Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Great picture right there. Well done. :cool::thumbsup:

Well, I won't say creepy, but it is spooky.

Pretty awesome!

Wow, Doc! Just Wow! :thumbsup:

Nicely played Dan :thumbsup: - give the little blighters drugs :D

TY Guardians :)
A couple more to splurge on lambs and chickadees :D
( I don't know how I missed these two earlier as I had made a point a getting a shot with a chickadee standing on my special Hartshead Barlow )
cSaFiZq.jpg

bKC6LXk.jpg

"A Walk in Nature"
https://imgur.com/a/S5jZPtE

Morning Guardians, hope everyone is having a great weekend. I'm afraid I only have a spare five minutes this morning, so I just thought I'd call in to wish everyone a very happy Sunday, and to post my carry. I'll see you all later in the day :) :thumbsuip:

iLptv2N.jpg

dXkxbK3.jpg

It does mate, as Jack said.

They sure made some fine pieces of kit in those days:
View attachment 1223515

I think you’d enjoy that book too, David. I sort of meandered into finding it from reading all those references to ‘Life Preservers’ in Henry Mayhew’s Victorian Underworld series, which we’ve previously chatted about in this thread.

Yes, Escobar refers to one of Holmes’ favourite tools being a lead loaded riding crop.

Apparently there was quite an industry of discreet self defence tools in Victorian era England.

Of course some people had no need of any force multipliers when it came to ‘holding court in the street’!

I thought @flatblackcapo would enjoy this account of an early London cyclist who was accosted by a fellow who ‘apparently had been imbibing’ and who ‘addressed some insulting remarks to her’.

The Illustrated Police News of July 1899, reported that she ‘immediately alighted... and gave him a sound thrashing, using her fists in Scientific Fashion, to the delight of several colliers who happened to be passing’.

V5egTtY.jpg

The young woman, who was ‘believed to be a Bolton Lady, noted for her Athletic Powers, then rode off towards Tydesley’ and into the ranks of those wonderful, nameless characters in the marginalia of English literature, like Coleridge’s infamous ‘Man from Porlock’, and DeQuincy’s anonymous Malay, who appeared at the door of his cottage in Grasmere in Cumbria’s Lake District in 1812, and shared some opium with him - enough to kill ‘three dragoons and their horses’ - then ‘lay on the floor for about an hour, before pursuing his journey’.

Chin what a great post! Yip that's a Swingle, thanks for posting that! I came across one that looked pretty much identical to that on a farm I was visiting; it was a family heirloom.:) :thumbsup:
I think the Victorians had a very good idea about the art of self-defence and the appropriate tools required for it. We always think of the Victorian era as being one of decorum and manners but obviously there was also grinding poverty and crime in our cities.
And that's an hilarious story about the lady cyclist. :D I'm from Wigan (not far from Bolton) and as Jack also noted, nowadays you still don't mess with a Bolton lass.:D

Here’s another pic I blame you for - some Lancashire Cheese ‘n’ Onion pie and a Scottish Forfar Bridie.;):D

QR9bts1.jpg

Guilty as charged. :D

JD67kvT.jpg

wbTjnVQ.jpg
[/QUOTE]

That soups not as substantial but looks nice all the same. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the Penang Lawyer link David :thumbsup: There's a couple of old Life Preservers in the Royal Armouries museum, at least one of them being dubbed the 'Sailor's Friend'. I probably have a pic somewhere, but it could take all morning to find! Probably quicker to go down there and take another! :rolleyes:

Interesting footage, thank you :thumbsup: The brass on my piece is actually of different guage I notice, with the thicker baseplate being 1/4", and the revolving part not much thinner. You wouldn't want to get caught with it in a sock! :eek: :D :thumbsup:

Nay lad, it wer' Derbyshire service! :D
It does look far more interesting than it did to me when I was a kid David, but the English Heritage charge is certainly one of the reasons I've not visited more o_O Plenty to do and see for nowt in Castleton too. I imagine you visited Saint Edmunds with its Norman arch (I remember when their 3 historic bibles were on open display). I once went out with a lass who had a summer job working in one of the caverns, and attended her works 'do'. I don't know if it's still the same today, but back in the 70's, the caverns were still owned by the same rival families who had owned them (and been prominent there) since time immemorial, a bunch of rather entitled, ignorant snobs from what I recall (lot of cousins marrying cousins) :rolleyes:

Your right Jack, I think I recall seeing stuff like that in the self-defence display. Just had a look for my Royal Armouries pictures but can I find them, can I heckers like. :rolleyes:
Aye I don't know who owns any of the caverns either but if their as profitable as they seem to be it could still be the same families I guess, as why would anyone surrender such little goldmines?
I didn't visit St' Edmund's church, which is the 3rd time I've missed it, as I decided I wanted a pint instead so visited three of the pubs which were...a disappointment to say the least. :( Wish I'd of gone the church now; and I've never heard of their historic bibles so thanks for drawing my attention to them.
I'm still curious as to what that object is.

Yes, I think it must have been made by the same chap, at least in part, since their other cutlers don't do fine work at all (to be polite). Here's the blade on a sample I picked up recently, looks like the edge has been put on with a Dremel, and the action is so poor I can't even open the blade without a pick :mad:

KUtFjNm.jpg

Crikey. Even I can tell that's pretty shoddy work.

Beautiful pics, David.:cool: Nice sunset.:thumbsup:

Light duty for the Lambsfoot yesterday. Mostly just pencil sharpening although, a lot of it, as marking on concrete wears down the lead quickly.

cMGmtAQ.jpg

522cvnl.jpg

Then, Halloween with two of my favorite little girls where my Lambsfoot opened some of the more difficult packaging. One a Vampire, the other a Fairy princess.:) It's amazing how different siblings can be, just like my own two sons.

Ar3xJ4a.jpg

Wishing a great Friday to all.:thumbsup:

Thanks. Looks like you were pretty busy. Having looked after my nephews and nieces over the years I think you should call that 'Hands Full Friday'. :)

Just came in the mail. Not perfect but not too bad either. Grind on the blade is uneven from mark to pile side of it. From what I have heard from others it's inherent with the blades (supplied by AW Wright). Blade is well centered. Covers are Rams Horn. Overall, for the money, a little disappointed but pretty satisfied at the same time (if that makes any sense).
View attachment 1223816

36039198833_bb834a6ff1.jpg

It looks a very nice knife, especially the ram's horn. Sorry to hear about the grind, but I guess that can be fixed.

I also got my Michael May Sheffield Barlow (in cherry wood) in the mail today.

View attachment 1223847

That's a nice looking knife as well, the cherry wood looks great. :thumbsup:

Good Afternoon Guardians.

Early A.M walk.
View attachment 1223884

Zach Wood over sized Clip-It Pry Bar and a vintage Lamb.
View attachment 1223885

Oh snow. Great shots, I do like that pry bar. But look at that beautifully cleared path. You'd never find that here. :rolleyes:

Finally snapped a new photo today while going to the Drs...
View attachment 1224058

Have a great weekend, all!!

What a fantastic patina :thumbsup:. Hope the recovery is going well btw. :thumbsup:

I guess I've lost some weight. I dug out my fleece-lined denim vest/weskit, and I look much less like Baby Huey on Mars in it than I did last year.
TqMkulc.jpg

Do more baking Jer. I mean it would be a shame to have to go out an buy a smaller coat when you've got a perfectly good one right there. :D

The Extraordinary Adventures of Linus the Lambsfoot

It's been a great weekend so far. Went yesterday to a local restaurant, Brewster Street Icehouse, to pick up my wife's "packet" for a race today. She ran a half-marathon: The Harbor Half (13.1 miles), over our Harbor Bridge.
BOvrgOl.jpg

Thanks for that great post. The USS Lexington looks fascinating; I'm sure I could spend all day on that. Hope your wife made a good time on the marathon. :thumbsup:

( I don't know how I missed these two earlier as I had made a point a getting a shot with a chickadee standing on my special Hartshead Barlow )
cSaFiZq.jpg

bKC6LXk.jpg

"A Walk in Nature"

What great shots. That Chickadee looks a lot like our 'Coal Tit' we have in the UK.

KHDrsDa.jpg

Hope everyone has a great Sunday.

It's been a great weekend so far. Went yesterday to a local restaurant, Brewster Street Icehouse, to pick up my wife's "packet" for a race today. She ran a half-marathon: The Harbor Half (13.1 miles), over our Harbor Bridge.
BOvrgOl.jpg

I took Linus, of course. I had fried shrimp and french fries (shrimp and chips?). It's downtown, near Whataburger Field, where the race started this morning.
eznzQF7.jpg

After dinner, we dropped by the Art Museum--getting Linus some culture, you know.
The race started early this morning, and required running across the Harbor Bridge (in the distance in the next pic) and back.
CEX2maP.jpg

That's a picture of part of our marina, with some of the downtown buildings in the background.
While my wife was running, my daughter and I drove around a little. We drove to the Lexington, a WWII era aircraft carrier, and my favourite "attraction" in my hometown.
TwtLzg4.jpg

Y8TZ6cq.jpg

mLO3TwT.jpg

The lighting's not great, but it was just after dawn.
0jAKwsd.jpg

Here's Linus, sitting in the gunner's seat in the last pic:
JzFmFdv.jpg

It was a little chilly, so he stayed in his leather sheath.
3VoE1IM.jpg

We then went to the largest Whataburger restaurant in the world, on Shoreline Drive, with a view of the bay:
IiyAaLP.jpg

I had a jalapeño cheddar cheese biscuit with sausage, egg, and cheese [yes, I use the "Oxford comma"].
iPIZ1Qe.jpg

We also went by the Corpus Christi Cathedral, where I made my First Holy Communion over 50 years ago. Here's a pic of an old postcard:
ZORkA06.jpg

And here's a pic from this morning:
Hcdn3HB.jpg

You can see a memorial for World War I on the hill below the church.
We also drove the the university, Texas A&M University--Corpus Christi, several miles away, and I took a pic of Linus in a gazebo:
8rXcMpU.jpg

Here's a pic taken from one of several parks on Ocean Drive:
emVFSh9.jpg

And here's a pic of our seawall, designed by Gutzon Borglum (of Mount Rushmore fame):
yy5LqhD.jpg

After my wife finished the race, we went to the local Greek festival:
cW3Tjfx.jpg

I had almost finished my meal before I remembered to take a pic:
Sbi9Lvd.jpg

Opa!

Wow Vince, what great pics of your locale :) You have certainly given Linus (and the rest of us) a great tour, well done :) :thumbsup:

Here's to the Oxford comma! :thumbsup:

I am an unworthy Guardian, since I haven't posted here for a week, and my last post dealt with matters from well over a week ago. :( (I have been READING the thread regularly, but not WRITING.) I'll go through the motions of attempting to catch up. This post has quotes from Thursday Oct 24 through Sunday Oct 27, I think.
Your welcome GT, I'll post another from a visit back in September.
Rochester Cathedral in Rochester in the county of Kent. Our second oldest cathedral founded in 604, it's mostly Norman era architecture.
Yg5olKX.jpg

Impressive photo, David! :eek::thumbsup::thumbsup:

My Ashley's Choice SFO Lambsfoot is with me today :) Hope everyone is having a good one :thumbsup:

WXVV6bA.jpg
Superb pic of your AC, Jack! :cool::cool::thumbsup: I like your AC in its own right, but put it with a background containing both water and fall foliage, and I get weak in the knees! ;)

Today finds me with yet another one of Jack's remarkable SFOs, again in Stag.

0851h4Q.jpg
Smashing shot of your stag HHB lambsfoot SFO, Dylan! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

I have some of those Clauss electrician scissors, built like a tank. I read that they were through hardened so they could take the hard use they might get in the field.
48953316113_f78da95906_h.jpg

Have a good Thursday, Guardians!
Heavenly horn, FBC! :cool::cool::thumbsup: Is that a Steppenwolf album in the background? Haven't listened to my Steppenwolf Live in decades. :(

It was off to the Dentist for a fang cleaning!! Now, this trip turned out to be rewarding because although the Dentist didn't have suckers, they gave me the magazine "Ranger Rick" Just up my alley and I know @r8shell would like it because it has a "Special Camping Section". It also had an informative tid-bit "The Scoop on Wombat Poop".
Imagine that!!! Cube shaped poop.:eek::rolleyes:
This thread is always SO informative!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool::D
And here's another incredibly informative post:

Here's Linus:
ta6tA0n.jpg

He's been with me about a week, and I have been taking him to work. I had to be in the office most of the week, but we did get out some at lunch time.

I showed him around Kingsville. Population is about 25,000 (Salute!, Hee-Haw fans).
Epic post, Vince! :eek::thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup: Thanks for showing Linus and us around Kingsville, TX!

I had a fun day opening packages! After 5K Qs 5K Qs passed on the "page 1500 lambsfoot giveaway" prize, and Jack must have been confused and sent 1500 lamb related gifts. (and a few other things I can't show in this thread)...
A black ebony SFO "big-un"
Here, with the rest of the flock:
AdHAt6w.jpg

Thank you, Jack! And thank you, GT!
I'm glad it finally arrived Rachel :) Well done to 5K Qs 5K Qs for his generosity in passing on the giveaway prize :thumbsup:
I feel I owe 5K Qs 5K Qs something nice for Xmas. :thumbsup:
You're welcome, Rachel. :) I'm sure every Guardian aspires to having a distinguished ebony lambsfoot, so I thought passing it on to you was the least I could do for the scrimshaw gifts you've bestowed on me (they were something nice for Christmas and well beyond :cool::thumbsup::cool:). That big ebony looks great with the rest of your flock of lambs! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Your 'Black Jack' by Jack Black is looking extraordinary, Gary!!
Aaaaand, a shot from the archives...
View attachment 1219394
Thanks, Dennis. :)
Great pic of your stag HHB! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

I don't know why, but for some reason... When I ask myself what might be in Jack's shaving cup, the only answer that makes sense would be some Mitchell's :D

Li'l Lambsfoot in buffalo for Friday. Hope everyone has a fantastic weekend!

jiVEch5.jpg
Very cool pic, Mike! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: I'm closing in on 68 years old, and I've NEVER shaved with anything other than a Norelco rechargeable electric; I think I'm on my third shaver currently. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I finally had time this morning to finish up Skoll.
I hit it with a few finer grades of sandpaper, finishing with 320 grit.
I then rubbed it down with some oil. I think it turned out fairly well and I like the slimmer feel.

Sköll looks ravishing, John! :cool::cool::thumbsup: I'm sure every mythological wolf longs for a grooming like you lavished on Sköll! ;)

I've had a Stag Hartshead Barlow for some time and have wanted a Rosewood Hartshead Barlow to go along with it; however, Jack Black Jack Black didn't have any more. Charlie @waynorth PM'ed me and said he had one available so, I snatched it up and here it is. Very, very nice and a big thank you to Charlie.

zLwH30D.jpg

rAbO6v2.jpg

I'll post more and better pictures later.
Some recent arrivals. I call the Ebony one in the middle "Black Widow"

grHzqrH.jpg
Holy Lambing Season, ED!! :eek: Your lambs are reproducing like rabbits; congrats on the grand new acquisitions! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Good old Jake
Survived the Quake! :thumbsup::cool:;)

These organic Royal Gala apples are a little on the small size, but they're certainly tasty :)

Nud8C7K.jpg
Galas are my apple of choice, too, Jack. :cool::thumbsup::cool: But living in a country that long ago threw off the tyrannical yoke of monarchy, mine are not Royal (I'm not particularly regal myself). ;):p

And the site of St' Thomas a Becket's Martyrdom in 1170.
m5j8j03.jpg

Some vast and vintage edged tools in that pic, David!! :eek::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Samuel Smith Taddy Porter is, like, AWESOME!
ScJmWUh.jpg

Literally. Well, that's what Linus tells me. :D:cool::thumbsup:
Linus knows of what he speaks, IMHO! ;):cool::cool:

The Ironwood slabs on my 2019 SFO from Jack Black look very different in varying light but always beautiful. IMO:D. Thanks Jack!:thumbsup::thumbsup:
Nb4pyeP.jpg

z1Q8l0g.jpg

The Pile side looks very dark, nearly black in most light, but not in full sun.:thumbsup:

y6gSFxt.jpg

CsKEaIZ.jpg
Splendid shots of your ironwoods' visual variety and versatility, Mark! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Cracker Jack has been my lambsfoot all week:
cj.mark.Vopen.gardenpost.jpg

- GT

Thanks, Mark. It's been a long and tiring day, especially for my wife! But it was fun. :)

Congratulations to your missus Vince, and thanks again for the great tour :) :thumbsup:

cSaFiZq.jpg

bKC6LXk.jpg

"A Walk in Nature"

Very cool Dan :cool: :) :thumbsup:

Morning Guardians!

Great carries, Jack and nice pics.:cool:
Have yourself a great and happy Sunday, and we'll look forward to seeing you later!:thumbsup:

I'll have my Ironwood JB SFO with me again today.
WQUpoSy.jpg

Many thanks Mark, the same to you my friend, that's a great pic (well done) :) I don't know if you're aware of this? ;) :thumbsup:

Your right Jack, I think I recall seeing stuff like that in the self-defence display. Just had a look for my Royal Armouries pictures but can I find them, can I heckers like. :rolleyes:

There's only one on display now I'm afraid, plus a few truncheons, and only two trench clubs left in the WW1 section :(

uoYJaEz.jpg

Aye I don't know who owns any of the caverns either but if their as profitable as they seem to be it could still be the same families I guess, as why would anyone surrender such little goldmines?
I didn't visit St' Edmund's church, which is the 3rd time I've missed it, as I decided I wanted a pint instead so visited three of the pubs which were...a disappointment to say the least. :( Wish I'd of gone the church now; and I've never heard of their historic bibles so thanks for drawing my attention to them.

Yes, they seem to have some historic rights, and I can't see them giving them up. I do recommend St Edmunds, perhaps it's even possible to view the 3 bibles by appointment. I also recommend the small museum in the modern visitors centre, and I think there may also be a small agricultural museum still there. The pubs have never been great I'm afraid :( :thumbsup:

I'm still curious as to what that object is.

Me too! I've still not been able to find anything definite. It came with a bag of tools my mate bought off an old feller, so I'm hoping we can spot him again, but it's possible he may not know himself o_O

Crikey. Even I can tell that's pretty shoddy work.

Terrible isn't it? o_O I got it about a month ago, and have had to put in a lot of work, and used almost every trick I know to get it to the point that with dry hands, and a mammoth effort, I can just pinch the blade open. No chance of using the nail-nick. The edge is so badly ground the blade is never going to be fully recoverable because it's ground way too high :mad: Why would you make such a shoddy sample for a customer? o_O

2Wttxz8.jpg

KHDrsDa.jpg

Hope everyone has a great Sunday.

You too David, nice pic :) :thumbsup:

Mornin' Gdns! Carryin' my, as of yet unnamed, JB ironwood SFO. I like the taste of ginger. This may be my favorite ginger beer for making a Moscow Mule. :):thumbsup:

IMG-1583.jpg

I like the full-fat version of that myself ;) :) :thumbsup:

Good Morning Guardians
I've decided to start a weekly Lambsfoot rotation, ala GT.
This week will be the Rosewood, who will keep me company today while watching football. :)

Fall colors still around my area...

Looking good John :) :thumbsup:

Good morning everyone.

CShKCoZ.jpg

Nice Ed :thumbsup:

Hope everyone is having a relaxing Sunday :) I often don't go out on a Sunday, but today I headed into the city centre. There was a wee farmer's market on, so I checked that out, then went for coffee and a blueberry croissant :)

4YlTikr.jpg

I was talking about the Chestnut Roaster the other week, once a staple of British streets, but fast disappearing. I came across an old couple unloading their little roasting truck, they looked to be both in their 80's, and I can't see them wanting to do it much longer :(

0x6cqYR.jpg

I headed on down to the river, and on to the Royal Armouries museum :)

ro98U5c.jpg

YZJmUVr.jpg

1jH77dm.jpg

After an hour or so at the museum, I was getting peckish, so it was off the pub for a burger and a pint of Timothy Taylor's Landlord. The burger seemed a bit diminutive, but was actually quite filling, as well as tasty :)

MvKmhLS.jpg

MVwY9q3.jpg

Hope everyone else is having a great Sunday :thumbsup:

Good Morning Guardians
I've decided to start a weekly Lambsfoot rotation, ala GT.
This week will be the Rosewood, who will keep me company today while watching football. :)
Guess it's a math guy thing! :D

Thanks for that great post. The USS Lexington looks fascinating; I'm sure I could spend all day on that. Hope your wife made a good time on the marathon. :thumbsup:
I spent the night on the Lexington once, with a Boy Scout troop my sons were in. Lots of fun.
The half-marathon (13.1 miles) was my wife's first. There were plenty of faster runners, but she finished. She's only been running about 7 years. I'm proud of her. Maybe I should take up running!
Here's a couple of pics from the bridge someone else took:
CiGHarJ.jpg

VZukkfa.jpg

And at the finish line:
XSdIQCX.jpg

And, finally:
Good Morning, Guardians!
9rfSbwz.jpg

This is Linus the Lambsfoot's last day here in Corpus Christi. I'll take a few more pics today and send him on his way tomorrow.

Superb pic of your AC, Jack! :cool::cool::thumbsup: I like your AC in its own right, but put it with a background containing both water and fall foliage, and I get weak in the knees! ;)

Thanks a lot my friend :) Yesterday, I nearly (finally) filed the kick to drop the point inside the frame, from which it stands slightly proud, but I just didn't want to mess with it :D :thumbsup:

Galas are my apple of choice, too, Jack. :cool::thumbsup::cool: But living in a country that long ago threw off the tyrannical yoke of monarchy, mine are not Royal (I'm not particularly regal myself). ;):p

Cracker Jack has been my lambsfoot all week:
View attachment 1224870

- GT

I just bought some today Gary, and they were described as plain old democratic Galas, so perhaps I have been going to the wrong greengrocer! :D ;) I may eat one later and think of good old Tom Paine :) Great pic of your Cracker Jack :) :thumbsup:

Back