Got the little locking Knipex Cobra wrench today

Check out the parallel jaw Plierwrench's from Knipex, they're even more amazing than the Cobras:eek::cool:

View attachment 1387300

these are the ones I want. Despite not having a true need for them I want them.
I’m pretty sure I own every size channellock they make; even the huge ones, which actually get used often. And I’ve got a few visegrip brand adjustables. But those knipex look sweet.

These are great pliers. I have the small medium and large pipe plier, as well as the med and LG flat jaw.

WValtakis WValtakis the flat jaws do work great for the ratcheting action. You just need to release tension on the handles on the back swing.

I like the large flat jaws for working on flush valves. They are way quicker than a spud wrench for adjusting to the different size nuts.

@Jack Knife, the only thing I have missed carrying mine is the wire cutters, and needle nose capability. My work around has been to stow a pair of those in my work bag, since it rides in the truck constantly. Currently it's a pair of knipex combo pliers, but I did have another pair of German made fishing pliers before that...159606479739046332243.jpg
For the record, I found the long needle nose pliers in the parking lot of my apartment complex in 2008 while still in college. The side cutters are road treasure dating back 2 years, but I just got those knipex combo ones on the bottom a couple weeks ago. In my experience, I have found that wire cutters aren't really an emergency tool, but one you know you'll need... Therefore I have relegated the heavier tool to my edc bag, and carry the 5 inch cobras in my lfp.

The price on these has really gone up recently. I only paid $34 a few months ago for mine. Now, they are $50!!

Yup. Here they are but almost twice the cost of the Cobra in the same size. Cool though.

81Sh7wqK6vL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I have the Knipex 125 Cobra in my bag, with them, a hex key and a SAK I retired my LM Charge from my bag. It's a far far better pliers, the cable cutters on the LM sucked anyway and although I do miss the needle nose pliers sometimes, it's not enough.

Yup. Here they are but almost twice the cost of the Cobra in the same size. Cool though.

81Sh7wqK6vL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

They are awesome. I carry either the 5 inch plier wrench or 5 inch cobras everyday along with my Victorinox Swisstool or Spirit.

I can’t live without them!

You fellas are making me a little envious with your Cobras. I went out of town yesterday to a gun shop to get some electronic hearing protection and stopped at a big box blue paint hardware/lumber yard store specifically to get a Cobra. Their website said "not available on-line only in stores" which is not unusual. I went in and looked and looked and looked. Finally an employee stopped by and asked if he could help? A very helpful fellow he looked where they should be at ... no can find. On to his inventory "gun" on his hip ... "hmmm, I don't seem to see it" and onto the nearest computer we go. No luck with the computer as it doesn't even list Knipex at all. It appears they are in the process of closing out all the Knipex inventory and replaced them with Irwin Tools version which have similar shaped and notched jaws, but, do not work the same. As I was leaving the store and heading home I felt little like mighty Casey striking out at the big game in Mudville and heading to the dugout. So a trip west next week will solve the problem at an orange big box hardware/lumber yard store that has them in stock in the store and on-line.

The real bonus in the excursion, however, are the electronic ear muffs! They not only stop the loud bang of a gun going off, they also amplify ambient noises such as your shooting buddy speaking to you and the birds in the forest and the footsteps of the creatures sneaking up on you trying to scare you half to death just to see you jump. Seeing as how the hearing aids at the clinic cost an arm, a leg and your first born child I can't wait to see the faces of my neighbors when I put on my new 23 db noise reduction hearing protection and they figure out I can hear them speaking better than without them. And they are about $4K cheaper than the official "hearing aids" on sale everywhere to fleece the senior citizens.

This thread and ones like it are all evidence that sometimes less is more, and you can wrap up too much into one tool.

I was never a fan of the original Leatherman tool when it fist campout, as it seemed to me to be a solution to a non existent problem. Yes, having a pliers in your EDC stuff is a handy thing to have on occasion. But...how often do you need a pliers/small wrench to hold the nut while you unscrew the screw on the other side? Too often in disassembling something, you need to have the pliers working with the screw driver. With he Leatherman tool that everyone was going nuts over in the 80's, you have every thing lumped into one unit, and all too often it was both inconvenient and too much of a lump.

Growing up in the aftermath of WW2, most of the adults in my life were vets of that conflict. One in particular was my Uncle Charlie. He was a young GI that got his feet wet on a beach in Normandy, and ended up walking most the way to Berlin. He was a commo guy, and did the field telephones and other commo equipment that was needed. He got issued a commo tool holster that was a leather holster for his belt that held one Camillus made TL-29 pocket knife and linemen pliers/wire cutters. All the way to Germany h set up, repaired, and maintained communications equipment with those tools. After the war when he went home and set about a 'normal' life with job and family and the house in the new phenomenon of the suburbs, he still carried that TL-29 in his pocket and very often a small pliers that were about the size of the little knives tool.

If I thought my dad was special for all the things he did with his little Case peanut and the P-38 and Sear's 4-way keychain screw driver, then Uncle Charlie was amazing for all he jury rigged, and fixed with his TL-29 and the little pliers in his pocket.

Sometimes a few small separate tools are better than one big lump. You cold go pretty far with a SAK pioneer and small pliers.

You fellas are making me a little envious with your Cobras. I went out of town yesterday to a gun shop to get some electronic hearing protection and stopped at a big box blue paint hardware/lumber yard store specifically to get a Cobra. Their website said "not available on-line only in stores" which is not unusual. I went in and looked and looked and looked. Finally an employee stopped by and asked if he could help? A very helpful fellow he looked where they should be at ... no can find. On to his inventory "gun" on his hip ... "hmmm, I don't seem to see it" and onto the nearest computer we go. No luck with the computer as it doesn't even list Knipex at all. It appears they are in the process of closing out all the Knipex inventory and replaced them with Irwin Tools version which have similar shaped and notched jaws, but, do not work the same. As I was leaving the store and heading home I felt little like mighty Casey striking out at the big game in Mudville and heading to the dugout. So a trip west next week will solve the problem at an orange big box hardware/lumber yard store that has them in stock in the store and on-line.

The real bonus in the excursion, however, are the electronic ear muffs! They not only stop the loud bang of a gun going off, they also amplify ambient noises such as your shooting buddy speaking to you and the birds in the forest and the footsteps of the creatures sneaking up on you trying to scare you half to death just to see you jump. Seeing as how the hearing aids at the clinic cost an arm, a leg and your first born child I can't wait to see the faces of my neighbors when I put on my new 23 db noise reduction hearing protection and they figure out I can hear them speaking better than without them. And they are about $4K cheaper than the official "hearing aids" on sale everywhere to fleece the senior citizens.
I have electronic muffs now after borrowing a pair last year. Why didn't I have these sooner? Great for the range if others are around. Great all by yourself as well.

My electronic muffs do volume control in 8 stages as well as bang suppression. They do nothing to adjust deficits in my hearing spectrum. My hearing aids boost the higher frequencies. The lower ones don’t need it. They also do noise suppression/cancellation. When I wear the muffs over my hearing aids, I can amplify or diminish sound over my entire hearing spectrum. I wear the muffs to concerts, noisy bars, road trips, flying, etc. I can dial the comfort level. When driving, I turn the sound down on the highway and up in town.

image.jpeg
This thread and ones like it are all evidence that sometimes less is more, and you can wrap up too much into one tool.

I was never a fan of the original Leatherman tool when it fist campout, as it seemed to me to be a solution to a non existent problem. Yes, having a pliers in your EDC stuff is a handy thing to have on occasion. But...how often do you need a pliers/small wrench to hold the nut while you unscrew the screw on the other side? Too often in disassembling something, you need to have the pliers working with the screw driver. With he Leatherman tool that everyone was going nuts over in the 80's, you have every thing lumped into one unit, and all too often it was both inconvenient and too much of a lump.

Growing up in the aftermath of WW2, most of the adults in my life were vets of that conflict. One in particular was my Uncle Charlie. He was a young GI that got his feet wet on a beach in Normandy, and ended up walking most the way to Berlin. He was a commo guy, and did the field telephones and other commo equipment that was needed. He got issued a commo tool holster that was a leather holster for his belt that held one Camillus made TL-29 pocket knife and linemen pliers/wire cutters. All the way to Germany h set up, repaired, and maintained communications equipment with those tools. After the war when he went home and set about a 'normal' life with job and family and the house in the new phenomenon of the suburbs, he still carried that TL-29 in his pocket and very often a small pliers that were about the size of the little knives tool.

If I thought my dad was special for all the things he did with his little Case peanut and the P-38 and Sear's 4-way keychain screw driver, then Uncle Charlie was amazing for all he jury rigged, and fixed with his TL-29 and the little pliers in his pocket.

Sometimes a few small separate tools are better than one big lump. You cold go pretty far with a SAK pioneer and small pliers.

The Spyderench has a pliers and a wrench. It comes apart so you can hold the nut while tightening the screw.image.jpeg

Back