• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Grinder in a box! DIY grinder kit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody have a photo of the "multi platen" setup with the platen attached? I see the multi platen with two different size wheels in a couple configurations, but no platen to grind against.

I am leaning towards the multi platen option.....

I have the multi platen set up, but I am still waiting for my VFD and I need to buy a couple more bolts to mount my tool rest so not everything is together right now. I will but together the parts I have and take a picture for you tomorrow. Any angle you would like to see in particular?

Thank you unky_gumbi, but don't get in any rush on my end. Just a couple photos of the setup.

I am on the fence, this is going to be my first "big boy" grinder - just want to get the purchase right the first time :D

I had a gallery of completed grinders before I rearranged my website, and forgot to put it back in. I'll do that here shortly. In the meantime, if you go to the completed grinder page, you will see some that are finished with the multiplaten.

Jamie

Hey Lustrum. Any chance you could post a link of what that machine bushing looks like and where we could find those for the wheels?

Thank you unky_gumbi, but don't get in any rush on my end. Just a couple photos of the setup.

I am on the fence, this is going to be my first "big boy" grinder - just want to get the purchase right the first time :D

Sorry I have gotten tied up with an knife order, trying to find handle material that suits the customers needs. If you still want to see the pictures I hope to get them up this evening. I also get to do my electrical tomorrow and order my VFD So it looks like I will be up and running early February:D

Ignore the mess around the grinder, it isn't up and running yet, I still have to get a VFD.
But here are the pictures of my platen set up and tool rest

DSC02250.jpg

DSC02249.jpg

DSC02248.jpg

DSC02247.jpg

DSC02246.jpg

DSC02245.jpg

I'm hoping to place my order here in the next couple days, I'm excited!

Hey Jamie, if we want both platens how much extra will that be? I don't know what all you can fit into the shipping boxes or how big they are... Anyway, I am definitely interested in going with both platens and I was just wondering what the additional cost would be.

Thanks!

The additional platen is $20. Since the base kit comes with one platen style, it would be $270 plus $10.50 shipping. It still fits in one box (within the US, internationally it actually spills into a fourth box).

I did have to raise my shipping cost. The post office raised their prices, so I had to add $.30 to the shipping.

Jamie

Awesome, thanks for answering my question so quick! I wasn't sure if it would all fit in the same box or not... Like a little kid waiting for Christmas, I can't wait to place my order! (I'm hoping everything will clear by Friday but it's out of my hands...)

Hey Lustrum. Any chance you could post a link of what that machine bushing looks like and where we could find those for the wheels?

I did not end up using a bushing. Instead I found bolts with a shoulder that matched the thickness of each contact wheel and used washers and nuts to hold the wheel in place, where it has maybe a 1/32" or .050" of play. This allows the wheels to rotate freely but not wobble. It therefore eliminates friction and heat.

I would take a pic but I am moving out of state right now and everything is being packed.

lustrum

Hey Jamie, finally ready to order the kit! What's your preferred form of payment? On the first post you said you were only set up for CC; is that through paypal or over the phone? let me know Brother!

Credit card is my preferred method. I'll send an invoice (yours was just sent) with a secure link to enter credit card information.

Jamie

I know this thread is almost a year old but I just got my package today so I'm gonna post some more! I came home for lunch and pulled up right as the mailman drove up. He usually walks his route so I was hoping he had the GIB but since Jamie got it in the mail on Saturday I figured there was no way it would be here so quick; I was wrong. The mailman carried it up to the house and said, "for the love I hope this is a one-time purchase and not a recurring one!" The box weighed in at 60lbs so I don't blame him!

If any of you are worried about Jamie shipping this to you, don't! Jamie's packaging is better than anything I would have come up with! Enough talk, here's some pics:

IMG_20110214_150931.jpg

IMG_20110214_151142.jpg

IMG_20110214_151228.jpg

IMG_20110214_151536.jpg

The plywood box held everything very nicely, all the cuts look great! I'm excited to get rolling on this! It's probably going to take a minute, I have quite a few exams this week and national boards coming up soon so my time in the shop is quite limited.

Thanks again, Jamie!

Coming to Canada it comes in 3 boxes, not quite the same set up for packaging but more than good enough to make it to us all in piece. Mind you I didn't get the spacer, but thats ok I was able to make my own.

Every now and them I throw a belt on it and just spin the wheels to watch everything move:eek: I can't wait to get my VFD and have it run under its own power

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back