Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Most excellent! I am looking forward to your adventures, Ron.

Autumn makes for the finest pipe smoking weather and, of course, it is always better to be accompanied by a Lambsfoot.

WVwdDQk.jpg
Thanks Dylan! :) A great photo as usual tonight my friend! :thumbsup: The Ironwood looks beautiful in that lighting! :cool:

The Extraordinary Adventures of Linus the Lambsfoot Part 2

Linus the Lambsfoot arrived in my mail today. I opened the Priority Mail package from Corpus Christi to find Linus securely tucked away in his custom Guardians pocket slip. Also included was a nice post card from Vince Prester John Prester John . I immediately opened up Linus and checked him out. He’s a great looking Lambsfoot with a nice stout pull and a well centered blade. He also is wearing a nice patina which compliments the nice rich colored Ebony. All I have time for today is a quick photo and a light drop of oil in the joint. Thanks again for this opportunity Dylan Pàdruig Pàdruig . The adventure will continue very soon!

49025922673_f96a71726b_o_d.jpg
Glad Linus arrived safely! Looking forward to your posts, Ron!

Thanks Dylan! :) A great photo as usual tonight my friend! :thumbsup: The Ironwood looks beautiful in that lighting! :cool:

Thank you, Ron! The Ironwood on these SFOs sure makes for easy photography. Very photogenic.

Look forward to part two Ron !
:thumbsup:

Hi Dylan Pàdruig Pàdruig
I’d like to be added at the end of the hosts list ! The chickadees in my area would love to meet Linus :)

I'd be delighted to, my friend, I'll get you added right away. It will be a real pleasure to see your pictures when Linus makes it over there.

Now that's some fine pocket worn stag! :thumbsup:

After seeing how nicely JohnDF JohnDF rounded the corners on his knife Skoll, I decided to take sandpaper to my new ebony. The corners of the handle were uncomfortably blocky, and dug into my palm just wrong.
SG18ijE.jpg

Didn't really have to remove a lot of material, I just had to hit the right spots.
After 1000 grit sandpaper and wax, it is sooo much more comfortable now! I also filed down the kick so the tip won't catch and tear a hole in my pocket. I went slowly, and could have lowered it more, but I was running out of kick.
t334K8U.jpg

SNFdG7e.jpg

The next thing to do is reset a thinner edge on the blade, but I might not get a chance before the weekend. Now that I've "made it mine" it's gonna be a fine Lambsfoot.

r8shell r8shell

Did you use a block or just sandpaper? And what wax did you use after? I’m wondering about the overall process, I’d like to do the same but am terrified of ruining my beautiful new ebony.

Joe

Been down at 35f all day here, and now it is raining, with heavier rain forecast for the next 36 hours :(

I went down to the market to get a haircut from Barber Brian, but he'd taken the day off! :eek: Picked up a homemade sausage-roll from a nice French lady though :thumbsup:

GqpSUOD.jpg
My doctor is always telling me to watch my diet. He says that if it looks good don't eat it. Sorry, but I could resist something that looks so good as that sausage roll. As always, the HHB looks right at home.

35285270820_84a8bd9072_m.jpg

Good morning, friends!

I'm done with the M. May drama. I truly wish Mr. May can get his QC issues sorted out, and can eventually earn a reputation for excellence if he sticks with knife making. I'm going to return my knife and ask for a refund. I just don't want to chance being disappointed a second time.

I'm going to remove the pictures.

Here is one I AM immensly proud of owning! :):thumbsup:

DSC-2996.jpg
I have a Waynorth that looks Identical to yours. That and my HHB are knives that I am very proud to have. Will keep you posted as to the goings on with MM.

35285270820_84a8bd9072_m.jpg

Very nicely done, r8shell, I really like how your work has softened up those edges. I'm happy to read that it's made an improvement in its comfort as well. I might just have to give it a go myself soon.
Thanks. It feels so much better in hand now. I might not have risked it just for aesthetics, but I really like how it looks, too.

r8shell r8shell

Did you use a block or just sandpaper? And what wax did you use after? I’m wondering about the overall process, I’d like to do the same but am terrified of ruining my beautiful new ebony.

Joe
I used a single-cut mill bastard file, then sandpaper: 400 grit and 1000 grit. Tinkering is always a risk, and going with a file is more risky, but I've shaped wood with it before. It takes a light touch, might be a good idea to practice on a few pieces of scrap wood first.
I had some Renaissance wax handy, so I used that, but I'll bet any neutral color wood wax would work. Good luck. :):thumbsup:
Here's an in-progress pic. One side done with the file, starting in with sandpaper:
X57lVjs.jpg

Linus the Lambsfoot arrived in my mail today. I opened the Priority Mail package from Corpus Christi to find Linus securely tucked away in his custom Guardians pocket slip. Also included was a nice post card from Vince Prester John Prester John . I immediately opened up Linus and checked him out. He’s a great looking Lambsfoot with a nice stout pull and a well centered blade. He also is wearing a nice patina which compliments the nice rich colored Ebony. All I have time for today is a quick photo and a light drop of oil in the joint. Thanks again for this opportunity Dylan Pàdruig Pàdruig . The adventure will continue very soon!

49025922673_f96a71726b_o_d.jpg
Excellent... Looking forward to more Adventures of Linus. :cool::thumbsup:

This week I'm carrying Lam Jack, my 2017 Guardians horn lambsfoot SFO (thanks, @mrknife).
Here's a photo of the knife when new, almost exactly 2 years ago:
View attachment 1227412

Here's a more recent, but not very clear, pic of the knife on Yorkshire Day about 3 months ago:
View attachment 1227413

- GT
Nice to see two years of service from Lam Jack. :cool::thumbsup:

Good morning Guardians! :thumbsup: Linus woke up in Tennessee this morning. It’s going to rain here today so his first day of adventure will be indoors. The first of my flock to extend a personal welcome to Linus was my Ashley’s Choice. I was able to get a couple of outdoor photos this morning before the rain moves in later. Hope y’all have a great day! :):thumbsup:

49028701856_b06ac96019_o_d.jpg

The guest of honor:
49028913532_cd43a82318_o_d.jpg

Hi Guardians, mid afternoon here, and I've just got in after a 6 hour stinting helping my mate out on his market tool stall. I say 'helped', but on a day like today, when it has been raining heavily since the early hours, most of the 'help' involves supplying jokes and cake, since he has had precious few customers :rolleyes: Chips (fat-cut fries) and thick gravy for lunch :) I'm just about to start catching up with the thread, hope everyone is having a good day :thumbsup:

PL0ZM98.jpg

Hi Guardians, mid afternoon here, and I've just got in after a 6 hour stinting helping my mate out on his market tool stall. I say 'helped', but on a day like today, when it has been raining heavily since the early hours, most of the 'help' involves supplying jokes and cake, since he has had precious few customers :rolleyes: Chips (fat-cut fries) and thick gravy for lunch :) I'm just about to start catching up with the thread, hope everyone is having a good day :thumbsup:

PL0ZM98.jpg
Sounds like a lot of fun to me.

Back