GTA (Afghanistan) -- courtesy a caring forumite.

Pappy,
For a man to give up, not one, but two, of his beloved Khukris so my guys will go well armed is humbling enough. I can't ask you to drive all the way up here to deliver 'em. I'm on leave this coming week getting my personal affairs in order, so I'd like to come get 'em. I've got some things to pick up down in Austin anyhow, and besides that I'd like to check out those WWIIs you just got. My brother just bought a WWII (HI?) villager, and swears it's the ultimate khukri.
HIKV catches on quick. One of my guys took one look at my 20" Sirupati and ordered himself an 18" Sirupati. The next day he told me his father and uncle were both ordering HI Khuks. I'm hoping as we get more and more of 'em out in the field, they'll catch on in popularity and a whole new crop of khukri nuts will spring up. Not that I'd ever imply that anybody who loves big, wicked, curved, heavy bladed, knives, is a nut.

Sarge

Sarge,
Please give me a call - (512) 453-0449. If you're going to be in Austin this week, I have a few knives that ought to be in 'Stan.
Berk

Sarge,I wouldn't be useing that much gas on the motorcycle. You don't need to come to where I am to get the blades. I'll meet you some where in Austin. I'll bring the WW11's with me. I'm sure they won't disappoint anybody.:D

Sounds like HIKV is becoming epidemic, but I only bought three my first week, so what would I know about it?

So there, Tsimi:p

Pappy and Berk,
Are you familiar with the Dog and Duck Pub? It's on 17th Street downtown. I don't go to Austin without stopping in for a pint of Guinness at the Dog and Duck. Might be a good place for us to meet, but I'm wide open to suggestions. Also, does Thursday sound okay?

Sarge

Sarge,
I'm up for a Black & Tan at the Dog & Duck, or a Shiner Bock at the Texas Chili Parlor.:D Email your schedule - Thursday's OK by me.
Berk

I'll look them places up. I have lived out in the country for the last 22 years. So I don't know much about down town Austin. I'll check the phone book and then my city map so I have an idea where I'm going. I need to know an ETA so I can start out early enough.

Pappy and Berk,
Dog and Duck it is, first round's on me. Time Thursday? I'm thinking 1 PM, tail end of lunch rush hour, and plenty of time for Pappy to get out of dodge safely on his motorcycle before the afternoon rush hour. Not that Austin has a traffic problem................
No need for maps and such Pappy, the Dog and Duck is near the capitol bldg. Use that as your steering point to get in the vicinity, head west on 17th street, the Dog and Duck's on the right hand side.
Black and Tans? If the English and the Irish could get along as mellow as Guinness and Bass, it'd be a much nicer world.

Sarge

I'll find that place and 1.00PM sounds good to me.
Do thery have a parking problem like the rest of Austin. I shouldn't have much of a problem but, that seems to be the biggest complaint I hear about anywhere near down town.

You're right about downtown Austin Pappy, but the Dog and Duck has it's own parking lot. I've never had any trouble finding a spot to park there.

Sarge

Not that Austin has a traffic problem................
Will be there with a car parked somewhere nearby with recycled Indian truck springs in the trunk for use in Afghani crowd control
:)

Uh...I guess all you folks aleady knew this, but for anyone who doesn't, those forward air traffic controllers hike in to enemy territory, or are dropped in, and in the company of various Rangers or Marines they send the bad hardware to the right places. You have o be very smart and very good and in very good shape to do this.
(Fox news did a blurb on them a couple months ago, is how I knew.)

munk

Thanks for the good words Munk, they are indeed some exceptional young men, and I feel privileged to serve with them.
An interesting side note from the folks already over there, seems they haven't been sitting idly around camp. They've been working, among other things, to get a local school back up and running. The Afghan villagers are overwhelmed to see armed people in uniforms giving instead of taking, and the Afghan kids just adore 'em. I hope to get in on some of that kind of work. It sends the right message, we Americans don't hate anybody except those who by their deeds have given us cause.
As for the young firebreathers I'm going over there with, don't worry about 'em getting in trouble with their first sergeant for carrying Khukris. I'll be their first sergeant on this trip, and as far as I'm concerned they can carry any edged weapon they like, as long as they treat it with the proper respect a weapon deserves.

Sarge

gosh...I feel kinda left out...;)

Hope y'all have a good time.

Pen, I guess if you started right now you could make it by 1:00 PM Thursday. Tee Hee. If not i'll sip part of mine for you.:D

Thanks Pappy. ;)

There's a good chance I'll be driving from MD to UT in mid July. 2050 miles each way. 2 screaming kids in the back seat.

Ouch! :eek:

Give my regards to Salt Lake's new freeway lanes and same old speedsters roaring 100 mph to make an extra 20 feet by the time they hit the exit 2 miles away....

munk

Originally posted by munk
Give my regards to Salt Lake's new freeway lanes and same old speedsters roaring 100 mph to make an extra 20 feet by the time they hit the exit 2 miles away....

LOL!!:D:D

spoken like someone who's been there, done that!

I just wanted to get on here and tell the caring formite thank you for the khukri. I just got it in the mail today. It's awesome. Thanks. My only regret is i didnt bring one with me.
I was out on a op, when i saw some lads with them. They told me they got theirs at jungle school, from the Ghurkas.
I am really humbled by this kind gesture. I have never given a stranger something so nice. Thank you! Its an honor to be here. Its an honor to serve with someone like Sarge. He is a true leader. I am very thankful for the support we have here. I know Vets in past wars, havent had anywhere near the amount of support we have. I thank them for the courage and sacrifice. We wouldnt be where we are today without them. Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers.
God Bless
God Bless America
Wheels

Welcome to the Cantina Wheels,
I'm sure you already know they're a great bunch of guys here. What do you think of that Kumar Kobra? Must have been some mail call huh? Don't let "Ranger Tim" fiddle with it unless one of the combat lifesavers is handy. Just kidding, but he probably is green with envy. No sweat, I'll put the smile back on his face when I get there, he can have my 20" Sirupati. He's big enough to swing it, let's just hope he's coordinated enough not to knee cap himself ;-)

Y'all keep your butts down and I'll see you soon,
Sarge

Back