Glass cutting board! WHY??!!

So I recently visited my parents for a few days and during that time I decided to sharpen most of their kitchen knives because they were all butter knife dull. I got them mirror finish, hair popping sharp and over the next day or two both my parents ended up cutting themselves twice each because they weren't use to the sharpness.
But towards the end of my trip I noticed that the knives I had just sharpened were back to having rolled and dinged edges and were completely dull again!! I was shocked and a little upset that my hours of work went down the drain so quickly.

During lunch I figured out why. They were using a glass cutting board!!
Who in their right mind would manufacture a glass cutting board!?? Who in their right mind would buy and use a glass cutting board!? I don't get it...what's the point??

I learn something new everyday and got today’s learning done early. People even give them great reviews (and pay $40 for them)...
6FC329A1-DED4-4BA1-958B-CEF782F8809C.jpeg

I was given one long ago before I knew much about them and my grandmother has had one for longer, she may have given me mine, ultimately it is people not knowing it dulls the knives and not really caring about having razor sharp. They just want sharp enough to function and often have a honing steel that is never used and a pull through sharpener to sharpen their kitchen knives.

I will add once I learned I ended up buying some cutting mats, I guess they could be called it is a thin cutting surface, I usually placed on top of my glass cutting board this reduced the damage to the blades. I eventually got at least some inexpensive wood boards later which due to either a careless user, not myself, or cheap construction will need a replacement unlike the one my parents have which is at least close to the same age as I am.

People don't know or care about knives and glass cutting boards looks nice and are easy to clean.
I have two glass cutting boards that get used sparingly for various purposes. I cut the most on a plastic one. I feel the wood versions (but they look nice) absorb odors and potentially "other stuff", hence I was concerned about appropriate cleaning after use.

Surprised that the edges suffered so quickly. They must do a lot of cutting on their glass boards.

Pretty hard to teach old dogs new tricks. But I would probably buy them a cutting board or two and mention about the knife edges.

Growing up my mother used the glass boards. Even as a kid it never made sense lol.

These epicurian cutting boards are great. Grabbed some for my wife last x mas from my a local shop. Nonpourus paper/wood base material.

I picked up these particular ones because they have the groove to hold juices if you're cutting fruit or meet on one side and the other is just flat.

epicurean-cutting-boards-all-in-one-natural-black-set.jpg

Last edited:
I have two glass cutting boards that get used sparingly for various purposes. I cut the most on a plastic one. I feel the wood versions (but they look nice) absorb odors and potentially "other stuff", hence I was concerned about appropriate cleaning after use.

Surprised that the edges suffered so quickly. They must do a lot of cutting on their glass boards.

Pretty hard to teach old dogs new tricks. But I would probably buy them a cutting board or two and mention about the knife edges.
They've actually done a few studies on which cutting boards hold the most bacteria and pretty consistently found that wooden cutting boards are actually the most hygienic option.

Growing up my mother used the glass boards. Even as a kid it never made sense lol.

These epicurian cutting boards are great. Grabbed some for my wife last x mas from my a local shop. Nonpourus paper/wood base material.

View attachment 1194110

I came to say the same thing. A cousin of mine who is a chef bought us one for a gift, and they're the best option available that I know of.

"Good Eats" did a show on knives, how to purchase and maintain them. He talks about cutting boards and which boards are good for each use.
He made a point that glass boards are evil like dark lord sith evil. Stuck with me to this day, all I use are plastic boards.

"Good Eats" did a show on knives, how to purchase and maintain them. He talks about cutting boards and which boards are good for each use.
He made a point that glass boards are evil like dark lord sith evil. Stuck with me to this day, all I use are plastic boards.
I remember watching a clip on edge retention by, I think, America's Test Kitchen and the knives they were testing weren't dulling quickly enough in use, so they pulled out glass cutting boards (which they were careful to explain you should never use) to massively accelerate the process.

...I picked up these particular ones because they have the groove to hold juices if you're cutting fruit or meet on one side and the other is just flat.

View attachment 1194110
:thumbsup: I used a dremel with a round cutting bit and routed grooves in cutting boards for friends. If your cutting board isn't glass/ceramic and doesn't have a groove and you want it to, know that it is a pretty easy mod :)

So I recently visited my parents for a few days and during that time I decided to sharpen most of their kitchen knives because they were all butter knife dull. I got them mirror finish, hair popping sharp and over the next day or two both my parents ended up cutting themselves twice each because they weren't use to the sharpness.
But towards the end of my trip I noticed that the knives I had just sharpened were back to having rolled and dinged edges and were completely dull again!! I was shocked and a little upset that my hours of work went down the drain so quickly.

During lunch I figured out why. They were using a glass cutting board!!
Who in their right mind would manufacture a glass cutting board!?? Who in their right mind would buy and use a glass cutting board!? I don't get it...what's the point??

My mom insists on them despite knowing fully that they destroy the knife edges. Granted, she nearly died of foodborne hepatitis as a kid, so I can understand why she likes them. I've told her over and over though that plastic boards are equally sanitary and don't ruin your knives.

I bought them one of those crappy counter top sharpeners. They suck, but if you're going to immediately slam the apex into a piece of glass it's better than nothing.

Who uses a cutting board? I hang my meat :p or what ever I want to cut with a rope and use my Cold Steel products to slice and hack at them with a bowl underneath to catch the droppings.

I also play cool music while I'm doing it.

If the wife is home, I use a wooden cutting board.

Back