I think). Otherwise, those two have the same blade, etc.

The forum knife does have a carbon blade, but it also has a different bolster and has sawcut handles, and is not one of the ones pictured above. Here is a picture of the forum knife along with a natural bone 2AB like the one in your picture. Both are on the same frame and have similar blades other than steel.

8BF88C0D-38B0-44CE-AD94-E535C4A9C12F.jpeg

Would there be any point ,is the red one a better knife/stronger scales maybe or is it just the looks?
They are the exact same knives except the scale material.
The red one on the left has bone handles and the other two have Micarta handles.
The Micarta ones are going to be more durable than the bone, but all will have similar strength.

Edit: Looks like Matt beat me to it by a couple of seconds... plus he has pictures... he wins!!! 🤣

Thanks for the replys,The red does look nice.

I was hoping you might say it was more durable then I would have an excuse to trade for it.

I asked the other chap for more photos,its not like I am short of knives just now though 🤣

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!!

LcUwyzE.jpg

I used this picture as it shows all the models (I think) and I am getting a bit confused.

Have I got this right,the forum knife is the same as the red one but with carbon steel?

I ask because I have been offered one like the red one on the left for my Northwoods Fall Creek (not on here,in Germany).

I already have the model in the middle (which I traded for on here).

The red one is rust orange bone, the other two are Micarta. I’d say it’s subjective as to which one would make the better user but probably the Micarta since it’s not a natural material. Personally, the Rust Orange bone 2AB is my personal favorite of the three. These three are all the 2AB’s which are all stainless. The BF Barlow is the only 86 Barlow that has carbon steel.

I’ve been meaning to take a group shot with all the 86 Barlow’s and I will get around to that today, thanks for the reminder.

Edit: Just saw you already received two similar replies. Oops! A picture of all 4 of my 86 Barlows coming shortly

The red one is rust orange bone, the other two are Micarta. I’d say it’s subjective as to which one would make the better user but probably the Micarta since it’s not a natural material. Personally, the Rust Orange bone 2AB is my personal favorite of the three. These three are all the 2AB’s which are all stainless. The BF Barlow is the only 86 Barlow that has carbon steel.

I’ve been meaning to take a group shot with all the 86 Barlow’s and I will get around to that today, thanks for the reminder.

Edit: Just saw you already received two similar replies. Oops! A picture of all 4 of my 86 Barlows coming shortly
No,the more replies the better the spread of opinions,its appreciated.

Now I have been offered a 714120 Mustang for my Northwoods Fall Creek.

I am not sure if I will be able to open it though.

I would like them both,that red is calling me quite loud but the Mustang looks more outdoorsy.

waverave waverave did a mock up for me a while back using GEC’s production pics. I knew immediately that I had to make it happen. This was a fun mod!View attachment 1692674View attachment 1692675
They look great, you did a good job with those!

Just out of curiosity, since they are the same frame, was this just a fun experiment to attempt, or did you feel that one or both blades suited a different handle better than the original?

After the arrival of my 2021 BF knife the other day, I have managed to snag three of the four 2021 86s I wanted! Very pleased about that, as they are hard to find in Europe. All I need now is the OD micarta 2AB (I collect GEC's stainless offerings). I am not willing to shell out the $300+ they are fetching on the 'bay, though, so my chances probably aren't great.

3_86s small.jpeg

After the arrival of my 2021 BF knife the other day, I have managed to snag three of the four 2021 86s I wanted! Very pleased about that, as they are hard to find in Europe. All I need now is the OD micarta 2AB (I collect GEC's stainless offerings). I am not willing to shell out the $300+ they are fetching on the 'bay, though, so my chances probably aren't great.

View attachment 1698648
I will ask around for you,I know a man who knows a man who sometimes finds things.
The OD seems very popular though.

View attachment 1698648
I have run out of messages,he is having a look for you.

Why did I wait on one of these Angus Jacks? Idk but I’m glad I did. I received this awesome example from TexasTomcat TexasTomcat in a trade. This thing has great walk and talk. AMAZING covers on this “Medium Rare.” How is this an “S” model!? This is going to be an amazing user and hard to kick outta the pocket!
Hr3uNAq.jpg

Last edited:
Back