Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Hello all! Happy to have found this thread, even if it was nearly 1500 pages in already. Hah. Anyway I guess it’s a testament to the popularity of such an awesome style of knife! I just received a new A. Wright today in the mail and figured I’d post it as a formal request to join the club!

Last edited:
View attachment 1184677

Good evening. I spent the day at the beach fishing. I am worn out! Hope everyone is having a great weekend so far.

Hope you had a great day Jon :) :thumbsup:

Thanks Jack.:)
Funny that happened today! I would have happily bought 3 pairs as well! In fact, I did the same thing when I found they were not going to make my favorites anymore. Having just bought a new pair, I ordered the only 2 more pairs, I found online, right away. (a steep discount over the stores) That was about 7 years ago...I'm on my last pair!!:eek:
Can I ask what size you wear? Me - 12 US

mQxqWZb.jpg

My first pair of Merrells were a boot sent to me by the company when I was a gear tester back in the early to mid 1990's. I was impressed by their fit and comfort, but like a lot of outdoor clothing back then, the colours were awful - grey, with pink and turquoise! :eek: :D These are the Ridgepass Bolt, and they were less than $30 a pair, which is really very inexpensive here, they are normally around $100. There was just one size though - US 12.5, which the retailer listed as a UK 12. That's the size I normally get for boots, but for trainers or shoes I normally go a size down. However, I know footwear sizes can vary massively, so at that price, I thought I would give it a shot. I ordered a pair online to be picked up in the store, so I could try them on, and as they fitted perfectly, I immediately ordered two more pairs. I'd have bought more if they'd had anymore left! :D Couldn't be more pleased with them :) :thumbsup:

Great pic Mark :) :thumbsup:

I am loving the steel bolster, but it's makes my knives with nickel bolsters look brassy.:(
AKN8jGO.jpg

You guys have Carnival at the end of August? o_O Isn't that supposed to be a pre-Lenten, Springtime party? Anyway, I know how you feel. It seems there's some sort of festival every single weekend in Austin. (this weekend: Bat-fest)
The good news, after 19 consecutive days with high temperatures above 100, there's a sprinkle of rain. Hopefully enough to cool things down tonight, not just make sidewalk steam.

My best wishes during this difficult time.

Yeah, nickel is almost entirely brass! :D Those bolsters are looking good Rachel :) :thumbsup:

I guess they must have picked the date for the bank holiday, as they later did the larger Notting Hill Carnival , but it probably rains two years out of three! o_O :rolleyes: People come from all over the country to it, but it is several years since I've even walked to the bottom of my road for it, as it is very crowded, and once you've seen the parade a few times you've seen it. Hope the young 'uns have a nice time though :) With those temperatures, you must be glad of that rain Rachel :) :thumbsup:

Enjoy your holiday, Jack.
Your HHB is looking happy to be able to escape the crowds with you.

I used the HHB tin to put together a emergency survival kit. ;):D
48614434437_ce53acead4_h.jpg

@Half/Stop Smoke and prayers from the FBC family, Ron.

Thanks pal, that's a great survival kit! :D :thumbsup:

Will there be a separate thread, or is this staying in the Guardians thread?

I think it'll be OK here Vince :) :thumbsup:

Double Desirable, Jack!;)
Love the funny!:D:thumbsup:

A Lambsfoot in the pocket and a hike just seem to go hand in hand!:cool::thumbsup:

More wonderful reports from your grand walk, Jack!:cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I don't blame you! I don't tolerate crowds at all!:mad: Hope you found peace during your journey!:thumbsup:

I carry a Lambsfoot because...carrying a sword would be just silly!:D
View attachment 1184712

Thanks a lot Dennis, I had a very nice walk, and it was quiet and peaceful in the woods :) Great pic my friend :) :thumbsup:

I wonder how many were made? Ultra rare and valuable I'm sure. :D

Just ten :) I don't know about valuable, but certainly rare :D :thumbsup:

Hello all! Happy to have found this thread, even if it was nearly 1500 pages in already. Hah. Anyway I guess it’s a testament to the popularity of such an awesome style of knife! I just received a new A. Wright today in the mail and figured I’d post it as a formal request to join the club!

Welcome to The Guardians! :) Congratulations on your new Lambsfoot, great to have you here :thumbsup:

View attachment 1184837 I don’t know if peach pie is the best way to start off the day but it was so good last night I couldn’t resist this morning. I guess I have no self control

I don't blame you Al, I couldn't resist that either, it looks delicious :) I have just been out picking blackberries in my garden, been a great crop this year, think I got about another 3lb, and there's plenty more :) It's pretty hot outside for here. I decided I better retire indoors for my Sunday Sausage Sandwich ;) :D :thumbsup:

iRZoHDY.jpg

I don't blame you Al, I couldn't resist that either, it looks delicious :) I have just been out picking blackberries in my garden, been a great crop this year, think I got about another 3lb, and there's plenty more :) It's pretty hot outside for here. I decided I better retire indoors for my Sunday Sausage Sandwich ;) :D :thumbsup:

iRZoHDY.jpg
Better eat it before that pirate does! He sure looks like he's ready to take a bite.

36039198833_bb834a6ff1.jpg

Good Morning Guardians
I've been so busy lately that I haven't had time to do any proper multi-quoting.
I moved my younger son to college and we've started to clear out some of the rooms for our remodeling project.
The next month will be even more busy with moving my other son to college and moving everything out of the house.
But believe I will still be here every day checking out the fine Lambsfoot pictures and participating whenever I can find time.

Going to carry my Rosewood today...

Ron, I hope you’re feeling better, my friend. My thoughts are with you and Pam, and your brother-in-law.

Welcome back, Chin! It’s good to have you back, my friend. I missed quoting this yesterday, but you make an excellent point, as usual. :thumbsup:I
Thanks! My Thai chilis are ready to harvest, so I hope to try your harissa recipe soon. With lambsfoot participation, of course! :)

Cheers Greg, looking forward to it, my friend.:thumbsup:

(I have an excellent Thai Sweet Chilli sauce recipe, if you’d like, as well?);)

Well, if the International Order of Guardians were ever able to have a BBQ/bring a plate potluck, rendezvous meeting, it would be quite the feast of tasty world cuisine, I’m sure.:D

And that’s not even including all the primo beverages that would be getting shared around!;)

I was chuckling this morning, thinking of which Guardians would be assigned to which duties.:D

I won’t go through the mental list I generated, in case I leave anyone out, but suffice to say, we’d have the booze, food, BBQ duties, condiments and desserts, and even postprandial cigars well covered!

Well, we can dream!

Hope you had a great hike Chin, looks beautiful mate :) :thumbsup:

Yes it was a fine hike, thanks Jack. One of those bright, sunny days with a clear, stiff breeze out of a blue sky, blowing away those ol’ cobwebs of winter.:thumbsup:

My desert ironwood Guardians 2019 edition was there to help put together an afternoon lunch out on the trail:

8FD75DB0-0FB3-491C-9723-C8646C3E8F9A.jpeg 4B7720D1-1BD0-4925-838C-FC5B6338B255.jpeg D132FC44-4061-467D-BC82-EAC932782805.jpeg
I got some fine cheeses to try from Rob the British Butcher.

Ironsides sliced up some very tasty Leicester and aged Irish Cheddar for the roll. Delicious!
B0966235-70D6-49DD-8A53-F08332AB32D1.jpeg

Alright, this is the last report in an occasional series of investigations into traditional pies and pasties, inspired by David @donn, Jack, and GT 5K Qs 5K Qs .

Looking forward to your pasty report, hopefully within the next couple of weeks before I head up to Pasty Country. :rolleyes: Chin, have you ever run across Bell's Two-Hearted Ale? Given your Hemingway favorite, you'll have to try it! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Thanks GT - I’ve not tried that Two-Hearted Ale, although I have noted that it’s a favoured brew of a few Guardians. I’ll look out for it, my friend - although I’m not sure we have it here.

So, with my ol’ ebony Lambsfoot in pocket, I headed out to try some of the wares of the famous ‘Victorian Sausage King’!

185C6A2D-BB50-4F84-99C8-C6B4536E8508.jpeg

cCavQlJ.jpg

I’ve been quite taken with this shop, and was pleased to find a very reasonably priced large bottle of Hendersons Relish among the British and Irish delicacies on their shelves. One thing I love about travelling is sampling the tastes of different foods around the world.

And who doesn’t love a shop where you can get a beer with your food supplies?

5203C886-1B64-479A-B2FF-7ED2DB464F71.jpeg

kLX0mph.jpg

(Actually, prompted by @donn ‘s accolades for Sarah Hughes’ Ruby Mild, I perhaps foolishly thought I’d try a John Smith’s Extra Smooth. I’ve never reflexively spat out a first mouthful of beer and tipped the rest down the sink before, so the less said about that one, the better.)

aaYaJvh.jpg

Thankfully, the pies and pasties are far better!

I acquired some Cornish Pasties, some genuine vegetable pasties (no shortening in the crust), and some Manchester Cheese ‘n’ Onion pies, and a couple of Scottish ‘Bridies’.

Here’s a vegie pastie, and a Bridie:

vYg9JDz.jpg

And a Cornish pastie and a Cheese ‘n’ Onion pie:

fUQ4A15.jpg

I understand the folded edges of Cornish Pasties were made so miners could grasp them with their hands covered with dirt or toxic chemicals, and eat the inner pastie, and throw the crust away.

Both of the pasties were very good, but I think I like the pasties made with fresh chopped vegetables in the best of my local bakeries a little better.

ShQeZvl.jpg

But the real standouts were actually the Manchester Cheese ‘n’ Onion pies and the Scottish Bridies, which were like a pastie with a minced meat and onion and suet filling.

5p6q4iI.jpg

Why have I never heard of either of those two dishes before?

Both of them were very delicious, and I’ve returned for more, since then!

acR02F1.jpg

mblAzMy.jpg

Mmmm, so good!

Last edited:

My desert ironwood Guardians 2019 edition was there to help put together an afternoon lunch out on the trail:

View attachment 1184645 View attachment 1184644 View attachment 1184643
I got some fine cheeses to try from Rob the British Butcher.

Ironsides sliced up some very tasty Leicester and aged Irish Cheddar for the roll. Delicious!
View attachment 1184693

Alright, this is the last report in an occasional series of investigations into traditional pies and pasties, inspired by David @donn, Jack, and GT 5K Qs 5K Qs .

Thanks GT - I’ve not tried that Two-Hearted Ale, although I have noted that it’s a favoured brew of a few Guardians. I’ll look out for it, my friend - although I’m not sure we have it here.

So, with my ol’ ebony Lambsfoot in pocket, I headed out to try some of the wares of the famous ‘Victorian Sausage King’!

View attachment 1184867

cCavQlJ.jpg

I’ve been quite taken with this shop, and was pleased to find a very reasonably priced large bottle of Hendersons Relish among the British and Irish delicacies on their shelves. One thing I love about travelling is sampling the tastes of different foods around the world.

And who doesn’t love a shop where you can get a beer with your food supplies?

View attachment 1184866

kLX0mph.jpg

(Actually, prompted by @donn ‘s accolades for Sarah Hughes’ Ruby Mild, I perhaps foolishly thought I’d try a John Smith’s Extra Smooth. I’ve never reflexively spat out a first mouthful of beer and tipped the rest down the sink before, so the less said about that one, the better.)

aaYaJvh.jpg

Thankfully, the pies and pasties are far better!

I acquired some Cornish Pasties, some genuine vegetable pasties (no shortening in the crust), and some Manchester Cheese ‘n’ Onion pies, and a couple of Scottish ‘Bridies’.

Here’s a vegie pastie, and a Bridie:

vYg9JDz.jpg

And a Cornish pastie and a Cheese ‘n’ Onion pie:

fUQ4A15.jpg

I understand the folded edges of Cornish Pasties were made so miners could grasp them with their hands covered with dirt or toxic chemicals, and eat the inner pastie, and throw the crust away.

Both of the pasties were very good, but I think I like the pasties made with fresh chopped vegetables in the best of my local bakeries a little better.

ShQeZvl.jpg

But the real standouts were actually the Manchester Cheese ‘n’ Onion pies and the Scottish Bridies, which were like a pastie with a minced meat and onion and suet filling.

5p6q4iI.jpg

Why have I never heard of either of those two dishes before?

Both of them were very delicious, and I’ve returned for more, since then!

acR02F1.jpg

mblAzMy.jpg

Mmmm, so good!

Great post, but not a good one to read before breakfast!

Morning Guardians. I'm finding myself very much taken with the L'il one! It's a great size, and rides very well in the pocket. Parents are in town for a visit today, so we're getting ready to meet up for Dim Sum for breakfast :)

j4U3qPa.jpg

Too many excellent posts since I last posted for me to respond to all of them, so I've arbitrarily decided to primarily feature posts containing Hartshead Barlow lambsfoot knives.

Headed out in a few minutes to our local hospital for a couple more or three biopsies. I'm going to carry my Stag Hartshead Barlow just in case the surgeon forgets to bring his punch/scalpel.

R7KGnNF.jpg

All I've got to say is that they better have a lollipop/sucker for me after the surgery. The last time they were out of them and when they called yesterday to verify my appointment, I let them know in no uncertain terms that I wanted a sucker.
I'm Back!!!!! Two holes in a cheek, three suckers and a sticker that says "I Was A Big Boy".:thumbsup::D
Great shot of your stag HHB, ED! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: I'm glad you came through the biopsies OK, even if you're a little less cheeky, and congrats on the Dum-Dum Triple Play! ;):cool: I hope the results come back favorably! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

That's a creek in a park in the small town where I work. I should try to get more beach and bayfront pics from the city where I live....
Td8VZV6.jpg
Thanks for the watery pics, Vince. :):thumbsup::thumbsup: I know that Texas has lots of Gulf Coast (TX ranks 6th on list of states with most seacoast), but when I asked locals here, "Texas: Wet or Dry?" everyone said dry. Nice shot of your 4 Aces, including that toasty stag HHB!

Indeed! Thanks for the counterexample, GT! :thumbsup:

'Truly unique' is now downgraded to 'rare example'. At least until it's shown that other examples that I've missed abound. ;)
:):thumbsup:

I carry a Lambsfoot because it's a handy, high calibre, cutting companion!

XQ1BYAx.jpg

How 'bout you?;)
:D:thumbsup::D Once more unto the breech, eh, Chin?? ;):rolleyes:

5K Qs 5K Qs - Thanks GT. Yes...Simply chalk and park-friendly asphalt. One can never get enough of Man Jack. Trust me.:)
Thanks, Harvey. :)
Anyone who doesn't enjoy your DamSamLamb Senator and that sweet pic must be nuts, IMHO! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

I've got some serious Lambsfoot slicin', Pie 'n' Pasty eatin', investigative reportage to file with GT and the rest of y'all too.:D;)
Chin, I might as well confess right now that I didn't have the proper powers to persuade my family to partake in the possibilities of pasty peregrinations around the Upper Peninsula. :(:thumbsdown: I thought maybe I could at least get pasties at the deli/bakery in Cedarville Foods grocery store in the town where we stay, but no joy.

GT You are a man of all seasons er lambsfoot. :D
View attachment 1183907
Thanks, Dave. :)
Your sun-splashed rosewood HHB is a real spirit-lifter! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Thank you GT, Man Jack is de man ;) :thumbsup:
Thanks, Jack. :)

Nice use of lighting on your two stag sentries. :thumbsup:
Thanks, FBC. :) That's an example of some of my too cold to go outside photography, in which I try to take advantage of the winter sun coming through the south-facing glass block windows in the basement laundry room. :rolleyes:

Thank you Guardians for the kind words !
I am happy you are enjoying the pics.
Hi, GT, here is the pic from another angle :)
It's a BIG cast iron pipe :D

Qv3TJdF.jpg

Thanks for the identification, Dan. :) Not exactly the exposed water main I had envisioned! :eek::rolleyes:

Carried these two today. Have our first football game tonight. Gonna keep the Hartshead in my pocket.
View attachment 1184072
Your rosewood HHB looks like it has already had a rich, full life, Taylor; I hope it brought some good luck to your team! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

ATTENTION!

Over two years have passed and almost 1400 pages have been filled since my very first post in this thread. Some might call that a good reason to celebrate. Though I cannot always keep up here due to the speed at which this thread flows, it is still something special to bear in mind when one considers the enthusiasm that the Lambsfoot knife has wrought.

This might be good cause for a giveaway. However, I am going to do something a bit different and get a bit of a pass-around started. This has been done with other traditional knives (notably Earl and Pearl in recent years) so I'd like to start an exclusive pass around for the Guardians here that will include a Lambsfoot from my personal collection.
Congrats, Dylan, on your ongoing participation in the thread, and thanks for the creative way to celebrate it! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Spicy HHB, Greg! ;):cool::cool:

I’m out walking at the moment, but I’ll post properly when I get back.

Some quick pics of where I am right now:

View attachment 1184202
View attachment 1184203
View attachment 1184201
Lovely pics of your walk, Chin! :cool::thumbsup::cool: What are some of the tree species that appear in your photos? Does Australia have any trees in common with other continents, or have the trees evolved in quite different ways?

Man Jack's last appearance of his week in my rotation:
MJ.pile.slip.jpg

- GT

Hartshead in the park...

OILCa45h.jpg

... hike to follow.
Hope you had a heavenly hike, Greg; your rosewood HHB looks right at home in the great outdoors! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Your stag HHB definitely wakes me up, Dylan! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Cool photo, but it's tough to get the rosewood HHB roof rack on a convertible, I guess! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup: Did they call vintage VW convertibles "Cabriolets"?

Hope everyone is having a great weekend :) It's a 3 day weekend here - a Bank Holiday Weekend as it's known - That usually means rotten weather, but on the contrary, it is unusually good - combine that with the fact it's the last Bank Holiday until Christmas, the start of the football season, an international cricket tournament in Leeds, a big local music festival, and the afore-mentioned Carnival, and in my opinion, you have a good reason to get out of town for the day and go somewhere quieter! :rolleyes: ;) :D :thumbsup:

Few pics from my hike today :thumbsup:

fTINfyb.jpg

Great to read that you had a heck of a hideout hike, Jack! ;):cool::cool: Your stag HHB sure "puts its best foot forward" in outdoor pics; that central ridge on the mark side is killer! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Well Jack it’s starting off to be a rough weekend! Last night I was sick. For the better part of five hours I kept my head over a bucket. Enough said! :eek: Yesterday afternoon Pam’s brother had to go to the emergency room. He’s a paraplegic. They admitted him to a room and it was 2:30 AM before Pam got home. We woke up this morning and the doctor called Pam to tell her they were moving him to ICU. They are treating him but they have him on a DNR order which is his choice of course. It’s not looking good. :(
Rough weekend, indeed, Ron; sorry to read about your concerns. :( My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

@Pàdruig - Dylan, I would love a shot at hosting Linus! I just hope my time does not come in the dead of winter like it did with Pearl. ;)
mQxqWZb.jpg
I STILL get nervous thinking about Pearl and you under that massive aquarium tank, Mark! :eek::eek:
Great shot of your colorful stag HHB with the walking sticks and ebony WCLF! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

I am loving the steel bolster, but it's makes my knives with nickel bolsters look brassy.:(
AKN8jGO.jpg

Your rosewood HHB is just looking better and better!! :cool::cool::thumbsup:
I'm a big Rough Rider fan, but one criticism I have is their bolsters "yellow" very quickly (oh, and they don't make a lambsfoot :rolleyes:).

I used the HHB tin to put together a emergency survival kit. ;):D
48614434437_ce53acead4_h.jpg

Excellent survival kit, FBC; gotta have HHBs if you intend to survive apocalypses of various kinds (including roller disco apocalypse)! :D:cool::thumbsup:

Most excellent choices in knives and tunes! Been listening to some MTB lately. :cool::thumbsup:
I carry a Lambsfoot because...carrying a sword would be just silly!:D
View attachment 1184712
:D:D:thumbsup: Good one, Dennis!
Old Guy's link got me searching YouTube for Marshall Tucker's "Can't You See" and listening to that tearjerker multiple times! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Not my lambsfoot carry for this week, but in keeping with the theme of this post, I'll show LamBarJack, my rosewood HHB:
hhb.mark.V.stand.jpg

- GT

Jack that looks great. That is another project I do in the winter make homemade sausage. I start from scratch bone the pork butts grind the pork season the mix and stuff it in casings by this time of year I am out of sausage

iRZoHDY.jpg

Thanks for the watery pics, Vince. :):thumbsup::thumbsup: I know that Texas has lots of Gulf Coast (TX ranks 6th on list of states with most seacoast), but when I asked locals here, "Texas: Wet or Dry?" everyone said dry. Nice shot of your 4 Aces, including that toasty stag HHB!
It depends, Gary. Texas is a BIG state (I still consider it the biggest 'cause Alaska is practically uninhabited ;) ), and it takes all day to drive from one end to the other, south to north or east to west. North Texas, near the panhandle, is probably pretty dry, mostly plains. West Texas is partly desert and mountains, and very dry. East Texas has the Piney Woods, along the Louisiana border, is probably the wettest and greenest part of the state. I wouldn't call Houston dry. It's near the coast about four hours' drive from me. The Hill Country is beautiful, semi-dry, I guess. Sometimes it gets pretty wet around here, but we are having a little bit of a drought. We need rain.
Also, it snows every winter in north Texas, but rarely here.

Back