Get an Opossum Off Your Porch!

The problem with my raccoons is that over time they destroy the feeder. This is a replacement feeder and I don't want them messing this one up. They crawl down the chain that holds it or pull the feeder up to a branch and munch away.

Just the other day I saw two of this years cubs at the edge of my yard up a tree. This usually happens at night.

I'll see if I can post up a pic of my setup. I've never had a coon climb a skinny metal Shepard pole. There's nothing to sink their claws into.
Believe me, the coons around my parts breed like rabbits. I have more coons than anything.
I had to experiment with getting the pole high enough. Mine might look odd being so high, but it works.

I can see them climbing up a tree and gaining access from above that way. But with this setup?

I think I'm going to change my sunflower feeder (fairly large wire mesh cylinder shape) to something along the lines you show in your photo. I just need a tall one so the cats can't jump up and swat the birds down and then kill them.

Right now it is hung from a tree limb on a chain.... the raccoons pull the chain and feeder up to them on the limb. Squirrels obviously can get to the feed.

Last edited:
Just eat them if there's too many, they taste good cooked in a crockpot in Barbeque sauce. Me and my dad and friends used to hunt them all the time.

I experimented and played around with various hanging methods. Between the squirrels and the coons, they were cleaning me out.....not anymore.
A friend of mine's dad had issues with squirrels. He was retired and everytime he'd try something, the squirrels would figure it out in a day or two. It got to me kinda like a game to him. Like Bill Murray and Caddyshack. He finally built a platform out of stainless steel. It had small sidewalls. He'd put the seed on the platform. But, what he did was run a small current of electricity to the metal platform. He ran a wire into his living room where he had a doorbell mounted on the wall by the picture window. Whenever the squirrels would get up there, he'd, "juice em up" He got a big kick out of it and it didn't really hurt the squirrels.

Last edited:
The best method I found to keep squirrels out of my bird feed, was to just start telling people I feed squirrels and the birds eat what's left after the squirrels eat.......

Boys, I saw this in a magazine today at my eye doctors. A feller could make one with some metal conduit and a conduit bender.

One evening my farther was helping me carry a new picnic table into my backyard when I noticed a possum run from under my deck. Instantly I knew what was up, you see my wife had found a rabbits nest under the deck while doing some yard work and it had 5 babies in it and the possum had killed all 5 and was in the process of eating them when we scared it off. I was pissed to say the least and I knew the wife would be upset but that's the circle of life so we continued assembling the table when I here my father say It's back! as he reached for a broom. We made a plan to creep up on it from two sides and bludgeon it but when I came around the corner dad was in mid swing and when he connected he must of hit the ground first leaving him with a broken broomstick and a very pissed off possum snarling and showing teeth. Being a big strong marine he decided to disengage and fall back but in the process of running/retreating backwards he tripped on his ass with the possum in hot pursuit. seeing my dad on his butt and the giant rat steaming down on him i did what came to mind and that was to run and punt the beast as hard as I could, and I did, so well that it flew in a 10 foot arc landing right next to my dad's head and as he rolled over he was looking face to face with it and as he was covering up his face with his hands and log rolling away from it I again run full speed at it but this time instead of kicking it I drove my foot onto it's head 3 or 5 times maybe more. As I looked down on the carnage my farther put his hand on my shoulder and said You can stop now, He's dead. We laughed about that night for years when telling the story of the flying possum and my manor of dispatching it, It was coined The Possum Stomp. True story and I still get laughs to this day while telling it. Miss you Dad, Sempfi

Back