GEC...Please Make More Patterns Available To Us in 440C...yea or nea ?

Its a yea for me, even if its not a pattern I'm looking for. My understanding is that the 440C knives just don't sell as well as the other GECs so they don't make as many. Also, because there are fewer, they probably cost more which means they don't sell as many... I do like the 440C knives I have, I'm carrying a #48 now. I'd really like a #48 jack in 440C. Here's most of my GEC 440C...

#12 (except the blue bone)

#23 (except the ebony)

#33 (plus 2 more bone ones)

#53 (except the green furtaker at the end)

#73 (except the single blade stag, jigged cherry and cocobolo. There's also a 420 single blade stag and cripple creek jack)

This is exactly why it would be so good to see regular 440C offerings from GEC. An upgraded steel, pinned shields, GEC craftmanship -it is a niche not currently being filled.

My GEC knives are my favorite, but when I went hiking to swim and fish at the river yesterday, I had to leave them on the dresser and a Victorinox went into my pocket. A stainless steel adds real functionality to the tool. Air-drying wet shorts is no place for 1095.

Much more often than not, I find myself in an environment or activity which precludes carry of a rust prone tool (at least one with such a modern price tag). It is a consideration I have taken into account more and more when deciding whether to purchase that great-looking new GEC release.

No offense intended to those who prefer high carbon pocket knives; just my personal experience.

Here's the river where my Victorinox got some new memories yesterday:

Great pics!! Btw, the new #62s seem to be all stainless, liners and pins included...

Thanks Sitflyer and 2Dead -and thanks for the tip on the new 62s :thumbup:

2Dead, that collection of acorns is sweet!

Beautiful collection, Trand! What type of scales are those on the Factory Test Stockman above the Wormy Chestnut knife?

-Greg

The choices for Stainless Steel Knives in todays market are overwhelming, not only in Traditional Pocket Knives, but knives of all types. The selectionals in Carbon Steel are comparetively few. Since we're voting, count me as a resounding NAY!
However, USA made QUALITY traditionals ~ with QUALITY stainless, are also comparatively few. I believe their main market will always remain carbon steel blades, but a few more 440c models would sure be nice. I will continue to buy their products either way, but 440c would suit me better than 1095 while I am at work: in the woods, it doesn't really matter so much to me.

Thanks guys!! The FTR is second cut stag. GEC offers it on other patterns but they jig it like bone.

Beautiful collection, Trand! What type of scales are those on the Factory Test Stockman above the Wormy Chestnut knife?

-Greg

Just offering a guess, and Trand please correct me if I'm wrong, but that looks like second-cut stag to me.

-Greg

Yes, more 440C GEC!

And please, the Northfield treatment of swedges and pinched bolsters with stainless blades would be most appreciated :thumbup:

I like the fact that GEC completely went away from the norm, and focused on trying to make knives the way they were back in the day...

When the topic of rust comes up, I always think to myself, I don't see the big problem. They used carbon steel in knives 100+ years ago, and I would bet that most of the guys back then, spent more time actually using their knives, than they did worrying about corrosion.
Perhaps it is because many have become so use to having SS knives.

It kind of reminds me of people that think they have to have guns made in SS, and synthetic stocks. Nothing wrong with it, but imho it is an answer to a problem, that really isn't a problem.

It is nice that we have endless choices to choose from though.

I would also like to see them offer more of their knives in SS, I have often wondered why so few are made. I really do like carbon blades and love to see the patina form on them, but sometimes its nice not to have to worry about keeping your blade oiled up. I have had a couple knives develop rust overnight after using them and not getting them put away properly.

Also I like the 440c they use but think it would be nice to see other stainless steels offered as well say maybe S30V, ATS-34 or CPM-154 something along those lines.

I agree that there are better (?) options if they are going to add more SS offerings. I have had a few knives in ATS-34, and it is a favorite of mine.
That said, if offering more choices in various blade materials, would up the price, I'm not sure how well it would go over. IMHO, they are on the edge of pricing, for a production knife.
Then again, they certainly don't have any problem selling knives at the current prices.

Make my vote a YEA. I notice that the knives from G E C made in 440C don't stay around very long, seem to sell very well so there must be a market for them. I like both, just want choices, and I vote with my wallet.
Harold

I like the fact that GEC completely went away from the norm, and focused on trying to make knives the way they were back in the day...

I have to agree with this, and they do a great job at it!

When the topic of rust comes up, I always think to myself, I don't see the big problem. They used carbon steel in knives 100+ years ago, and I would bet that most of the guys back then, spent more time actually using their knives, than they did worrying about corrosion.
Perhaps it is because many have become so use to having SS knives.

Guilty as charged on the SS issue, and I had to chuckle to myself thinking: Just how would a guy from 100 years ago look at me if I casually mentioned my "EDC Rotation knives"... ;)

I have to agree with this, and they do a great job at it!

Guilty as charged on the SS issue, and I had to chuckle to myself thinking: Just how would a guy from 100 years ago look at me if I casually mentioned my "EDC Rotation knives"... ;)

LOL... I'm sure "Safe Queen" would get a strange look too

Interessting thread... Being honest, I have no experience with GEC´s 440C but I´m pretty interessted in the 440C. I´ve heard just very good opinions about this steel.

IMO it would be great to see more pattern in 440C - though I´m really a fan of carbon steel and prefer it over to stainless steel. And the acorn shields are just great looking :)

[video=youtube;zIV4poUZAQo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIV4poUZAQo[/video]
(Wasn't sure how to pronounce "nea." :p)

I'm good, thanks.

Not that I would begrudge any of you your stainless. :)

~ P.

[video=youtube;zIV4poUZAQo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIV4poUZAQo[/video]
(Wasn't sure how to pronounce "nea." :p)

I'm good, thanks.

Not that I would begrudge any of you your stainless. :)

~ P.

:D
what ever did we do before youtube! :)

As for the spelling I chose for nea, I googled the term first, and settled for that spelling:p

Last edited:
The choices for Stainless Steel Knives in todays market are overwhelming, not only in Traditional Pocket Knives, but knives of all types. The selectionals in Carbon Steel are comparetively few. Since we're voting, count me as a resounding NAY!

I beg to differ. The choices are decidedly underwhelming for a high performance stainless in a traditional knife.
  • I can get all kinds of blades in soft 420HC. (This is not a option I will often accept. I am a user, not a collector.)
  • I can get Buck 420HC, which is not soft, but Buck only makes a few designs.
  • I can get a few blades in 440C or 14-4CrMo from Boker and Canal Street, but Boker offers those infrequently and Canal Street does not make many patterns.
  • I can get blades in Queen D2. (as most of you know I usually pursue that option.)

GEC makes some fascinating patterns. I buy them sometimes, even in 1095. I would find them more fascinating and likely buy more of them if there were more available in 440C. GEC does a very good job with 440C. Combined with their superior edge geometry GEC blades have excellent cutting performance.

I'm not asking for something they do not already have the capability of doing. I don't need exotic alloys (I have modern blades for that). But more choices in traditional knives with better edge retention than 420HC would mean more GEC purchases for me.

One way to show interest would be to have next years BF knife be specified with 440c, that would be a statement.

Some of us have tried for the last several years for an "upgraded stainless" Forum knife. We have been voted down by the majority each time. I do not see us being successful in the future. Carbon steel rules in Traditional.

I beg to differ. The choices are decidedly underwhelming for a high performance stainless in a traditional knife.
  • I can get all kinds of blades in soft 420HC. (This is not a option I will often accept. I am a user, not a collector.)
  • I can get Buck 420HC, which is not soft, but Buck only makes a few designs.
  • I can get a few blades in 440C or 14-4CrMo from Boker and Canal Street, but Boker offers those infrequently and Canal Street does not make many patterns.
  • I can get blades in Queen D2. (as most of you know I usually pursue that option.)

GEC makes some fascinating patterns. I buy them sometimes, even in 1095. I would find them more fascinating and likely buy more of them if there were more available in 440C. GEC does a very good job with 440C. Combined with their superior edge geometry GEC blades have excellent cutting performance.

I'm not asking for something they do not already have the capability of doing. I don't need exotic alloys (I have modern blades for that). But more choices in traditional knives with better edge retention than 420HC would mean more GEC purchases for me.

Some of us have tried for the last several years for an "upgraded stainless" Forum knife. We have been voted down by the majority each time. I do not see us being successful in the future. Carbon steel rules in Traditional.

My comment was for knives in General. Not limited to Traditionals or even Pocket Knives. If you READ the comment, I state" Knives of ALL TYPES". And I spoke of Stainless Steel in General, not specifically High Performance Stainless. It easy to qualify or mis-quote a general statement down to something you can "beg to differ" with. There's A LOT of that at this Forum!

This is very true, and along the lines of my thoughts as to how GEC could be in the drivers seat by offering more variety of desirable patterns in 440C. Though not currently in vogue, this steel has a somewhat traditional following, and is time tested. It is still a great alloy that really performs and has a certain dedicated following.
GEC has a reputation for consistent quality, and this coupled with their eye for detail on their patterns in my mind puts them way ahead of the pack when I consider a purchase.

Last edited:
Back