GEC...Please Make More Patterns Available To Us in 440C...yea or nea ?

I have two acorns. I wish for more.

I'm not jesting. And don't call me Squirrely.
(with apologies to Airplane!)

I've always admire this pattern. Is it available in 1095? ;)

I like 440C, I think it's a good stainless, which undersevedly seems to have gone out of fashion (to a large extent) in the non-traditional market. I do prefer carbon for my traditional folders though, and while most of my fixed blades are stainles (mainly sandvik), I'd like to get more in carbon.

I would also like to see them offer more of their knives in SS, I have often wondered why so few are made. I really do like carbon blades and love to see the patina form on them, but sometimes its nice not to have to worry about keeping your blade oiled up. I have had a couple knives develop rust overnight after using them and not getting them put away properly.

Also I like the 440c they use but think it would be nice to see other stainless steels offered as well say maybe S30V, ATS-34 or CPM-154 something along those lines.

Sure would be nice to have a choice between CV & SS for a change as I would buy more of the SS ~~90% of the time.!
Sharpen it right & you can't beat it.!*** (Grandad ~~ sorry about thinking SS for some Knives.*) <<<< he has been gone for many years but I think he still knows what Knives I buy.*

I tend to buy my knives in pairs, as i usually get one as a gift and keep one for myself. In the 440c, I've purchased a pair each of the #53 stockman in Green Tea Bone, #53 Furtaker trappers in Elk, #23 trappers in Buffalo, and a pair of #54 Tuna Valley stockmen in Stag.

Unfortunately, I can only show pictures of one of each, since my daughter has the second of each, except the Tuna Valley (I have temporary possession of her #54).

Consider this a placeholder; pictures will soon follow.

And yes, I most certainly love GE 440c. I wish they produced more of it, as it is a fantastic steel that takes and holds a great edge.

I've been wanting to get one of GECs 440c knives, but haven't gotten around to it yet. Not been spending as much in general and when I do one of their carbon blades catches my eye first. I'll get a 440c eventually, probably a trapper with elk horn.

If GEC would make a Northfield Calf Roper in 440c with any cover material I'd be all over that ... probably buy as many as I could get my hands on! So far, the stainless patterns available have just not been the kind of knives I carry.

I've often wondered why they don't offer more stainless blade options myself. Given the choice I would probably choose the 440c over 1095. I like my 1095 GECs though.

I like the carbon blades that GEC does. Develops a nice patina with use and is relatively easy to sharpen.
However, during the hotter months, my knives become very needy. If I don't check them regularly, it seems that rust and pitting form very quickly. So, I am not as likely to carry my GEC's during this time period out of concern for irreparably harming them.
Add me to the list of people wanting stainless steel on a GEC frame. I realize that they offer a lot of styles, but maybe a trial run with one or two of the more basic type of frames would work. Say a stockman knife like the 66 calf roper and a jack knife of some sort.

John

I'm not against stainless steel knives, but I believe the answer to why GEC makes most of their knives with carbon steel blades can be found here:

"Here at Great Eastern Cutlery, we are out of fashion in today’s world of chain stores and imports; we prefer to be known for “MADE IN THE USA”. Our manufacturing company established in August of 2006 in Titusville, PA, has begun a renaissance in classic traditional pocket knives by recreating the old knife patterns as close to authentic as has been seen in 75 years. We blend a mix of mostly manufacturing processes and a few contemporary machine operations to produce high quality classically designed pocket cutlery. In just a few short years we have achieved a reputation for craftsmanship and dedication to tradition, and along the way we have become a successful American manufacturing company." [emphases added]

Personally I prefer the 1095 . In the 25 GEC knives I have bought not one has been stainless.

If they were to make more stainless knives, I would rather see them in D2 than 440c. Losing the etching on stainless blades could help as well.

I've often wondered why they don't offer more stainless blade options myself. Given the choice I would probably choose the 440c over 1095. I like my 1095 GECs though.

GEC specializes in Traditional Patterns and Traditional Materials. Not the Modern Traditionals from the 1950's and 1960's, but more like the 1880's and 1890's. Long before Stainless Steel was used in Knifemaking. This is not to say that GEC knives are an exact copy of the Traditional Patterns. Some are, some aren't. IN MY OPINION, what Stainless Steel knives GEC DOES make are a concession to marketing.

With my limited funds, I probably wouldn't buy anything in stainless from GEC. Maybe I would, if it was something really special. I could see the 2014 being ss.... even kinda thought it would be the best steel for the 2013.

I would love a 440c GEC #15 in spear point. The only thing keeping me from that knife is the 1095 :p

I've always admire this pattern. Is it available in 1095? ;)

I like 440C, I think it's a good stainless, which undersevedly seems to have gone out of fashion (to a large extent) in the non-traditional market. I do prefer carbon for my traditional folders though, and while most of my fixed blades are stainles (mainly sandvik), I'd like to get more in carbon.

Fair enough! ;)

I'm not against stainless steel knives, but I believe the answer to why GEC makes most of their knives with carbon steel blades can be found here:

"Here at Great Eastern Cutlery, we are out of fashion in today&#8217;s world of chain stores and imports; we prefer to be known for &#8220;MADE IN THE USA&#8221;. Our manufacturing company established in August of 2006 in Titusville, PA, has begun a renaissance in classic traditional pocket knives by recreating the old knife patterns as close to authentic as has been seen in 75 years. We blend a mix of mostly manufacturing processes and a few contemporary machine operations to produce high quality classically designed pocket cutlery. In just a few short years we have achieved a reputation for craftsmanship and dedication to tradition, and along the way we have become a successful American manufacturing company." [emphases added]

Good points...

GEC specializes in Traditional Patterns and Traditional Materials. Not the Modern Traditionals from the 1950's and 1960's, but more like the 1880's and 1890's. Long before Stainless Steel was used in Knifemaking. This is not to say that GEC knives are an exact copy of the Traditional Patterns. Some are, some aren't. IN MY OPINION, what Stainless Steel knives GEC DOES make are a concession to marketing.

Good points as well...

I do understand their mission statement, and believe that it is part of what makes them such a fascinating company, however, when I look at some of their wilder acrylic covered knives, they are in fact already catering to an extent, to modern materials and marketing...

I too would like to have more 440c GECs. I currently only have one, a green tea '73 from 2007. It's a nice knife, but I would love to have a midsize stockman or cattleman in this steel also (preferably that contains an awl). I work around high concentration hydrogen peroxide and acetic acid at work and it doesn't play nicely with folding knives made out of carbon steel.

Since you're asking "yea or nea" - my vote would be nea.

While it wouldn't bother me if they started offering more 440C, I don't personally have any desire for it and will continue to buy their offerings in 1095 quite happily.

Since you're asking "yea or nea" - my vote would be nea.

While it wouldn't bother me if they started offering more 440C, I don't personally have any desire for it and will continue to buy their offerings in 1095 quite happily.
I apreciate all points of view on this and welcome them, the Nea's are important as well.

Fair enough! ;)

Good points...

Good points as well...

I do understand their mission statement, and believe that it is part of what makes them such a fascinating company, however, when I look at some of their wilder acrylic covered knives, they are in fact already catering to an extent, to modern materials and marketing...

The Acrylic Covers are a nod to modern materials only because of the well known disadvantages of Celluloid, I don't believe they intend to cater to anything. A lot of the Celluloids were very colorful, as are most of the Acrylics.

Back