Get to work!!!

Well here they are as of tonight. All glued up with the handles roughed out. Left to right the handle materials are green canvas micarta, natural canvas micarta, green canvas micarta and black G10.

002-3.jpg

SDS

I have one nearly finished now. I do a fair bit of hand sanding on the handles so it takes a little while for each knife. Here is the progress so far....

001-3.jpg

011-4.jpg

002-4.jpg

009-5.jpg

008-4.jpg

Tony, do you prefer a polished finish or a satin/brushed finish on the blade?

SDS

that one came out great Shawn...:thumbup: I really like the design of this knife.. Tony did a nice job...

Tony is actually out of town for a few days, he's camping with his brother Marcelo...:) i'm sure he'll check in as soon as he gets back...

Great looking knives - I really like the natural micarta a lot.

You are going to have some very happy customers there, my friend.

Thanks guys. Mike, thanks for letting me know Tony is out of pocket for a bit. I have plenty to keep me busy until long after he gets back.

I'll try to get back to the shop later tonight to see if I can't work on one of the others.

SDS

Thanks BarberFobic. There is still a lot of tape residue and gunk on the blades from workong on them but I took the tape off of that one blade to get a picture. I still have quite a bit of work to do on them all. I'll leave it up to Tony whether he wants a polished blade or a satin finish.

On the others I haven't decided what finish I'll leave on them yet.

Thanks again for looking and for the comments.
SDS

Damn!!!!!!!!!!!!! Look at all those purty knives all glued up....and 1 about done with a wicked polish finish.:eek:

How does one go and say; "No, I don't like a polished finish" after seeing that last pic?? I think I will go polished.

Shawn you are making it very hard for me to decide. I am pretty sure I will want the one you have about finished and the original if you would permit me to buy both. I think you have them both handled in green micarta:thumbup:

I can do a satin/brushed finish if you prefer. I just buffed it out since I had it close.

I don't remember if the other one with the green handle or the natural handled one is the original design. I'll try to get out to the shop in a little bit to see but to answer your question, yes. You can buy one, two or all of them. This was your idea. Whatever you don't buy I'll probably put up for sale in the makers for sale section.

I have to finish up the handles on the other knives and square up the spine on them all so they have really square edges like you asked for. After that I'll get the sheaths made up.

I'll keep you posted on the progress.

SDS

Nooooo! The polish looks freaaking beautiful!!!

I like it!, forgive my poor attempt an sarcasm in the previous post:eek:

Thanks again Shawn:thumbup:

No worries man. I was just letting you know that taking it back to a satin finish is easy. I usually take a finish past where I want it to be and then back up a step.

Polished it is.

SDS

Man, I can't stop looking at these. You did a great job on the handle Shawn, it is exactly what I wanted. :thumbup:

I don't think I could be happier:):)

Update time:

I got to spend some more time in the shop tonight. Here are the fruits of my labor so far.

The black handled knife is quite a bit thinner than the other knives as you can see.

Tony, have you thought about what kind of sheath('s) you want yet? Leather pouch style, something with a retention strap of some kind, kydex? My Kydex work isn't nearly as nice as many on here but I can usually come up with something serviceable. I would suggest a pouch style but thats just my preference.

042-Copy.jpg

043-Copy.jpg

044-Copy.jpg

045.jpg

Thanks for looking,
SDS

Holy crap!!! They look wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm all giddy now! Leather pouch style will be great Shawn! I like leather more than kydex .

I will still eventually have a kydex made for it anyhow. I tend to have more than 1 sheath for my favorite knives that see the most use.....

Can you put a firesteel loop on them?

Shawn thanks for bringing this to life!!!

Back