Giant Mouse Ace Grand

:D
Seems like a good habit to have.

Yeah, that's probably(hopefully) it. Haven't had a problem with any other of my GM's.

Depending on what you have at your disposal, putting your own edge on it can often help edge retention even out of super steels like Elmax in my opinion. A lot of ink has been spilled on this over in the maintenance and tinkering section but it can be the case that the second, third, or even fourth edge on a knife have better retention than the factory edge. This can be due to a variety of factors like edge angle profile, finishing grit, etc but it can also be because the steel in the "middle" of the blade yet unexposed is more close to the optimal heat treat and hasnt been cooked on the grinding belts from the factory affecting the HT.

Not to mention that once you set the angle on your own you know exactly what angle to do your stropping or ceramic sticks to keep that edge keen through daily use. Id probably give it a full sharpening job on my own before declaring it a bad HT or a lemon.

Looks like a new batch is going to be dropping this Saturday. About time.

It's a workhorse...

20200328-DSCF5067-Edit-2.jpg

Really hoping to get my hands on one this batch. Hopefully they don't just sell out instantly like the last run.

Sold out in under 5 min and I missed out AGAIN. I know it is just indicative of a product that is in demand but a huge part of me wants to know how many units they are actually producing in order to sell out in less than five minutes flat. Can't be more than 150 or so.

Sold out in under 5 min and I missed out AGAIN. I know it is just indicative of a product that is in demand but a huge part of me wants to know how many units they are actually producing in order to sell out in less than five minutes flat. Can't be more than 150 or so.

I was fortunate enough to score one this time. Still plenty of opportunities for you at ADs, though. Just make sure to sign up for the dealer alerts at a couple of places. Good luck to you!

I was fortunate enough to score one this time. Still plenty of opportunities for you at ADs, though. Just make sure to sign up for the dealer alerts at a couple of places. Good luck to you!

Ya I have already signed up for email alerts at bladehq and GPknives since I dont have any local cutlery shops to support. Of course I also had email alerts set up on Giantmouse's site as well and by the time that came in and I clicked the link they were sold out. Heres to hoping the dealers have a decent stock coming in.

Just received mine in the mail today. My first GM knife and likely won't be my last!

First impressions are very favorable. Super smooth action, dead centered, early and rock solid lockup, no lock stick, screaming sharp factory edge, nice grinds and edge bevel, and super comfortable with a firm hold in saber/hammer/pinch grips. Easily Spydie flicked too :thumbsup:

20201118_130541_copy_1814x2419.jpg

Digging up old thread as I have found it helpful while considering purchase. These are still somewhat hard to get - especially in green micarta. I was able to get one in natural micarta from bladehq this week. Natural color is very nice and pictures don’t do it justice. I’ve only had it a couple days so no real world use yet.

I’m also interested if anyone has longer term updates from the last year. how are they holding up?

Comments on my sample fit and finish.

The good:
-Detent seems very good. No amount of effort would shake the blade out. Blade pops appropriately with thumb flick. Wouldn’t change it a bit
-Scales on mine are great and look like mirror image of each other.
-No issue with tip when closed. Perfect blade centering. Generally very well done.

The minor gripes:
-Clip has small gap to the scales
-Liner lock can falsely engage if blade if opened very very slowly. Clicks over a little and seems locked but with pressure pushes past. Almost got ugly. This seems to be going away/gone as it breaks in and isn’t really an issue if opening normally - I pretty much have to try to do it.
Edit: I should mention the picture below is FULL lockup.

Other observations:
-The liner lock and stop pin seem dwarfed by the blade stock. I’m sure it’s fine, just looks undersized by comparison.
-They are now printing Elmax on the blade. Curious that they started doing that. I still have printing on the steel liner as before. I don’t see any pictures or videos floating around that have it.

Last edited:
Digging up old thread as I have found it helpful while considering purchase. These are still somewhat hard to get - especially in green micarta. I was able to get one in natural micarta from bladehq this week. Natural color is very nice and pictures don’t do it justice. I’ve only had it a couple days so no real world use yet.

I’m also interested if anyone has longer term updates from the last year. how are they holding up?

Comments on my sample fit and finish.

The good:
-Detent seems very good. No amount of effort would shake the blade out. Blade pops appropriately with thumb flick. Wouldn’t change it a bit
-Scales on mine are great and look like mirror image of each other.
-No issue with tip when closed. Perfect blade centering. Generally very well done.

The minor gripes:
-Clip has small gap to the scales
-Liner lock can falsely engage if blade if opened very very slowly. Clicks over a little and seems locked but with pressure pushes past. Almost got ugly. This seems to be going away/gone as it breaks in and isn’t really an issue if opening normally - I pretty much have to try to do it.
Edit: I should mention the picture below is FULL lockup.

Other observations:
-The liner lock and stop pin seem dwarfed by the blade stock. I’m sure it’s fine, just looks undersized by comparison.
-They are now printing Elmax on the blade. Curious that they started doing that. I still have printing on the steel liner as before. I don’t see any pictures or videos floating around that have it.

Its a great blade I have had mine for right at about a year (I believe that I got mine at the end of November last year). Overall it has held up fairly well.

I agree that the liner lock and the stop pin just seem out of place with the rest of the knife design... thick contoured scales, full four finger grip, thick stock, stout broad blade... just screams heavy user. However my example much like yours has a very early lockup that you do get a small false lockup before it fully clicks into place. Again, it has never closed on my fingers and has held up well under the light use it has been through over the past year but it does seem like a bit of a design incongruency. Has the stop pin and liner lock of a gentlemans knife but the scales, size, and blade stock of a hard user.

My detent is also softer than yours. I can shake my example out easily. It doesnt bother me as this is still a very deliberate movement but just worth mentioning that it seems that there is some significant variance in the detent.

Also worth mentioning that my example much like yours seems to have that gap between the clip and the scales. This results in very little retention unless I am wearing thicker pants. I have never lost the knife but worth pointing out. I have considered pulling the clip off and trying to pinch it tighter in a pair of pliers but have held off on doing so. Maybe someone here has done something similar.

Its a great blade I have had mine for right at about a year (I believe that I got mine at the end of November last year). Overall it has held up fairly well.

I agree that the liner lock and the stop pin just seem out of place with the rest of the knife design... thick contoured scales, full four finger grip, thick stock, stout broad blade... just screams heavy user. However my example much like yours has a very early lockup that you do get a small false lockup before it fully clicks into place. Again, it has never closed on my fingers and has held up well under the light use it has been through over the past year but it does seem like a bit of a design incongruency. Has the stop pin and liner lock of a gentlemans knife but the scales, size, and blade stock of a hard user.

My detent is also softer than yours. I can shake my example out easily. It doesnt bother me as this is still a very deliberate movement but just worth mentioning that it seems that there is some significant variance in the detent.

Also worth mentioning that my example much like yours seems to have that gap between the clip and the scales. This results in very little retention unless I am wearing thicker pants. I have never lost the knife but worth pointing out. I have considered pulling the clip off and trying to pinch it tighter in a pair of pliers but have held off on doing so. Maybe someone here has done something similar.

Hi. Sorry for slow reply. Regarding the clip, I used a cloth around it (to avoid scratches ) and pinched it slowly in a small vice. I went slow and had to try a couple times testing the fit and going a bit further. Really didn’t want to over tighten. It turned out well for me.

I’m finding that I don’t carry this knife. I love it in the pocket but the big blade is so cumbersome to deploy. EDC I seem to always grab something more nimble. As you state, it doesn’t seem like a hard user so I don’t grab it in that scenario either. So while I like it, it’s never the “right” time to carry it.

Hi. Sorry for slow reply. Regarding the clip, I used a cloth around it (to avoid scratches ) and pinched it slowly in a small vice. I went slow and had to try a couple times testing the fit and going a bit further. Really didn’t want to over tighten. It turned out well for me.

I’m finding that I don’t carry this knife. I love it in the pocket but the big blade is so cumbersome to deploy. EDC I seem to always grab something more nimble. As you state, it doesn’t seem like a hard user so I don’t grab it in that scenario either. So while I like it, it’s never the “right” time to carry it.
I will give the clip tightening a whirl over the holidays and see if I can clean up the retention in the way you did.

I do tend to agree that the blade is currently kind of in an intermediary spot in my collection and doesn't seem to make it in the pocket that much. The size of the knife doesnt really bother me though it loses out to other knives in its size class for all of the reasons you mentioned. If I don't plan on running into too difficult of tasks that day I will opt for something a bit slimmer in pocket that is more nimble in hand.

Something like the We Knives Esprit, Hogue mini Ritter, civivi Brazen or even the Kapara. If I am going to do some heavier duty stuff I gravitate towards something with a more robust lock and stop pin like a Manix 2, Benchmade 560-1, PM2 or even the sebenza.

There is nothing wrong with the knives in technical specs or anything it just currently is in a bit of a no mans land when it comes to select the knife for the day.

I will give the clip tightening a whirl over the holidays and see if I can clean up the retention in the way you did.

I do tend to agree that the blade is currently kind of in an intermediary spot in my collection and doesn't seem to make it in the pocket that much. The size of the knife doesnt really bother me though it loses out to other knives in its size class for all of the reasons you mentioned. If I don't plan on running into too difficult of tasks that day I will opt for something a bit slimmer in pocket that is more nimble in hand.

Something like the We Knives Esprit, Hogue mini Ritter, civivi Brazen or even the Kapara. If I am going to do some heavier duty stuff I gravitate towards something with a more robust lock and stop pin like a Manix 2, Benchmade 560-1, PM2 or even the sebenza.

There is nothing wrong with the knives in technical specs or anything it just currently is in a bit of a no mans land when it comes to select the knife for the day.

Just a note that the wire clip tries to twist so make sure it’s square and try to hold it straight.

It sounds like we are very similar. I keep reaching for Spydercos. PM3, PM2, Kapara, Manix (lw and fat).

You nailed it. Love the materials but in no man’s land.

Back