Grinder plans

For those not here long enough, Kevin drew up some great plans. Then he improved them. He put them in CAD and other formats. And then instead of selling them gave them to anyone wanting to build a super grinder. Once again, kudos to Kevin for being a great guy.

Kevin, I will be up in Carol County in early September. I would love to get together for a short visit. You will only be an hour away. If not, maybe we can get together in the late fall for a visit. We had some fun at Ashokan years back. I am not going this year but seriously plan on it next year.

Kevin, I couldn't find your email in my lists. Please send me an email at sapelt@cox.net

Took your .dxf files, sent them to my laser guy... he said he couldn't cut that small of a hole in .5" material with the laser. Said the rule of thumb was that it wouldn't cut a smaller diameter than the material thickness. (I'm a wood guy, we have a cnc router, but I still don't understand the lasers.) So I took them and edited them to be made from .25" material and put together with knotches instead of the spacers and through bolts, for more of a weld together design. If it all works out, ill gladly post the .dxf files in here as well incase anyone else wants them. The only issue I can see now, is the hinge design for the tracking wheel, since I wont be able to use a through bolt there with .25" stock. So ill have to figure that out.

You guys let me know if you think I'm over looking some other potential problems

Took your .dxf files, sent them to my laser guy... he said he couldn't cut that small of a hole in .5" material with the laser. Said the rule of thumb was that it wouldn't cut a smaller diameter than the material thickness. (I'm a wood guy, we have a cnc router, but I still don't understand the lasers.) So I took them and edited them to be made from .25" material and put together with knotches instead of the spacers and through bolts, for more of a weld together design. If it all works out, ill gladly post the .dxf files in here as well incase anyone else wants them. The only issue I can see now, is the hinge design for the tracking wheel, since I wont be able to use a through bolt there with .25" stock. So ill have to figure that out.

You guys let me know if you think I'm over looking some other potential problems
I think I used 3/8" plate. Mine was cut on a water jet. The holes were slightly undersized (on purpose, I wanted them for location only) just needed a clean up with the correct drill size for the tap.

Hey Stacy. Is your shop finished?
Not fully. The clean shop is OK, but a little untidy with boxes of jewelry supplies and tools I brought home from the store and inherited from a fellow.
The hot shop and upstairs storage are a mess of boxes and stacks of tools. I am still trying to get the grinding room equipment installed and clean the place up. Every time I make some progress I end up bringing in more new stuff that I have to sort through and decide where to put. In the past two years I must have inherited or received $20,000 or more in tools and supplies from various sources and people. Overwhelming in the matter of where to put it all, but far too good a deal to pass up on.
My semi-retirement is up in four weeks and I am done at the jewelry store. I will be able to be out in the shop every day, so I am shooting to have it fully running by years end.
My old shop is where I do grinding in the meantime. Once the new shop is fully functional, I will rebuild the old shop as a forging and welding shop with some extra storage space. That may come sooner if I have to get stuff out of the new shop to get things done. One of the hinderances in the new shop is all the welding equipment and future welding projects are in the way.
Once I sort all the tools and surplus/redundant equipment and supplies I will hold the "mother of all yard sales for men who like tools". I'll let you and the other chaps here know. It may be worth the drive for folks. I have a lot of tools and supplies I will give away to folks who need them.

Hey friend, thank you for such a beautiful and detailed drawing, but my question is why are there no measurements on the drawings...?

A ali israel , the drawings are intended for use in the CAD systems that interface with waterjet, CNC plasma cutter etc. The measurements are embedded in the document.

Hi, I wanted to ask about the specifications on the gas shock absorber, I purchased the 80 L one but it seems very hard to manage. How many L have you used?

I think the one I been put on mine was either 60 or 80lbs... I'd check, but I gave that grinder away...

Last edited:

This is awesome! By chance do you have the .dxf files? I was thinking of going this route and sending the file to sendcutsend. Just figured the specs would be completely off. Just wondering if you got it figured out
I think I used 3/8" plate. Mine was cut on a water jet. The holes were slightly undersized (on purpose, I wanted them for location only) just needed a clean up with the correct drill size for the tap.
So we can use 3/8" plate over the 1/2" plate? If going that route would things line up as it should and not throw off the specs?

Welcome kOOlaid83. Fill out your profile so we know where you live and a bit about you.

I believe the DXF files are in the first post page one.

Back