Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Heavenly horn, FBC! :cool::cool::thumbsup: Is that a Steppenwolf album in the background? Haven't listened to my Steppenwolf Live in decades. :(
I do like the horn on that one, thanks. Good eye, GT. That is a Steppenwolf lp.

Good old Jake
Survived the Quake! :thumbsup::cool:;)
Haha, I always enjoy your poetic comments, Gary. :thumbsup:

Just finished the fascinating and thoroughly enjoyable tome gifted to me by @Cambertree, with a glass of Aussie Shiraz :) :thumbsup:

nuv5jBf.jpg
Great knives and a interesting book. From a previous post of yours I went looking for just what the heck a Slungshot was and found this video. I have always heard them called a Monkey fist even on the ship. Thanks to you, @Cambertree and this thread I now know better. :)

Waynorth on the levee.
49003884713_3b10c5e11c_h.jpg

Impressive Big Iron, Ron!! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

More Cracker Jack:
cj-pile-sunset-jpg.1225100
Gary, thank you for the Ironwood Bigun compliment my friend! I know you and I are fortunate to be among the Guardians that have these beautiful Ashley’s Choice SFO’s. They are all unique and wonderful knives and your Cracker Jack is a great example! :)

The shorebirds where we vacation on Lake Huron are not very skittish. I'm not sure what the white bird is; juvenile great blue heron, maybe?
Looks like a Great Egret to me, but I’m no expert on shore birds.

These are quotes that get me past my bedtime on Saturday night. Not caught up, but getting close enough to taste it!
Hello Guardians, I am very happy to share my mail call today :)
My ebony lamb will not be so lonely anymore:thumbsup: Love my new Hartshead Barlow SFO and my new African Rosewood Lambs !!!:thumbsup:
Thanks you Jack !
The three Amigos :D
5HGjTOl.jpg
Congrats, Dan, on the two new lambsfoots and the extra treats from Jack!! I'm sure you'll enjoy your rosewood lambsfoot and that stag HHB SFO! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

I love snow, especially in October.:mad:
3F1B7861-124E-49E0-922C-B0F872B7E972_zpsxdhkji7x.jpeg
There's no accounting for taste, they say! :D (I think I read your post 3 times, Harvey, and totally missed the little emoji that I think indicates you detest October snow as much as I do!)

I did a double take
When I saw hi-tech Jake! :cool:;)

Been waiting for a parcel to arrive, and it was in my mailbox this morning. A couple of lambs to add to my flock, ...:)
t4OnZwK.jpg
Congrats on your 2 new lambs, @cudgee! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: That driftwood version is worthy of serious contemplation!

Teaching Linus the Lambsfoot some Texas history before he makes his way to Tennessee.
Qt8glc9.jpg

Of course, Crockett has strong connections to Tennessee, too, just like Sam Houston.
Vince, the only time I've been to Texas was in April 1985 for a National Council of Teachers of Mathematics annual convention in San Antonio. My hotel was across the street from the Alamo. Thoroughly enjoyed my brief time in Texas.

I thought flatblackcapo flatblackcapo would enjoy this account of an early London cyclist who was accosted by a fellow who ‘apparently had been imbibing’ and who ‘addressed some insulting remarks to her’.

The Illustrated Police News of July 1899, reported that she ‘immediately alighted... and gave him a sound thrashing, using her fists in Scientific Fashion, to the delight of several colliers who happened to be passing’.

V5egTtY.jpg

The young woman, who was ‘believed to be a Bolton Lady, noted for her Athletic Powers, then rode off towards Tydesley’ and into the ranks of those wonderful, nameless characters in the marginalia of English literature, like Coleridge’s infamous ‘Man from Porlock’, and DeQuincy’s anonymous Malay, who appeared at the door of his cottage in Grasmere in Cumbria’s Lake District in 1812, and shared some opium with him - enough to kill ‘three dragoons and their horses’ - then ‘lay on the floor for about an hour, before pursuing his journey’.
Engaging tale, Chin! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Cracker Jack's last stand:
cj.pile.patina.leafcart.jpg

- GT

Then Laurel's kitchen has an oatmeal and whwh bread I'll try, because oats are good for geezers and I don't like oatmeal or unsweetened Cheerios. I expect oat griddle cakes would be just as bland. But maybe with HP sauce ...
I didn't like oatmeal until I started adding fruits, vegetables, seeds, and nuts to it. Now I think it's nutritious AND delicious! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup: I volunteer in the church nursery once or twice per month, and ALL the under-2 crowd LOVE plain Cheerios. Maybe you need to get in touch with your inner child, Jer! :D

Speaking of Texas:
1aHrEuD.jpg
I guess I've lost some weight. I dug out my fleece-lined denim vest/weskit, and I look much less like Baby Huey on Mars in it than I did last year.
TqMkulc.jpg
You've posted some excellent photos of Old Toffee Wing lately!! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Just came in the mail. Not perfect but not too bad either. Grind on the blade is uneven from mark to pile side of it. From what I have heard from others it's inherent with the blades (supplied by AW Wright). Blade is well centered. Covers are Rams Horn. Overall, for the money, a little disappointed but pretty satisfied at the same time (if that makes any sense).
View attachment 1223816
That ram's horn is fetching, and I like the intricate bolster stamp, although I'm not sure what it represents; congrats, Bill! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

I also got my Michael May Sheffield Barlow (in cherry wood) in the mail today.

View attachment 1223847
Congrats, WHT WHT , on your Micahel May custom Barlow, too! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Early A.M walk.
View attachment 1223884

Zach Wood over sized Clip-It Pry Bar and a vintage Lamb.
View attachment 1223885
Another worthy Lambsfoot, Harvey! :thumbsup::cool::cool: I think I need to see a group shot of your entire flock to get me oriented; all the stunning individual pics have my head spinning!

Finally snapped a new photo today while going to the Drs...
View attachment 1224058

Have a great weekend, all!!
That patina pulls no punches, Dennis!! :eek::thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

... Have a good day folks, I#m going with stag and Damascus :) :thumbsup:

yJF0l5p.jpg
High class without a doubt, Jack!! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

A fine morning to all. Which one will it be today?
View attachment 1224156
Since all of my pants have at least 4 pockets each, I'd go for all of the above, Bill! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup: Quality quartet!

Mornin' fellow lammie enthusiasts! Carrying my newly acquired JB '19 ironwood SFO. Still thinking about a name for him, and the one that keeps surfacing, I don't know why..., is "Two-Face" from the Batman series. But, this guy is no villain. I'll keep pondering... :)
Amazing difference between the two sides! :eek::thumbsup::cool:
Are you familiar with Janus, the two-faced god from Roman mythology? :D

Really?
No burgers?
Not even once a week?
:( :D ;)
I can't remember the last time I had a burger! :eek:
We go through a lot of ground turkey, but I tend to brown 3 or 4 pounds at a time, and then add a few scoops to whatever I'm cooking.

Good Morning Guardians
My son leaves today for Ontario, California.
He is auditioning for his "dream band" tomorrow, the Cavaliers based in Illinois.
I'm so nervous for him and hope he does well, please send him some powerful Guardian Mojo. :)
I hope the audition goes well, John; you're probably more nervous than he is, right? :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Good afternoon Guardian. Hope everyone is having a pleasant weekend.
BC93E175-061A-4409-944C-93A04501BC1F_zpsnqjae884.jpeg
Priceless! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Thank you Dennis, I'm not sure what the knife will be like when I get it! :rolleyes: My friend's description (given after I'd said I'd take it) didn't give me much to go on: "It's got plastic or bone handles, a right long blade, I thought it were a flick-knife at first, and a fork at the other end." :rolleyes: I've got my suspicions ;) :D :thumbsup:
Sounds like a knife for all seasons! :D:thumbsup::thumbsup:

The Extraordinary Adventures of Linus the Lambsfoot
I had a jalapeño cheddar cheese biscuit with sausage, egg, and cheese [yes, I use the "Oxford comma"]....
Opa!
Another incredibly enjoyable Linus post, Vince!! :thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup:
I've thought highly of you for a long time, Vince, but my opinion of you rose to another level when I learned you use the Oxford comma! My college's communications office made the Oxford comma "illegal" in official college business about 15 years ago, but they recently reversed that decision. I just continued to use it, whether I was in compliance or not.

OK folks ...It's time to step up the game :D
kGO0UVm.jpg

https://imgur.com/a/S5jZPtE
My favorite of your "lambsfoots and chickadees" series! :D:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Family is away, so time for brats and beer. :D
Now THAT is a meal!! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup::)

Hmmm... never seen sauce on brats. I usually put mustard and sometimes sauerkraut. That's all it needs!
I like mustard and onion on my brats, but sauerkraut sounds pretty good too! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

Cracker Jack in August:
cj.mark.closed.deck.vista.jpg

- GT

That ram's horn is fetching, and I like the intricate bolster stamp, although I'm not sure what it represents; congrats, Bill! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

It is the coat of arms for the Company of Cutlers of Hallomshire.

Thank you kindly, Dan. Your African Rosewood Lamb has great color and character. Fine detailing in your images, Birdman.
Welcome aboard, Dan. :cool::thumbsup:
Congrats, Dan! Superb photos! :thumbsup:
Congrats, Dan, on the two new lambsfoots and the extra treats from Jack!! I'm sure you'll enjoy your rosewood lambsfoot and that stag HHB SFO! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

TY Guardians, I am very happy with my little flock :thumbsup::)

Incredible shot, Dan!! :eek::thumbsup::D:D
My favorite of your "lambsfoots and chickadees" series! :D:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks GT :)

That's a particularly nice photo Dan, lovely thing to do with your family my friend :) Roasted chestnuts were ubiquitous at this time of year when I was a boy, and the smell of them is very evocative for me. They are great fun to gather, as well as to eat :) That's a smashing pic of your African Rosewood Lambsfoot Dan, I hope you enjoy those roasted chestnuts :) :thumbsup:

Gracias Jack !
The chestnuts were great, my oldest daughter and I finished them all in one seating at lunch today :thumbsup: !
( my youngest looked at them with suspicion and my wife said " no thank you, I already brushed my teeth " lol )

Any tips to make the peels come off easier ?

Vince, the only time I've been to Texas was in April 1985 for a National Council of Teachers of Mathematics annual convention in San Antonio. My hotel was across the street from the Alamo. Thoroughly enjoyed my brief time in Texas.
San Antonio is the only other place I've lived. I LOVE that town. Did you stay at the Menger (where Teddy Roosevelt recruited some Rough Riders), or The Emily Morgan? Those are the closest hotels to the Alamo.

Another incredibly enjoyable Linus post, Vince!! :thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup:
I've thought highly of you for a long time, Vince, but my opinion of you rose to another level when I learned you use the Oxford comma! My college's communications office made the Oxford comma "illegal" in official college business about 15 years ago, but they recently reversed that decision. I just continued to use it, whether I was in compliance or not.
Long live the Oxford comma!

Last edited:

htj7xBs.jpg

Final post: I had Linus packed up and ready to leave, but my wife asked me why? "We're going to the Island today!" My granddaughter was celebrating her first birthday at the other grandparents' house on Padre Island. In the following map, it is located where the blue dot is:
UEHK02z.png

So we drove over there this afternoon. Some pics from the drive (with help from wife and daughter):
EA8QxDl.jpg

Yc85CIP.jpg

4UJVDFn.jpg

6snMzvx.jpg

We drove over to my son's house first to see some work done on it. His house is also on the island. Here's a look at the canal he lives on:
Xt3465w.jpg

And we drove over to the beach to get a few pics. Behold the Gulf of Mexico!
1XBFok1.jpg

OHFKeKw.jpg

0EXvB1g.jpg

Here's my granddaughter with her mother:
LsTuRn4.jpg

And opening presents:
ysq8eGB.jpg

We had chicken cordon bleu, and the plastic knives we were provided with just weren't cutting it, so I got some help from Linus. [Forgot to take a pic--sorry!]

At some point, the men retired to the back porch for whiskey and cigars:
6t76lRl.jpg

nwcTV8P.jpg

Linus was a good guest.

Here's my son in a "garage band":
GzAv9XX.jpg

That's him with the guitar. The guy standing next to him is his brother-in-law, and the guy on the drums is his father-in-law's brother. They're singing Sweet Home Alabama, which some of you may be familiar with.

Another sunset pic:
rySSdKB.jpg

All good things must come to an end. Here's Linus bidding adieu to his lambsfoot buddies:
8hVNYk5.jpg

It's been fun! On to Tennessee!

Last edited:
Good afternoon Guardians! I hope y’all are having a good day! My Ashley’s Choice SFO is in the pocket today! :):thumbsup:

44736248301_cb185b44c2_o_d.jpg

Great choice Ron :) :thumbsup:

Anything appropriate for geriatric self-defense in there, Jack? I won't carry a gun, but I often consider carrying something less deadly.

More Cracker Jack:
View attachment 1225100

- GT

Impressive multi-quote Gary, and great avian pics :) If it's legal in your state, I'd say that a flat-sap or blackjack makes an excellent self-defence tool :thumbsup:

It's been great seeing Cracker Jack :) :thumbsup:

High class without a doubt, Jack!! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Thanks for your kind words GT, and for all the great pics of Cracker Jack, you're a dilligent Guardian my friend :) :thumbsup:

Gracias Jack !
The chestnuts were great, my oldest daughter and I finished them all in one seating at lunch today :thumbsup: !
( my youngest looked at them with suspicion and my wife said " no thank you, I already brushed my teeth " lol )

Any tips to make the peels come off easier ?

Glad you enjoyed them Dan, I would recommend splitting them nearly half way through, then closing the shell back together, and roasting until they are black or almost black on the outside. They should come out of the shells much easier than, and the inner peel will either stay in the shell, just flake off when you rub the chestnut between your fingers :thumbsup:

htj7xBs.jpg

Final post: I had Linus packed up and ready to leave, but my wife asked me why? "We're going to the Island today!" My granddaughter was celebrating her first birthday at the other grandparents' house on Padre Island. In the following map, it is located where the blue dot is:
UEHK02z.png

So we drove over there this afternoon. Some pics from the drive (with help from wife and daughter):
EA8QxDl.jpg

Yc85CIP.jpg

4UJVDFn.jpg

6snMzvx.jpg

We drove over to my son's house first to see some work done on it. His house is also on the island. Here's a look at the canal he lives on:
Xt3465w.jpg

And we drove over to the beach to get a few pics. Behold the Gulf of Mexico!
1XBFok1.jpg

OHFKeKw.jpg

0EXvB1g.jpg

Here's my granddaughter with her mother:
LsTuRn4.jpg

And opening presents:
ysq8eGB.jpg

We had chicken cordon bleu, and the plastic forks we were provided with just weren't cutting it, so I got some help from Linus. [Forgot to take a pic--sorry!]

At some point, the men retired to the back porch for whiskey and cigars:
6t76lRl.jpg

nwcTV8P.jpg

Linus was a good guest.

Here's my son in a "garage band":
GzAv9XX.jpg

That's him with the guitar. The guy standing next to him is his brother-in-law, and the guy on the drums is his father-in-law's brother. They're singing Sweet Home Alabama, which some of you may be familiar with.

Another sunset pic:
rySSdKB.jpg

All good things must come to an end. Here's Linus bidding adieu to his lambsfoot buddies:
8hVNYk5.jpg

It's been fun! On to Tennessee!

That's both funny and cool that your wife got so involved in the visit Vince :D :) :thumbsup: That looks like a wonderful day, and thanks for the great pics, your granddaughter is adorable :) Love the final pic of Linus saying farewell to your flock, I bet that's an excellent book :) :thumbsup:

Stunning shot Dan :cool: :thumbsup:

Back