Goliath

CJZ

That's the name I coined for my newest acquisition.

What is it?

The Spyderco Military.

When I opened this puppy up, I was like a little kid. Boy did I love it. But it had a little work to do. The blade was a little dull, it needed oil, the centering was off, the pivot gave off a metal on metal scraping screech and it had minuscule blade play. After some time with the Wicked Edge and some other tinkering, it is absolutely perfect. No play, razor sharp, centered, no sound in the pivot and it's smooth. Not as buttery smooth as my PM2, but close. Oh yeah, forgot to say, I got it for just $80.That may not seem amazing, but I also neglected to say it's also a sprint run...

:D:D:D:D:D

I'm no spyderco expert, but I think that is a fake.

Forgot to mention, the price and problems it had were caused by hard use from the previous owner- it also has a good bit of blade wear, that's why I got it so cheap.

Got it from a member on the forums here..... Guys, you're making my heart sink..... please don't tell me I bought a fake Millie :(

Seller is a Gold member with feedback score of (31) 100%.

I would think, and hope, it's legit.

My guess on how you fixed the problem.

It was cleaned.
It was oiled.
The pivot was adjusted.
And it was sharpened.

Seems normal to me for a millie that was used hard.

That's what I thought as well. But he is not the first owner either, so he may not be at fault. Does anyone know what to look for in a fake? I called Spyderco, and I'm probably going to send it in for validation.

So do I, brother. And the thing is, if it IS fake, you can't necessarily blame the seller, he might not have known either.

My guess on how you fixed the problem.

It was cleaned.
It was oiled.
The pivot was adjusted.
And it was sharpened.

Seems normal to me for a millie that was used hard.

Yup, yup, yup and yup. But these speculations of it being a fake make me nervous, ya know?

Yup, yup, yup and yup. But these speculations of it being a fake make me nervous, ya know?
The grit is normal for any folder when used for a while without a cleaning so to me that's says nothing. And my millie was a bit off center from the factory. I wouldn't worry too much.

The grit is normal for any folder when used for a while without a cleaning so to me that's says nothing. And my millie was a bit off center from the factory. I wouldn't worry too much.

Oh for sure, I'm used to grit and off center blades. But better to be safe than sorry, I'm still going to send it to Spyderco for their opinion. :)

So do I, brother. And the thing is, if it IS fake, you can't necessarily blame the seller, he might not have known either.

I know Q, I'm just trying to say he's got more credibility than Ebay. And you're right, seller could have bought a fake without knowing and sold under the same pretense that he bought it under. Threads like these seem to spiral out control fast, and the OP's get edgy and skeptic, I was just trying to add perspective. I know you get it. :thumbup:

More pics would help seal the case.

I know Q, I'm just trying to say he's got more credibility than Ebay. And you're right, seller could have bought a fake without knowing and sold under the same pretense that he bought it under. Threads like these seem to spiral out control fast, and the OP's get edgy and skeptic, I was just trying to add perspective. I know you get it. :thumbup:

More pics would help seal the case.

Will take some when I get home. Anything in particular I should photograph? (Etches, screws, etc)

If the seller isn't responsible for making sure that what he or she claims to be for sale is correct and authentic, then who is?

I would say that the seller is responsible for ensuring that whatever he or she sells is authentic, and is actually the item being advertised, regardless of how common the item is.

Unless, of course, it was advertised, and sold, as "A knife". However, if it's an extremely good clone of a common production item, then I'd say that as long as the seller didn't know, and offers a refund, it's ok.

All the pictures in the link of fakes have a torx pivot screw.
This is 1 of 2 of my orange ones. 1 bought at new graham and one at a local knife store in 2009. Mine has a hex/allen screw.

Edit to add - just check my Para 1's and all three have a different torx screws in the pivots so maybe Spyderco is just weird like that. The orange Militaries were originally a sprint run of 1200 I think then later brought back and discontinued again. Pivot screw might have changed the second run? Just an observation. I'd love for yours to be real, the Military is my favorite knife.

IMG_20140604_174825.jpg

Last edited:
Will take some when I get home. Anything in particular I should photograph? (Etches, screws, etc)

It looks suspiciously like the orange one in the pictures on the Spydie forum :(. One of the posters over their said the main tell was the finish of the lock was stonewashed and not bead blasted, and that the texture of the G-10 wasn't quite right. Chinese G-10 is more plasticky feeling and looks more like injection molded than laminated like a proper G-10.

Best way to figure this out for sure would be to contact Spyderco....

I am assuming that your knife came with it's original box?

There wil be a barcode and some numbers on there by the model number.

They should be able to work with that....

Back