Got the little locking Knipex Cobra wrench today

CSG

Dang, this is a thing of beauty and beats the hell out of typical multi-tool pliers with the exception of the needle nose ends on multi-tools. I got it as an accompaniment to the SAK Champion Plus I carry in my glove box (as well as a Leatherman Wave and Benchmade Griptilian). Even though the Leatherman multi-tools (and similar from other manufacturers) probably make more sense to carry on a hike or for camping, I'm a fool for the SAKs and prefer to carry them even if less efficient in some regards.

If I didn't have larger channel locks and Visegrips in my tool boxes, I'd pick some of these up in their larger sizes. At a net cost to me (thanks to an Amazon credit), I paid $17 and change including tax. Photo is from the KC Tools website to give you a sense of size. Anyway, helluva tool and deal!
iu

Mine are due to be delivered on Friday. Did yours come with the red vinyl grips? I read somewhere they eliminated them.

Nice! Next time I go to one of the two neighboring cities that have these in stock at a Lowe's or The Home Depot I am going to pick one of these up. More of that "power of suggestion", again.

Last edited:
Mine are due to be delivered on Friday. Did yours come with the red vinyl grips? I read somewhere they eliminated them.
Mine has them just like the photo I linked. I can't imagine them getting rid of the textured vinyl grips; that's one of their popular features on these.

Nice! Next time I go to one of the two neighboring cities that have these in stock at a Lowe's or The Home Depot I am going to pick one of these up. More of that power of suggestion, again."
I know what you mean! ;) I didn't come up with this on my own; a recent thread mentioning these is to blame!

I have the 5”, 6”, and the 7.5”. They are handy and well made. They are not eliminating the plastic dipped handles. I would guess where that rumor came about is that the new Cobra Mini XS pliers come bare. They are probably too small to dip!

I have the 5”, 6”, and the 7.5”. They are handy and well made. They are not eliminating the plastic dipped handles. I would guess where that rumor came about is that the new Cobra Mini XS pliers come bare. They are probably too small to dip!

Most likely what I read/heard about and forgot which tool it was referring to.

Parallel jaw action and smooth jaws are perfect for hex and square fasteners, and the compound action gives AMAZING grip and smash power.
Thanks. The ones you have are considerably larger. I got the Cobras as an alternative to my Leatherman Wave pliers so I suspect they'll work fine for me considering I can't remember the last time I used my Leatherman's pliers... Just one more piece of gear I didn't really need. ;)

Thanks. The ones you have are considerably larger. I got the Cobras as an alternative to my Leatherman Wave pliers so I suspect they'll work fine for me considering I can't remember the last time I used my Leatherman's pliers... Just one more piece of gear I didn't really need. ;)
The ones I have look a lot bigger in the pic, but that's actually only one size up from yours (7"vs5")...they might even make the Plierwrench in a 5" size, I never looked.

It was tough for me to decide between the cobras or pliers-wrench. I went with the cobras because I keep an 8 inch adjustable wrench in my bag.
They're a million times better than an adjustable wrench, just trust me on that. No slipping, no trashed fasteners, and once you get the hang of them you can even get a "ratchet" type action going.

They're a million times better than an adjustable wrench, just trust me on that. No slipping, no trashed fasteners, and once you get the hang of them you can even get a "ratchet" type action going.
I've been debating it, but need to grab weird stuff from time to time as well. Maybe I'll get a larger pair to ride in the bag and keep the 5 inch cobras in my pocket. Thanks for your input, I'm always looking for new ways to lighten my wallet... :p

Back