Great Eastern 38s Farmers Jack

Lyle, that seems like a silly question I asked now that I've seen all the examples with the bar shield.

I think the Schrade (made for Peter Henderson Co NY) is the one that closely resembles the frame and bolsters of the 38s. The H A Dreer bar shield is the one that closely resembles the location of the bar shield on the 38s although its a bit thinner on the 38s. Cool stuff!

Last edited:
I also received Jamie's 38 in the mail. Thanks a bunch for allowing me some hands-on time with it. The jigged bone handles and the blade pinch were the first two things I noticed. The blue is very deep and jigging is excellent. Report to follow in a week.

IMG_3500_zpsfvnmoiu1.jpg
[/IMG]

I was lucky enough to have purchased the last of this antique yellow from Lyle himself at this year's Rendezvous. After witnessing his passion for this pattern first hand, I could not help but bring one home with me. Looks like a hundred year old knife. In a good way.

It's amazing what this sub-forum can do to you. :D

This is one of those patterns that I never thought I would have any interest in. Mostly because of the pruning blade; wasn't sure what use I'd have for it, and didn't know how I would sharpen it. But, reading this thread and others about the pattern, my feelings about it have slowly changed (and my concerns addressed by those of you who use these knives regularly), and now I'm considering picking one up. :rolleyes:

Wish I would've had this change of heart back when these were available:

Or these:

At least, unlike many other GEC models, there area still some available (in micarta, and a few in the dark blue jigged bone, it seems); they don't appeal to me quite as much as those above, but I think I may still have to pick one up. :D

Ron Some years ago I started getting fixated with these knives due to Lyle's connoisseurship and scholarship with regard to the pattern. He ignited my interest but also set off a kind of desperation: being in Europe it seemed these rare knives were just beyond my reach, ever:eek: I was more than pleased when Lyle, Charlie and GEC managed to produce the 38 frame. I use an Amber Bone LC most days and I'm really pleased with the brass lined Tidioute Camel Bone version as well. There is no dud in this line-up at all, a beautiful knife that makes a beautiful user and collection item. You can't do better than that:thumbup::thumbup:

Thanks, Will

This is a real Gem. Shoutout to Shaggy for making this possible.

Randy, the pruning blade also more closely resembles a traditional Schrade pruning blade. The one on the Peter Henderson is a vary from their normal pruner, I call it a more robust blade on that rooster comb.

Schrade actually made 4 variations of the farmers jacks,5 if you count the last black composition handled ones. 7 if you count the different stampings; Cut Co., Schrade Walden,and Schrade Walden USA.

All in chronological order,as the 2nd,3rd,and 4th seemed simultaneous.

Eea3HE9.jpg

pC526a4.jpg

IJ9zvxQ.jpg

LRtr6Os.jpg

jGqkpQK.jpg

9irTYys.jpg

hgYt0Yt.jpg

Lovely photos and background Subspace and PmEK..Glad you all got them; passion is infectious. I grin

Last edited:
WOW, just wonderful pictures Lyle!!! I'd love to see your collection. I hope you'll be at next year's rendezvous again as Duncan and I will be attending. Would love to see them if your there again.

......... There is no dud in this line-up at all, a beautiful knife that makes a beautiful user and collection item. You can't do better than that:thumbup::thumbup:

Thanks, Will

Will - I totally agree with you. Every time I drop this knife in my pocket I become more of a fan. It is quite a treat to see Lyles collection of these beautiful knives in person. And an even grander treat to sit and talk with Lyle, his love and knowledge of these knives is incredible.:D

Lyle,

You're 38's pruning blade definitely resembles a traditional Schrade pruning blade. I noticed some of the others with the rooster comb style pruner and didn't even think about that comparison. I think I was distracted by the jigged bone! LOL.

Jamie's 38 is an awesome carry. It seems to disappear in your pocket. Now normally that wouldn't be a problem but I'm carrying someone else's knife and I've have a few small panic attacks when I didn't notice it initially. I was, however, relieved several times by reaching in my pocket and grabbing it! It's very sharp - Great job Jamie! I've only use it a few time to cut anything but it's like a hawk bill razor. I'm going to carry & use it a few more days.

Well, the 38 is about to get shipped back to Jamie. I've really enjoyed it. The handle fits in my hand so well and there's not much you can't accomplish with both blades. I'm totally convinced and more motivated to get one now.

Really nice gesture Jamie.

Thanks for all the wonderful comments and your patronage Subspace. I should have photographed everyone and captioned,so I could rehearse to remember.

I have a few new ones to post in the rooster thread,when I get around to it.

I hope to be there Paul, it is one of the highlights of my year.

Well, the 38 is about to get shipped back to Jamie. I've really enjoyed it. The handle fits in my hand so well and there's not much you can't accomplish with both blades. I'm totally convinced and more motivated to get one now.

Randy, glad you liked handling the #38. It really is a useful blade configuration that I feel really needs to be used to be appreciated.

Lyle, thanks for the kind words. A few more Farmer Jack converts, one at a time.... ;)

Back