Got the little locking Knipex Cobra wrench today

jackknife: One of my mom's brothers was in the Navy during WWII on a patrol craft in the Pacific. Their ship got half the credit for sinking a Japanese submarine that was used to ferry soldiers to their assigned islands in wait of the U.S.Navy * Marines island hopping their way towards Japan. The submarine they were helping out ran out of torpedoes. Don was one of the cooks on board and he always had a jack knife and a pliers in his pocket, a habit from his Navy days.

CSG: My little brother Bob introduced me to the electronic muffs about three years ago. We had a standing joke between us, who ever got to the range first would start picking up whatever fired brass was on the ground instead of standing around waiting for the other. Whichever one of us arrived second to the brass "gold mine" would be called a "claim jumper." Bob had his muffs on when I arrived and from nearly 30 yards away and I whispered, "Bob you old claim jumper." He said "I heard that!" It was one of a number of hearing tests we tried that day. I was still in my old truck with the window rolled down. I beat him to it that day. It sold me on them.

tiguy7: I have not even taken them out of the package yet. I don't know if they have smooth rotating volume control or if it is stepped or with a detente like so many volume controls are these days. Your power of suggestion is disguised as a Spiderwrench. hahaha! It looks interesting and useful. Another tool I have never seen before here on The Blade Forum! And in the form of a Mult-Tool no less!

rxavage: The short time I looked at the Irwin pliers I thought the the movable jaw lever could slide up and down the slot without pushing a locking pin in as the Knipex does. Locking the movable jaw is a real plus in my book.

Question for my fellow owners of the 5 inch Knipex Cobras: My Cobra's button has a tendency to get stuck after being depressed and I have to jiggle the handles to get it to disengage and "snap" open. Not every time but enough to be annoying.. Is this normal or if not is there a fix? I tried a little WD40 but perhaps not in the right place?

Thanks for any information on this!

I also have the 4 inch XS...Awesome when paired with a Super Tinker.

Question for my fellow owners of the 5 inch Knipex Cobras: My Cobra's button has a tendency to get stuck after being depressed and I have to jiggle the handles to get it to disengage and "snap" open. Not every time but enough to be annoying.. Is this normal or if not is there a fix? I tried a little WD40 but perhaps not in the right place?

There's just a teeny bit of stick in the full closed position on mine, probably due to the tight tolerances in the "adjustment teeth". I seem to recall similar with my other sizes and it went away with use/breakin.

Mine used to stick as well. Now I'm a year into them in my pocket and the stickyness is non-existent.

I had no idea that Knipex were at the Orange big box. Thanks to all for that education, off to the store tomorrow!

Growing up in the aftermath of WW2, most of the adults in my life were vets of that conflict. One in particular was my Uncle Charlie. He was a young GI that got his feet wet on a beach in Normandy, and ended up walking most the way to Berlin. He was a commo guy, and did the field telephones and other commo equipment that was needed. He got issued a commo tool holster that was a leather holster for his belt that held one Camillus made TL-29 pocket knife and linemen pliers/wire cutters. All the way to Germany h set up, repaired, and maintained communications equipment with those tools. After the war when he went home and set about a 'normal' life with job and family and the house in the new phenomenon of the suburbs, he still carried that TL-29 in his pocket and very often a small pliers that were about the size of the little knives tool.

If I thought my dad was special for all the things he did with his little Case peanut and the P-38 and Sear's 4-way keychain screw driver, then Uncle Charlie was amazing for all he jury rigged, and fixed with his TL-29 and the little pliers in his pocket.

Sometimes a few small separate tools are better than one big lump. You cold go pretty far with a SAK pioneer and small pliers.

My dad was a combat engineer with the 246th Engineer Combat Battalion who landed at Omaha Beach. His TL-29 is one of my most prized possessions.

Back