GEC Stainless?

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by akadave2, Feb 9, 2018.

1. akadave2

akadave2 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 21, 2008
    So I have largely overlooked the stainless offerings from Great Eastern but now Im curious to try one out since I find myself cutting a lot of acidic foods and have to take extra care with my 1095 steel knives. Can anyone tell which models have been made in the past so I can start my search? I know they currently have the Navy Jack but thats not a style Im looking for.

Thanks

Dave

neal70 likes this.
  2. traumkommode

traumkommode Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 3, 2015
    12, 15, 25, 33, 42, 47, 48, 53/54, 61/62, 68, 72/73, 74, 89, some fixed blades.

@akadave2 Your inbox is full, btw... ;) Drop me a line when you clear some space.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  3. Railsplitter

Railsplitter Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 31, 2010
    There were actually quite a few patterns released in 440C stainless in the 11 or 12 years since GEC opened its doors.

Somebody might reply here with a list but if you were so inclined it probably wouldn't take but 30 minutes or so to browse the GEC website for the information.

Anything in the "Production Totals" listed under the "Great Eastern" brand would have been made with 440C stainless steel blades. That should get you a pretty good size list.

neal70 likes this.
  4. Railsplitter

Railsplitter Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 31, 2010
    Bravo!!

neal70 and sitflyer like this.
  5. traumkommode

Dec 3, 2015
    Went back and added a couple more about which I forgot.

neal70 likes this.
  6. sitflyer

sitflyer

Mar 10, 2011
    with much thanks to Black Mamba:
    there is still a few photos scattered in this thread:https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...s-available-to-us-in-440c-yea-or-nea.1085788/

neal70 and Railsplitter like this.
  7. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Here are some of mine in 440C. They have made some fixed blades with the acorn shield that are in 1095, but I'm pretty sure any GEC folding knife with the acorn shield is 440C.

[​IMG]

GEC have also made contract knives in stainless steel for SMKW under the Cripple Creek brand, but they were in 420HC.

8. traumkommode

Dec 3, 2015
    Jeff, what is the knife in the middle below the watercolor stag 53? Is that a trapper with a wharncliffe/Turkish clip?

neal70 likes this.
  9. black mamba

Oct 21, 2009
    Sure is, traum, they called it the Furtaker Trapper. Here it is with opened blades.

[​IMG]

neal70, knowtracks, GE Jr and 4 others like this.
  10. Ernie1980

Ernie1980 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 19, 2012
    Though I prefer carbon steel, GEC does a good job with their stainless:thumbsup: Have fun searching!

neal70 likes this.
  11. Half/Stop

Half/Stop Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 25, 2014
    @black mamba Jeff I’m always envious when you show your 53’s. Great knives whether in 1095 or 440C! :thumbsup::D

neal70 and traumkommode like this.
  12. black mamba

Oct 21, 2009
    Thanks, Ron, very nice of you to say.

neal70 likes this.
  13. akadave2

akadave2 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Yeah its been a bit challenging since they are not prominently expressed in the descriptions in some of the for sale lists

neal70 likes this.
  14. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    There's just not enough of it.....:rolleyes: Last year, 17 saw few if any released, time for GEC to rectify this:cool:

willc and neal70 like this.
  15. traumkommode

Dec 3, 2015
    Guys, I just made a #15 lamb foot out of a stainless rope knife. Pictures to come...

16. solphilos

solphilos Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Tease! :D

neal70 likes this.
  17. Bugdoc

Bugdoc Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 29, 2016
    Very appropriate timing. I just picked up my first, a 74 clawed bone GEC SS, from traumkommode. (Jeff's collection pic has one at the 8 o'clock spot I believe.) It's exquisite.

I started with carbon steel blades and still like them, but I have found I prefer a good SS. So, this 74 was quite a find.

neal70 and sitflyer like this.
  18. black mamba

Oct 21, 2009
    Tom, they call that one burnt orange jigged bone. I love mine!

neal70 likes this.
  19. traumkommode

Dec 3, 2015
    That's a great knife. GEC's 440C sharpens up with just a little longer time on the stones than 1095, but just as much satisfaction and a more aggressive cutting edge. Stays sharp considerably longer, too.

Here's the lambfoot:

[​IMG]

Happy acorns:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. black mamba

Oct 21, 2009
    Really nicely done on the swedge!

neal70, Pomsbz and traumkommode like this.