• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Grinder in a box! DIY grinder kit

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a stupid question about mounting the motor. I just bought a used 2HP 56c motor but it doesn't have a base mount. Do I need one? If I do, do you know where I can get it?

A base mount is not required. You can mount the motor with only the face mount.

Jamie

Wow, that's something I'm really glad to know.

Any list of other motor frames besides the 56C (various other C-mounts obviously), that work with minimal or no mods would be really advantageous.

Cheers!

I would recommend welding the main vertical piece if using face mount only ( as Jamie mentioned in post 62) or you could add some bolt on bracing. I received my face mount only Baldor motor tonight. Planning to weld my main upright. I imagine, as far as c-face, the only style that would work will be 56c. These are really easy to find. i found my new in box Baldor 1.5hp,3 phase, 3600rpm for $120 with free shipping from eBay.

I finally got my grinder up and running over the weekend. Since my motor is single speed I decided to add an alternate power supply for slightly slower speeds (picture 3).

Keith

Attachments

• Grinder1a.jpg
    Grinder1a.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 172
  • grinder2a.jpg
    grinder2a.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 168
  • Grinder3a.jpg
    Grinder3a.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 194
Started working on mine this week. Received the GIB on Monday. Motor and VFD on Wednesday. Here is what I have done so far.

Finished making my grinder stand.
Bench grinder on one side, GIB on the other.
grinder002.jpg

grinder004.jpg

Been working on the top tensioning/tracking arm
grinder007.jpg

came up with this trick. It allows me to hold my tap perfectly perpendicular to the work piece. It is just a heavy nut welded to a extra thick fender washer.
grinder008.jpg

Is there any progress alanjeep?

Also, on the multi platen, is it possible to use a 10 or 12 inch contact wheel instead of an 8 inch wheel.

Thanks,
Tim

Not sure about the wheel size on the multi platen. Might want to make a seperate tool arm for a 10-12 inch wheel. :confused:
Made a lot of mechanical progress today.
The Green bar in the pic is just temporary. going to order 18" of 1.5x1.5" solid steel for my tooling arm.
grinder002-1.jpg

grinder001.jpg

grinder004-1.jpg

Tim,
just took some measurements of the multi platen. The center pivot hole for the 1/2" bolt (mount hole for tool arm) to the center of the large wheel 1/2" bolt mount is 5.5"
So I think a 10" wheel would just barely fit, but it is going to cover one of the platen holes that is used for the belt rest/platen. It might be possible to drill a second hole on the small wheel side though.
In the current form, I don't see a 12" wheel working.
My wheel sizes are 2" and 6".
Alan

Ok guys. I need a bit of help. My grinder keeps throwing belts. My belts are riding too far right of my tracking wheel or my tracking wheel is too far left of my belts. Take your pick. Is that what it looks like to you? Tonight I'm going to add some spacers (washers) between the main upright and the tracking arm to see if that corrects it.

Attachments

• grinder13.jpg
    grinder13.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 138
Something definitely looks off there. You need to have all the wheels in line for everything to work right. Of the 4 wheels there will be one that will be your fixed position, for me it was my drive wheel. From there I found a fixed parallel ace to line the center of each wheel up to. I used machine bushing as spacers because they are more consistent and came in varying thickness to get me with in .01 mm of the drive wheel center line on all the others wheels

Finished the wiring tonight. My EV series Teco VFD seems to run great. Only had to change 2 parameters and add 5 input wires.
grinder001-1.jpg

grinder003.jpg

I've missed a few of these posts, and have a few comments.

First off, nice builds! A couple things I really like. The hamster on the side of the wheel, that made me laugh. I may have to do that.

I like the nut/washer combo to help keep things square.

Mounting the spring to the table is different, I haven't seen or thought of that before. I like it.

That's a very spiff vfd! It almost makes me want to set on up that way, too.

Jamie

Finished my platen and work rest today. All the metal was used, so it was ran through the sandblaster.
grinder006.jpg

welded a piece of .100" 304ss to the above picture. The large holes are for the tack welds.
grinder008-1.jpg

grinder009.jpg

Excellent job! Clean as a whistle! Your picture set just convinced me to order a kit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back