1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Jack Black, Jun 26, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Timeinthefield

Timeinthefield Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 27, 2019
    Hello all! Happy to have found this thread, even if it was nearly 1500 pages in already. Hah. Anyway I guess it’s a testament to the popularity of such an awesome style of knife! I just received a new A. Wright today in the mail and figured I’d post it as a formal request to join the club!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
  2. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Hope you had a great day Jon :) :thumbsup:

My first pair of Merrells were a boot sent to me by the company when I was a gear tester back in the early to mid 1990's. I was impressed by their fit and comfort, but like a lot of outdoor clothing back then, the colours were awful - grey, with pink and turquoise! :eek: :D These are the Ridgepass Bolt, and they were less than $30 a pair, which is really very inexpensive here, they are normally around $100. There was just one size though - US 12.5, which the retailer listed as a UK 12. That's the size I normally get for boots, but for trainers or shoes I normally go a size down. However, I know footwear sizes can vary massively, so at that price, I thought I would give it a shot. I ordered a pair online to be picked up in the store, so I could try them on, and as they fitted perfectly, I immediately ordered two more pairs. I'd have bought more if they'd had anymore left! :D Couldn't be more pleased with them :) :thumbsup:

Great pic Mark :) :thumbsup:

Yeah, nickel is almost entirely brass! :D Those bolsters are looking good Rachel :) :thumbsup:

I guess they must have picked the date for the bank holiday, as they later did the larger Notting Hill Carnival , but it probably rains two years out of three! o_O :rolleyes: People come from all over the country to it, but it is several years since I've even walked to the bottom of my road for it, as it is very crowded, and once you've seen the parade a few times you've seen it. Hope the young 'uns have a nice time though :) With those temperatures, you must be glad of that rain Rachel :) :thumbsup:

Thanks pal, that's a great survival kit! :D :thumbsup:

I think it'll be OK here Vince :) :thumbsup:

Thanks a lot Dennis, I had a very nice walk, and it was quiet and peaceful in the woods :) Great pic my friend :) :thumbsup:

Just ten :) I don't know about valuable, but certainly rare :D :thumbsup:

Welcome to The Guardians! :) Congratulations on your new Lambsfoot, great to have you here :thumbsup:

mitch4ging, dc50, CelloDan and 10 others like this.
  3. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    Morning Guardians, hope everyone is having a lovely weekend :) I'm carrying my AC today :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

Here's a pic I took a few weeks back at Halifax Piece Hall. The weather is a lot better today! :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

Have a relaxing and peaceful Sunday folks :) :thumbsup:

4. Reaper AL

Reaper AL Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 28, 2019
    ED44592D-7467-405C-801D-98CEB27C1D5A.jpeg I don’t know if peach pie is the best way to start off the day but it was so good last night I couldn’t resist this morning. I guess I have no self control

5. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    I don't blame you Al, I couldn't resist that either, it looks delicious :) I have just been out picking blackberries in my garden, been a great crop this year, think I got about another 3lb, and there's plenty more :) It's pretty hot outside for here. I decided I better retire indoors for my Sunday Sausage Sandwich ;) :D :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

6. Onebigbill

Onebigbill Basic Member Basic Member

May 21, 2019
    Better eat it before that pirate does! He sure looks like he's ready to take a bite.

[​IMG]

7. JaxBaron

JaxBaron Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 4, 2016
    Looks great Al! My kind of breakfast. :D

8. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    It's very very valuable to me. :):thumbsup:

9. JaxBaron

JaxBaron Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 4, 2016
    Good Morning Guardians, Up and at’em! Check the ebony scales out on this lambfoot. I haven’t came up with a name for it yet, but this one is quite unique. Hope everyone enjoys their Sunday. I will be taking it easy and resting up for the work week. ;)

7DE46C31-B0C7-4977-9A94-2DA90033FDE7.jpeg 290CD0F7-380D-4E41-A39B-1284AA19C7E1.jpeg

10. akaMatt

akaMatt Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

May 10, 2017
    Beautiful knife, Jack! :thumbsup:

Have a good rest of the weekend!

cigarrodog and Jack Black like this.
  11. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    Good Morning Guardians
    I've been so busy lately that I haven't had time to do any proper multi-quoting.
    I moved my younger son to college and we've started to clear out some of the rooms for our remodeling project.
    The next month will be even more busy with moving my other son to college and moving everything out of the house.
    But believe I will still be here every day checking out the fine Lambsfoot pictures and participating whenever I can find time.

Going to carry my Rosewood today...
    [​IMG]

12. Cambertree

Cambertree Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 2014
    Ron, I hope you’re feeling better, my friend. My thoughts are with you and Pam, and your brother-in-law.

Cheers Greg, looking forward to it, my friend.:thumbsup:

(I have an excellent Thai Sweet Chilli sauce recipe, if you’d like, as well?);)

Well, if the International Order of Guardians were ever able to have a BBQ/bring a plate potluck, rendezvous meeting, it would be quite the feast of tasty world cuisine, I’m sure.:D

And that’s not even including all the primo beverages that would be getting shared around!;)

I was chuckling this morning, thinking of which Guardians would be assigned to which duties.:D

I won’t go through the mental list I generated, in case I leave anyone out, but suffice to say, we’d have the booze, food, BBQ duties, condiments and desserts, and even postprandial cigars well covered!

Well, we can dream!

Yes it was a fine hike, thanks Jack. One of those bright, sunny days with a clear, stiff breeze out of a blue sky, blowing away those ol’ cobwebs of winter.:thumbsup:

My desert ironwood Guardians 2019 edition was there to help put together an afternoon lunch out on the trail:

8FD75DB0-0FB3-491C-9723-C8646C3E8F9A.jpeg 4B7720D1-1BD0-4925-838C-FC5B6338B255.jpeg D132FC44-4061-467D-BC82-EAC932782805.jpeg
    I got some fine cheeses to try from Rob the British Butcher.

Ironsides sliced up some very tasty Leicester and aged Irish Cheddar for the roll. Delicious!
    B0966235-70D6-49DD-8A53-F08332AB32D1.jpeg

Alright, this is the last report in an occasional series of investigations into traditional pies and pasties, inspired by David @donn, Jack, and GT @5K Qs .

Thanks GT - I’ve not tried that Two-Hearted Ale, although I have noted that it’s a favoured brew of a few Guardians. I’ll look out for it, my friend - although I’m not sure we have it here.

So, with my ol’ ebony Lambsfoot in pocket, I headed out to try some of the wares of the famous ‘Victorian Sausage King’!

185C6A2D-BB50-4F84-99C8-C6B4536E8508.jpeg

[​IMG]

I’ve been quite taken with this shop, and was pleased to find a very reasonably priced large bottle of Hendersons Relish among the British and Irish delicacies on their shelves. One thing I love about travelling is sampling the tastes of different foods around the world.

And who doesn’t love a shop where you can get a beer with your food supplies?

5203C886-1B64-479A-B2FF-7ED2DB464F71.jpeg

[​IMG]

(Actually, prompted by @donn ‘s accolades for Sarah Hughes’ Ruby Mild, I perhaps foolishly thought I’d try a John Smith’s Extra Smooth. I’ve never reflexively spat out a first mouthful of beer and tipped the rest down the sink before, so the less said about that one, the better.)

[​IMG]

Thankfully, the pies and pasties are far better!

I acquired some Cornish Pasties, some genuine vegetable pasties (no shortening in the crust), and some Manchester Cheese ‘n’ Onion pies, and a couple of Scottish ‘Bridies’.

Here’s a vegie pastie, and a Bridie:

[​IMG]

And a Cornish pastie and a Cheese ‘n’ Onion pie:

[​IMG]

I understand the folded edges of Cornish Pasties were made so miners could grasp them with their hands covered with dirt or toxic chemicals, and eat the inner pastie, and throw the crust away.

Both of the pasties were very good, but I think I like the pasties made with fresh chopped vegetables in the best of my local bakeries a little better.

[​IMG]

But the real standouts were actually the Manchester Cheese ‘n’ Onion pies and the Scottish Bridies, which were like a pastie with a minced meat and onion and suet filling.

[​IMG]

Why have I never heard of either of those two dishes before?

Both of them were very delicious, and I’ve returned for more, since then!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mmmm, so good!

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
  13. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Way to go, "Big Boy" ED, I knew you could handle it (for the suckers, of course! ;)).

14. Onebigbill

Onebigbill Basic Member Basic Member

May 21, 2019
    OK, the trip to Ireland and Scotland is over; time to get my trusty HHB back to work out into the garden.
    IMG_1582.JPG

15. Modoc ED

Modoc ED Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 28, 2010
    A Big-un with Buffalo Horn Covers and a Big-un with Rosewood Covers flank:

Small Buffalo Horn, Standard Buffalo Horn, Hartshead Stag, 2-Blade Rosewood; Standard Ebony

[​IMG]

16. Crazy Canuck

Crazy Canuck Singing along with the voices in my head Gold Member

Nov 24, 2013
    Great post, but not a good one to read before breakfast!

Morning Guardians. I'm finding myself very much taken with the L'il one! It's a great size, and rides very well in the pocket. Parents are in town for a visit today, so we're getting ready to meet up for Dim Sum for breakfast :)

[​IMG]

17. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    Too many excellent posts since I last posted for me to respond to all of them, so I've arbitrarily decided to primarily feature posts containing Hartshead Barlow lambsfoot knives.

Great shot of your stag HHB, ED! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: I'm glad you came through the biopsies OK, even if you're a little less cheeky, and congrats on the Dum-Dum Triple Play! ;):cool: I hope the results come back favorably! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks for the watery pics, Vince. :):thumbsup::thumbsup: I know that Texas has lots of Gulf Coast (TX ranks 6th on list of states with most seacoast), but when I asked locals here, "Texas: Wet or Dry?" everyone said dry. Nice shot of your 4 Aces, including that toasty stag HHB!

:):thumbsup:

:D:thumbsup::D Once more unto the breech, eh, Chin?? ;):rolleyes:

Thanks, Harvey. :)
    Anyone who doesn't enjoy your DamSamLamb Senator and that sweet pic must be nuts, IMHO! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

Chin, I might as well confess right now that I didn't have the proper powers to persuade my family to partake in the possibilities of pasty peregrinations around the Upper Peninsula. :(:thumbsdown: I thought maybe I could at least get pasties at the deli/bakery in Cedarville Foods grocery store in the town where we stay, but no joy.

Thanks, Dave. :)
    Your sun-splashed rosewood HHB is a real spirit-lifter! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Thanks, Jack. :)

Thanks, FBC. :) That's an example of some of my too cold to go outside photography, in which I try to take advantage of the winter sun coming through the south-facing glass block windows in the basement laundry room. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the identification, Dan. :) Not exactly the exposed water main I had envisioned! :eek::rolleyes:

Your rosewood HHB looks like it has already had a rich, full life, Taylor; I hope it brought some good luck to your team! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Congrats, Dylan, on your ongoing participation in the thread, and thanks for the creative way to celebrate it! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Spicy HHB, Greg! ;):cool::cool:

Lovely pics of your walk, Chin! :cool::thumbsup::cool: What are some of the tree species that appear in your photos? Does Australia have any trees in common with other continents, or have the trees evolved in quite different ways?

Man Jack's last appearance of his week in my rotation:
    MJ.pile.slip.jpg

- GT

18. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    Hope you had a heavenly hike, Greg; your rosewood HHB looks right at home in the great outdoors! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Your stag HHB definitely wakes me up, Dylan! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Cool photo, but it's tough to get the rosewood HHB roof rack on a convertible, I guess! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup: Did they call vintage VW convertibles "Cabriolets"?

Great to read that you had a heck of a hideout hike, Jack! ;):cool::cool: Your stag HHB sure "puts its best foot forward" in outdoor pics; that central ridge on the mark side is killer! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Rough weekend, indeed, Ron; sorry to read about your concerns. :( My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

I STILL get nervous thinking about Pearl and you under that massive aquarium tank, Mark! :eek::eek:
    Great shot of your colorful stag HHB with the walking sticks and ebony WCLF! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Your rosewood HHB is just looking better and better!! :cool::cool::thumbsup:
    I'm a big Rough Rider fan, but one criticism I have is their bolsters "yellow" very quickly (oh, and they don't make a lambsfoot :rolleyes:).

Excellent survival kit, FBC; gotta have HHBs if you intend to survive apocalypses of various kinds (including roller disco apocalypse)! :D:cool::thumbsup:

:D:D:thumbsup: Good one, Dennis!
    Old Guy's link got me searching YouTube for Marshall Tucker's "Can't You See" and listening to that tearjerker multiple times! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Not my lambsfoot carry for this week, but in keeping with the theme of this post, I'll show LamBarJack, my rosewood HHB:
    hhb.mark.V.stand.jpg

- GT

19. Reaper AL

Reaper AL Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 28, 2019
    Jack that looks great. That is another project I do in the winter make homemade sausage. I start from scratch bone the pork butts grind the pork season the mix and stuff it in casings by this time of year I am out of sausage

20. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    It depends, Gary. Texas is a BIG state (I still consider it the biggest 'cause Alaska is practically uninhabited ;) ), and it takes all day to drive from one end to the other, south to north or east to west. North Texas, near the panhandle, is probably pretty dry, mostly plains. West Texas is partly desert and mountains, and very dry. East Texas has the Piney Woods, along the Louisiana border, is probably the wettest and greenest part of the state. I wouldn't call Houston dry. It's near the coast about four hours' drive from me. The Hill Country is beautiful, semi-dry, I guess. Sometimes it gets pretty wet around here, but we are having a little bit of a drought. We need rain.
    Also, it snows every winter in north Texas, but rarely here.