GEC...Please Make More Patterns Available To Us in 440C...yea or nea ?

If GEC wants to stick to a particular philosophy when building their knives, that's their choice. But based on the replies so far there does seem to be some demand for more offerings in stainless. It's up to them to decide whether they want to try to satisfy that demand or not.

I personally prefer jigged bone over wood or stag, but I don't mind that they use wood and stag for their customers who want it. As long as they do still offer jigged bone on most of their patterns I'm happy because I can find what I want. But if I were limited to only 3 or 4 patterns, or if they only had exactly one type of jigged bone handles, then I'd probably be less inclined to be a repeat customer.

As was mentioned before, they make swirled acrylic handled knives, and knives with liner-locks. So apparently their dedication to extremely old designs has some leeway in it.

We're not asking for G10 or thumbstuds, just blades that won't rust.

Yes, I would like to see a Northfield 440c option of each pattern they put out.

Duane,
although I'm not GEC's best customer (I don't buy that many knives), I also wish for more patterns to be offered in 440C as well.
As for GEC's "mission" and so on...I had the same thought sometimes, that they were sticking to a certain "style" of knives (steel included), and their stainless steel choices were exceptions to the market. But then, looking at their late production schedule (2012 and 2013), I see alot of knives produced in their F&F line, and no one will convince me that micarta or nifebrite acrylic are old school materials.
Which is fine for me: a company has to survive, which means they need to sell. And their F&F line has sold very well.
I think GEC is doing a great job, especially lately, since they started producing more "pocketable" patterns (#68, #15, #06, and such), but I wouldn't see 440C as a blasphemy to their mission, not by a mile. And I assume the would just sell more knives, which is what every traditionalist should hope for.
Obviously, this is just a personal opinion.

Fausto
:cool:

The Acrylic Covers are a nod to modern materials only because of the well known disadvantages of Celluloid, I don't believe they intend to cater to anything. A lot of the Celluloids were very colorful, as are most of the Acrylics.

That is one way of looking at it, just trying to discuss the general feeling, or consensus of how people feel about 440C offerings...

Duane,
although I'm not GEC's best customer (I don't buy that many knives), I also wish for more patterns to be offered in 440C as well.
As for GEC's "mission" and so on...I had the same thought sometimes, that they were sticking to a certain "style" of knives (steel included), and their stainless steel choices were exceptions to the market. But then, looking at their late production schedule (2012 and 2013), I see alot of knives produced in their F&F line, and no one will convince me that micarta or nifebrite acrylic are old school materials.
Which is fine for me: a company has to survive, which means they need to sell. And their F&F line has sold very well.
I think GEC is doing a great job, especially lately, since they started producing more "pocketable" patterns (#68, #15, #06, and such), but I wouldn't see 440C as a blasphemy to their mission, not by a mile. And I assume the would just sell more knives, which is what every traditionalist should hope for.
Obviously, this is just a personal opinion.

Fausto

Thank you Fausto, you put that much more eloquently than I could, and I feel exactly the same way!

In a world full of stainless modern "EDC" knives, Buck 420, and Case TruSharp, I'm more than happy that Great Eastern has decided to emphasize 1095!

Count my vote as a Nay.

The Acrylic Covers are a nod to modern materials only because of the well known disadvantages of Celluloid, I don't believe they intend to cater to anything. A lot of the Celluloids were very colorful, as are most of the Acrylics.
A counterpoint to this, as a sort of devils advocate type of thing and in no way intended to be disrespectful or argumentative:

The acrylic covers are used as a more modern version of celluloid, due to the problems inherent with the older celluloid. But, in keeping in line with the concept of their mission statement, ie..recreating traditional knives like those of yesteryear, wouldn't it follow that they would only use acrylic covers in the more traditional colors(black, yellow, etc)? Instead they have chosen to offer a wide range of very modern looking colors/patterns, and with a good deal of success judging by the fact they continue offering it. I am by no means an expert in older knives and colorful celluloid patterns, but from what I have seen, they were nothing like the patterns offered by GEC today.

Couldn't the same be said for 440 stainless steel? Isn't the stainless steel a nod towards using modern materials that compensates for the high carbon content of 1095? Doesn't it alleviate the problem of rusting and pitting that presents itself with carbon blades?

I guess it also raises the question, if the cutlers of the past had access to stainless steel, would they have used it? I think so, just like I think they would use acrylic covers over celluloid. Maybe not on all knives, but I could see the benefits of using stainless in certain markets.

Again, just a devils advocate point of view.

John

The choices for Stainless Steel Knives in todays market are overwhelming, not only in Traditional Pocket Knives, but knives of all types. The selectionals in Carbon Steel are comparetively few. Since we're voting, count me as a resounding NAY!

I would buy more knives from GEC if 440c was offered more. Here are my two examples:
DSCN1167.jpg

DSCN1151.jpg

DSCN0752.jpg

Bob, would you say that you would prefer that GEC discontinue their existing stainless steel offerings? Not quite sure what your opposition stems from. You sell Buck stainless steel knives, and I assume you carry the GEC 440C versions as well.

OT, but I feel a rant coming on...

I'd vote Yay for Case replacing their TruSharp with some decent stainless like 440C. How much are they really saving anyway, the price different between a half-ounce of 420 (or whatever it is) compared to a half-ounce of 440C?

I agree with you there. I wish Case offered some better steel options. Their target market seems to be the display case more so than the pocket for the majority of their knives.

Being honest, on a pure theoretical basis, I would like GEC (or any other company) to take the "integral" path, leave all modernity behind (stainless steel, acrylics, and so on) and produce knives as they were made 70 years ago. I don't think they would go very far though.
I think GEC is working fine if they want to bring back the real tradition. But then again, I think some modern changes are just fine (I also assume their production line doesn't work exactly like a 1940's factory). Acrylics instead of celluloid (offered as an option), an "old school stainless" such as 440C (also offered as option not as the only steel available), and things like that. And looking at GEC production schedule, it seems they agree with me. The only issue is (and I think Duane's question comes from that) is: why is it "fair" to produce the #48 or #25 in 440C, and not the #66 or #68?
As a sidenote, I suspect that the "steel issue" has kept more than one knifenut away from traditional slipjoints. From what I read here, many new users approach traditional knives beginning with Case because of their stainless steel offering, since many people (who are used to modern folders) are quite "scared" by the maintenance factor of 1095.
Nice thread with lots of insights, not only about GEC, but also about the modern route in traditional knifemaking.

Fausto

OT, but I feel a rant coming on...

I'd vote Yay for Case replacing their TruSharp with some decent stainless like 440C. How much are they really saving anyway, the price different between a half-ounce of 420 (or whatever it is) compared to a half-ounce of 440C?

The same could be said about Buck, but that is a topic for another thread perhaps? Buck switched steels because when they went to fine blanking their blades, the 440C was destructive to their equipment.

I have an old Buck Prince that I used the heck out of for 10 years, then put in a drawer for 20. Recently I cleaned and sharpened it up, now it's good as new. From the manufacturing perspective, to offer many variations would mean more investment therefore the market needs to be there. One way to show interest would be to have next years BF knife be specified with 440c, that would be a statement.

When I see a release of GEC in 440c, I pass right over it. The #48 acorn in the amber bone might be my first, I better try their 440c out and form my own opinion. I just hope I dont have a hard time sharpening it, I think those of us who suck at sharpening are affraid of stainless. GEC know what their bread and butter is, I dont think were ever gonna see many offerings in stainless...

Fair enough! ;)

Good points...

Good points as well...

I do understand their mission statement, and believe that it is part of what makes them such a fascinating company, however, when I look at some of their wilder acrylic covered knives, they are in fact already catering to an extent, to modern materials and marketing...

The customers drive the market and ultimately the success/failure of a company, mission statement notwithstanding. Personally I don't buy carbon steel folders. I'd like to see more offerings in a decent stainless, such as 440C. There's at least a few I know I would have purchased, possibly more than a few, because I would take the time to look at them.

It's totally GECs decision on what they build and how they go to market, just as it's our right as consumers to express our opinions and desires.

Here's my 48 in American Cherry, I have 4 models in 440C now. I have many more in 1095 and like those just fine, but if a choice were there, more of those would have been purchased in 440C. This has been more interesting than I had imagined, and am appreciative for ALL responses. Thanks guys!

Bob, would you say that you would prefer that GEC discontinue their existing stainless steel offerings? Not quite sure what your opposition stems from. You sell Buck stainless steel knives, and I assume you carry the GEC 440C versions as well.

I didn't any thing like that. I'm a knife dealer, I sell knives. That's what Dealers do. I'm also a knife user as well as a knife collector. My PERSONAL PREFERENCE is Carbon Steel.

I agree with you there. I wish Case offered some better steel options. Their target market seems to be the display case more so than the pocket for the majority of their knives.

This is exactly why it would be so good to see regular 440C offerings from GEC. An upgraded steel, pinned shields, GEC craftmanship -it is a niche not currently being filled.

My GEC knives are my favorite, but when I went hiking to swim and fish at the river yesterday, I had to leave them on the dresser and a Victorinox went into my pocket. A stainless steel adds real functionality to the tool. Air-drying wet shorts is no place for 1095.

Much more often than not, I find myself in an environment or activity which precludes carry of a rust prone tool (at least one with such a modern price tag). It is a consideration I have taken into account more and more when deciding whether to purchase that great-looking new GEC release.

No offense intended to those who prefer high carbon pocket knives; just my personal experience.

Here's the river where my Victorinox got some new memories yesterday:

9228747680_32b899b12c_c.jpg

9228651828_13e772eaec_c.jpg

Last edited:
Back