1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Great Eastern 38s Farmers Jack

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by glocktenman, Jul 30, 2016.

1. glocktenman

glocktenman Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Lyle, that seems like a silly question I asked now that I've seen all the examples with the bar shield.

I think the Schrade (made for Peter Henderson Co NY) is the one that closely resembles the frame and bolsters of the 38s. The H A Dreer bar shield is the one that closely resembles the location of the bar shield on the 38s although its a bit thinner on the 38s. Cool stuff!

Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
  2. PNWJimbo

PNWJimbo

Sep 29, 2015
    Thanks man, I've thought about returning it twice but everytime I get that wood in my hands... Nope. It's a keeper :D

3. glocktenman

Jul 20, 2008
    I also received Jamie's 38 in the mail. Thanks a bunch for allowing me some hands-on time with it. The jigged bone handles and the blade pinch were the first two things I noticed. The blue is very deep and jigging is excellent. Report to follow in a week.

4. SubSpace

SubSpace

May 26, 2011
    [​IMG][/IMG]

I was lucky enough to have purchased the last of this antique yellow from Lyle himself at this year's Rendezvous. After witnessing his passion for this pattern first hand, I could not help but bring one home with me. Looks like a hundred year old knife. In a good way.

5. pmek5

pmek5 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 27, 2007
    Wonderful pic & knife Subspace. Congrats

6. btb01

btb01 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 26, 2008
    It's amazing what this sub-forum can do to you. :D

This is one of those patterns that I never thought I would have any interest in. Mostly because of the pruning blade; wasn't sure what use I'd have for it, and didn't know how I would sharpen it. But, reading this thread and others about the pattern, my feelings about it have slowly changed (and my concerns addressed by those of you who use these knives regularly), and now I'm considering picking one up. :rolleyes:

Wish I would've had this change of heart back when these were available:

Or these:

At least, unlike many other GEC models, there area still some available (in micarta, and a few in the dark blue jigged bone, it seems); they don't appeal to me quite as much as those above, but I think I may still have to pick one up. :D

7. Half/Stop

Half/Stop Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 25, 2014
    This Gem is one of my favorites :)

[​IMG]

8. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    Ron Some years ago I started getting fixated with these knives due to Lyle's connoisseurship and scholarship with regard to the pattern. He ignited my interest but also set off a kind of desperation: being in Europe it seemed these rare knives were just beyond my reach, ever:eek: I was more than pleased when Lyle, Charlie and GEC managed to produce the 38 frame. I use an Amber Bone LC most days and I'm really pleased with the brass lined Tidioute Camel Bone version as well. There is no dud in this line-up at all, a beautiful knife that makes a beautiful user and collection item. You can't do better than that:thumbup::thumbup:

Thanks, Will

9. pmek5

pmek5 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 27, 2007
    This is a real Gem. Shoutout to Shaggy for making this possible.

[​IMG]

10. wlfryjr

wlfryjr Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Randy, the pruning blade also more closely resembles a traditional Schrade pruning blade. The one on the Peter Henderson is a vary from their normal pruner, I call it a more robust blade on that rooster comb.

Schrade actually made 4 variations of the farmers jacks,5 if you count the last black composition handled ones. 7 if you count the different stampings; Cut Co., Schrade Walden,and Schrade Walden USA.

All in chronological order,as the 2nd,3rd,and 4th seemed simultaneous.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. wlfryjr

Oct 20, 2011
    Lovely photos and background Subspace and PmEK..Glad you all got them; passion is infectious. I grin

Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
  12. paulhilborn

paulhilborn Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 22, 2006
    WOW, just wonderful pictures Lyle!!! I'd love to see your collection. I hope you'll be at next year's rendezvous again as Duncan and I will be attending. Would love to see them if your there again.

13. Half/Stop

Half/Stop Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 25, 2014
    Will - I totally agree with you. Every time I drop this knife in my pocket I become more of a fan. It is quite a treat to see Lyles collection of these beautiful knives in person. And an even grander treat to sit and talk with Lyle, his love and knowledge of these knives is incredible.:D

14. Shaggy

Shaggy

Jan 30, 2012
    Looking good, Tim.:thumbup:

15. glocktenman

Jul 20, 2008
    Lyle,

You're 38's pruning blade definitely resembles a traditional Schrade pruning blade. I noticed some of the others with the rooster comb style pruner and didn't even think about that comparison. I think I was distracted by the jigged bone! LOL.

16. glocktenman

Jul 20, 2008
    Jamie's 38 is an awesome carry. It seems to disappear in your pocket. Now normally that wouldn't be a problem but I'm carrying someone else's knife and I've have a few small panic attacks when I didn't notice it initially. I was, however, relieved several times by reaching in my pocket and grabbing it! It's very sharp - Great job Jamie! I've only use it a few time to cut anything but it's like a hawk bill razor. I'm going to carry & use it a few more days.

17. glocktenman

Jul 20, 2008
    Well, the 38 is about to get shipped back to Jamie. I've really enjoyed it. The handle fits in my hand so well and there's not much you can't accomplish with both blades. I'm totally convinced and more motivated to get one now.

18. wlfryjr

Oct 20, 2011
    Really nice gesture Jamie.

Thanks for all the wonderful comments and your patronage Subspace. I should have photographed everyone and captioned,so I could rehearse to remember.

I have a few new ones to post in the rooster thread,when I get around to it.

19. wlfryjr

Oct 20, 2011
    I hope to be there Paul, it is one of the highlights of my year.

20. blademan 13

blademan 13 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 25, 2000
    Randy, glad you liked handling the #38. It really is a useful blade configuration that I feel really needs to be used to be appreciated.

Lyle, thanks for the kind words. A few more Farmer Jack converts, one at a time.... ;)