Going into the wilderness. What's your SAK?

Huntsman is my normal pick, but a Camper comes a close second. Just so long as it has a saw and isn't too thick I'm not that fussy.

Do any of the Alox models have toothpick/tweezers? Or are they too thin?

Do any of the Alox models have toothpick/tweezers? Or are they too thin?

Nope. It's not a matter of being too thin. The regular SAKs have scales that attach to liners. On the Alox models, the scale IS the liner. There's nowhere to put the tweezer/toothpick. Personally, I can do without the toothpick. I like the tweezers, though, so I carry a pair on my keychain.

Does anyone know if the magnifying glass on the Explorer or Champ is sufficient enough to start fire? It's pretty small.

I got a dried leaf charred and smoking on a moderate Autumn day without too much effort, so I would assume you would be able to start a fire with enough focus.

Just because it has never worked for me doesn't mean it can't done. I have tried for years under a variety of sun conditions using dried leaves, darkened paper (impossible with white paper) and fuzz sticks has netted me burn holes, smoke, and nothing more. If the situation were desperate enough, maybe it would work. I would prefer a lighter.

Another one for the Farmer.

I carry a Trekker.

But I am curious as to why everyone loves the farmer? Because of the saw?
The saw was a big part of my decision, but I really fell for the red alox scales. Now I have a knife that is classy enough to not be out of place when I'm in a suit, on campus, or at a meeting, but more than tough enough to cut a low hanging limb over the trail when I'm out fourwheeling, help cut up firewood, adjust an old Jeep's carburetor, etc...

Although I'm still tempted by the Trekkers, especially the ones with black scales. :foot:

The Farmer. Though I would like to get my hands on one of these Electrician Plus's.

I keep an original trekker (not the one handed opening one) in my truck and i rucksack in my bag but after getting a farmer the other day it hasnt left my pocket. It will stay in my pocket out in the woods from here on out im bettin..;)

Pioneer Harvester, I don't take canned food hiking with me usually, and there aren't too many screws to put in or take out, out there either.

I keep an original trekker (not the one handed opening one) in my truck and i rucksack in my bag but after getting a farmer the other day it hasnt left my pocket. It will stay in my pocket out in the woods from here on out im bettin..;)

I bet you'll take it out of your pocket once in a while when your out in the woods. ;)

OHT - edges out the Farmer or Elec. Plus due to having a longer saw; edges out the 111mm Soldier due to having the toothpick & tweezers. (Love all the aforementioned, tho! ;)) OHT is borderline for pocket carry, but rides vertically very well next to my wallet or with a bandana wadded up and stuffed next to it - anything to keep it vertical!

OH Trekker for me. The larger blade is more useable on a lot of things, and especially so is the longer saw. Pocket space is no problem. Carried by belt hanger, my OHT rides the back seam of a jeans pocket, where it can be totally ignored until needed. Love the Alox, but for outdoor use, yard, woods or afield, this has become my favored knife/multitool (for scissors and nail file, I pack a Micra.)

Last edited:
The Farmer is my favourite outdoor SAK. It is sturdy and has the tools I need most. In the rucksack I always have a Huntsman, which is my backup SAK and it provides some extra tools that are handy sometimes, like the scissors. The Farmer is a bit thinner than the Huntsman and ideal for pocket carry. I also have the new Soldier, but for me it is too big for the pocket and I don't need the larger blade, since I carry a Mora too.

Usually a Fireman, in the future I'll try my "new generation" soldier.

Saludos.

Jaime Orozco.

In addition to the Farmer, I really like the new liner lock Soldiers. Much better grip than the OHT's.

It all depends really. I usually carry a Farmer or Pioneer Harvester.. But, I feel a Victorinox Spirit is a lot more versatile.

OH Trekker for me. The larger blade is more useable on a lot of things, and especially so is the longer saw. Pocket space is no problem. Carried by belt hanger, my OHT rides the back seam of a jeans pocket, where it can be totally ignored until needed. Love the Alox, but for outdoor use, yard, woods or afield, this has become my favored knife/multitool

+1 on all that! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

No intent to derail this thread - I have found the key to comfortable pocket carry for a OHT/new Soldier is to somehow keep it vertical in the pocket. Horizontally it feels like a big ole' lump of lead!

Back