Get to work!!!

I just printed off a copy of your drawing and I am headed out to the shop to get started on this. I'll try to post progress pictures in this thread so you can keep up with how it is going.

Thanks,
SDS

Here are a few pictures of the process getting started.

First I printed off a copy of the drawing that you posted Tony.

010-2.jpg

Next I cut out a paper template.

011-2.jpg

That was then converted to a plexiglass template so I can hold the pattern in my hand to see how it feels.

014-2.jpg

Next the pattern was transferred to steel.

019-1.jpg

Before I do any more work to the handle I wanted to make sure you wanted the handle the length you had drawn. It seemed a little bit short to me so I when I cut it out I lengthened it just a bit. I can shorten it back if you'd prefer.

If you aren't sure I would recommend that you get some thick cardboard and cut out the pattern with the handle the length you drew and another one the length I drew. Decide which feels best to you and let me know.

Here is a picture of the two lengths drawn side by side.

017.jpg

It's very cool seeing the process of getting sketch to steel. Your knife is looking good Tony

very cool Shawn...:thumbup: i'm sure that knife is going to turn out great... Tony did a great job with the design...:) looking forward to seeing more progress pics...

Oh wow, I didn't know you had started this allready. It looks great. Disregard my last pm..

I will cut out a cardboard template and check the handle length now. Thanks!

I'll be right back!

I like the longer length!

Thank you for taking that into consideration Shawn!!!

You guys are great. I like how fast you are getting into this Shawn, and of course Tony says, "I'll be right back," and he comes right back with his answer! I feel like I'm in the same room. Very cool!

I love these progression threads. Thanks for posting this up.

Shawn is a great guy to work with. :thumbup:

Thanks guys. Well I was about to head out to the shop but I think I'll wait a little while. There was a skunk out there and when he saw me he slid under the barn door. My shop is inside the barn. I think I'll give him awhile to settle down before I go out there. He is a regular so it isn't that big of a deal but he seemed a little agitated.

I'll post more pictures when I make more progress. Hopefully I can get the blade ground out this week. Tomorrow is Cub Scout meeting and Wed. is Bible study so progress will likely slow a little bit.

SDS

Well tonight I got a bit more done than last night. As per our conversation in PM's Tony, here is another profile that I think more accurately matches what you were wanting.

004-4.jpg

005-3.jpg

The new one is the top one in these pictures.
Let me know which you prefer.
SDS

Oh hell I don't know. They both look great.

Yeah the blade shape is spot on, but the other one is really growing on me.

Can I say both ?

If I had to choose one, I'd go with which ever one has the wider blade and handle.

Damn, this is a tuff choice.

oohh.. both of those look great Shawn...:thumbup: i think you should make them both and i'm sure "somebody" will buy the other one....:D :cool:

How about I make them both and Tony can get first choice. I can either put the other one up for sale here or I have a show coming up that I still need to finish some knives for.

I'll keep you all posted on the progress. This is going a lot faster than most of my projects do. I may even be able to get the heat treating done sometime next week.

SDS

That is very generous of you to make both knives Shawn. I have ordered quite a few knives from makers here, but never onced designed one. You have made this process a pleasure and extremely easy.

Thank you!

That looks great Tony, and some good work Shawn. It's really cool to have your own design 'realized'. :thumbup: Can't wait to see it with handles and in use.

Back