Get to work!!!

I was going to post on here last night but I haven't taken any new pictures to post up. The knives are finished. Now for the tedious part of it (at least for me). The sheaths.

I probably wouldn't dread the leatherwork nearly as much but I handstitch everything and it is pretty time consuming. Just part of the process though.

Tony has dibs on the two green handled knives. The other two will be for sale when they are finished.

I'll try to get a picture of the knives to post up here and I'll post again when I get the sheaths finished up.

Thanks,
SDS

very cool Shawn.. i'm looking forward to checking them out....:thumbup: maybe i can scrounge up a few $$$ and score one of those extras....:eek:

Sorry that I got greedy fellas and took 2, but I just couldn't make up my mind:eek:

I am sure Shawn can make more for yall, he's just an email away.:thumbup:

Here are a few more pictures. I have gotten started on the first sheath and will do more tomorrow.

021.jpg

020-1.jpg

026.jpg

The upper blade here is the polished one. The lower one has a field grade finish. Just trying to show the contrast.

024.jpg

Thanks for being so patient with me guys. I realize the process goes a bit slow. It's hard finding shop time sometimes.

SDS

slow? for four knives, i thought that was pretty quick, especially considering all of the detail/finish work you put in :thumbup: You did a great job with all of those, but the natural micarta one came out best in my opinion.

Sheath's are now finished. I did cheat though. I had them stitched by a local leather shop so that I could get them finished. I am going to be going out of town next week and wanted to have this project completed. The sheaths have been wet formed and are drying now. I will dye them later tonight and seal them hopefully tomorrow.

The knives need to be sharpened and have my makers mark applied and they will be ready to ship.

I have a question that I could use some help with. There have been several inquiries as to whether the two extra knives will be for sale. I have not had anyone commit to buying them however. I want to be as fair as possible so my question is, what is the most fair way to offer them for sale?

Should I post a "window" during which I will post them in the makers for sale section? This was my first thought but I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks guys,
SDS

I'm sure if you post them in the Knifemakers FS area they will go pretty quickly.

Nice work on those - That black one is sweet!

Shawn you have made this such a great experience!!! I never had so much fun waiting for a knife. This was the first time I designed anything, and if it weren't for you I never would have. I love how the knives turned out and thanks for steering me in the right direction on some details.

I think if no one has pm'd you requesting you sell them the knife, posting them in the for sale area is completely fair!

Here are the sheaths. I just got finished dying them and tomorrow I'll seal them up. If I can get everything finished tomorrow then I'll be posting the tan handled and black handled knives in the makers for sale section tomorrow evening.

Here they are before being dyed:

002-5.jpg

And here they are after:

003-1.jpg

Tony, I'm glad you have enjoyed this. It has been a lot of fun for me as well. Your should ship out on Monday.

Thanks,
SDS

Sheaths look great Shawn, love the colors you chose:thumbup:

I'll be harassing the mailman every day starting Tuesday:D

They are nearly finished. By the time I lay my wee little head on my pillow tonight they should be done. I will head to the shop after the kids go to bed later.

Here are the sheaths all finished. I still need to finish up the firesteels for Tony and sharpen and mark the blades.

004-5.jpg

SDS

Shawn they all look great! The natural one looks excellent with that color sheath.

Thanks for the bonus on the firesteels bro!!

I can't wait to get em!

Well they are all done. I am going to braid up some lanyards and Tony's knives will be in the mail tomorrow. I will be putting the other two knives up for sale in the makers for sale section in a few minutes.

Thanks to everyone who has been watching this thread. It has been fun to hear the comments as the knvies progressed. If anyone has any questions about these, or any of my knives feel free to ask here, p.m. me, or send me and email (shawn@sdsknifeworks.com).

This isn't a very good picture but I thought it was still kind of fun. I couldn't figure out what was showing up on the blade on the right. I finally figured out that it is the ceiling texture that is being reflected on the blade.

001-4.jpg

These next two pictures are me TRYING to show how sharp the knives are. I never know how to photograph how sharp a knife is. The first on is a piece of paper that I shaved and the second shows what happened when I slid the knife over my arm.

002-6.jpg

004-6.jpg

The following pictures are of the other two knives that were made.

009-6.jpg

010-3.jpg

011-5.jpg

008-5.jpg

007-3.jpg

006-6.jpg

005-5.jpg

Thanks for looking.
SDS

I got the two green knives today.

They are great Shawn! The handles are exactly what I wanted; simple, thick, and well rounded! Extremely comfortable in every grip.

I am pretty booked the next 10 days, but I will get a full write up on them soon!!!

Thank for everything bro!

dang shawn! I'm so glad you have a forum here!!!!!!!!!!! It's nice to see a fellow okie makin' it!

we need to have coffee soon. I am much more free now that school is out!

thanks,
brett

Tony, I just got back in town. I haven't even unpacked yet but wanted to see if you had gotten your knives. I'm glad to see you did and I hope you have had a chance to put them to some good use. Please let me know how they work for you.

Brett, let me know when you want to grab a cup of coffee. I have a pretty flexible schedule as you know. Good to see you back around on here.

Shawn

I hope you had a good trip Shawn.

The knives arrived safe and sound.

I like them both. I am more partial to the polished one. The grips feel just a tad bit better for me. I haven't had the chance to use them yet.
Hopefully next week.....
They both came hair popping sharp with a very nice edge!

You did a great job with that design Shawn!

Tony, I'm glad your happy with them. The design was all yours. I just made what you told me to. I'd love to see pictures of them getting used hard when you get a chance.

Thanks,
SDS

Back