Going into the wilderness. What's your SAK?

I didn't mean to dis your Wenger/Buck. There was a time when Wengers didn't quite match the quality of Victorinox. Maybe yours doesn't match that particular time frame. :)

Last edited:
Since the Vic takeover, it is not clear if there have been any manufacturing upgrades in current Wenger offerings. In my own experience with previous models, though, Wenger SAKs were not quite up to their Victorinox counterparts in design or execution. However, they were still very good products, hardly junk at all. That said, Wenger was always capable of producing milspec quality knives equal to those made by Vic. In fact, I prefer the Wenger SI because of the bail. This allows for belt hanger carry, lanyards, field expedient plumb bobs or other useful purposes, not possible with the Soldier. What went into their Buck collaborations, I don't know, but manufacture was apparently up to Buck standards.

No disrespect taken :).There's a SAK for all tastes. I really only use the farmer and OHT in the woods, and the others have fallen by the wayside as want to hand them off to the next generation, as they were to me. The swissbuck seems identical to the Vic Camper (i think it's called a 'Trekker'). The scales are grooved and feel less slick and more sturdy in the hand. Really just not used anymore because I feel I'm just holding onto them for the youngsters.

The other 70's Wengers are interesting. I'll have to start a new thread so as to keep this one on topic. They both look like Vic Pocket Pal, except with bale and clip point blade, and a really tough plastic scale that matches alox in strength.

I had one of those swiss/bucks years ago and gave it to my dad. It was of very high quality. My dad did manage to break a sizable chunk off of one scale with a fall from a 12' ladder to the concrete floor below. The swiss/buck scales are IMO a little tougher than the regular red plastic specimens but are in NOOOO way as sturdy as ALOX. I have yet to see a busted ALOX scale from normal everyday use and carry. Busted plastic scales do happen but not very often. SAK's of any variety, plastic or ALOX, are tough little buggers.

This is my all-time favorite SAK, so it would definitely be with me. It's a modified Farmer with scissors added.

Ron
SDC12473.jpg

I LOVE that alox SAK! I used to have a blue farmer with scissors and I traded it.. :( I've regretted that trade ever since!

I'd take a Swiss Bianco Bushcrafter if I had one. Blade, reamer, saw. Perfect!

i have for decades used my vic ranger, (with added mini screw driver in corkscrew-which i like to have in case my sun glasses need help) for climbing and camping all over the world

-nothing else

for really long treks and climbs in nepal, south america and alaska- i took my swiss champ because of the pliers-it was worth the extra bulk-the pliers are rarely used for anything other than hot bails and lids on pots and frying pans

Vic Fieldmaster. Its my knife of last resort, I keep it it in my left front pocket with a length of para-cord through the lanyard ring that is then attached to my belt loop. That way if all else is lost I will at least have my fieldmaster.

In the wild, I think you may need at least 2 blades (keeping one clean and sharp) and a saw.
Anyway, I would take the Victorinox Ranger, It has more than the basic 'wild' functionnalities but since it doesn't weight much ... ;)

Hiker because it has a woodsaw.

A commando style wire saw cuts wood much better, and faster though.

-Freq

Back