GEC Stainless?

That's a great knife. GEC's 440C sharpens up with just a little longer time on the stones than 1095, but just as much satisfaction and a more aggressive cutting edge. Stays sharp considerably longer, too.

Here's the lambfoot:

39278810075_7d3dc56679_b.jpg

Happy acorns:

39278809315_f3d55bc6f7_b.jpg

39278809095_cfb8fc7b12_b.jpg

There’s not a one that doesn’t look really nice there. That viper is especially snazzy.

Don't forget the 65 pattern fish knives.

I totally did. There were those, and also 63 Mako Acorns. Were there Acorn Ben Hogans or just the Farm and Field?

My only GEC stainless - 2 blade 48 trapper. I wish they had made more offerings in stainless in their mainstream patterns with a wider variety of handle materials.

View attachment 845921

That's a really nice one! What blade profile is the secondary, spey or wharncliffe?

I totally did. There were those, and also 63 Mako Acorns. Were there Acorn Ben Hogans or just the Farm and Field?

No stainless Ben Hogan #65 or Babylon Hill #64 that I know of.

That's a really nice one! What blade profile is the secondary, spey or wharncliffe?

Andrew, Couple of those look familiar. :)

Dave,

GEC hasn't made any SS knives since 2016, my wishful speculation ... GEC will upgrade from 440C to a better stainless, ATS34 maybe, they do have experience with that steel.

What pattern of traditional do you like now? I prefer around 3.5" single clip blade, pinchable with nice snap. Just so happens GEC 15 pattern is well designed / made and fits my needs. For a using knife, I like a little texture on the handle for grip. GEC 15 SS in burnt orange bone is almost perfect, if it had a pleasing two-tone contrast bone, it would be perfect. Elk 15s are nice too, but the orange bone has a better texture. They come up in the for sale forum or on the auction site from time to time. Viper is nice as it the conductor, if they fit your needs.

GECorangebone15.jpg

GECSS15s-1.jpg

Back