Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Seems to have been a bit crazy everywhere, but then most folks only see gunpowder once a year here these days (a good job there weren't any 'soccer balls' around!) :eek:
Around here, there are plenty of fireworks twice a year: July 4 and December 31. They're illegal to possess within city limits, but there are always vendors just outside city limits, and there are always PLENTY of fireworks going off on those two holidays. A county constable I knew used to confiscate them from people and give them to my father-in-law, who lived outside the city limits. So my kids got to play with them.
Of course, gunpowder itself is easy to obtain, as Texas is very "gun friendly."

Thanks! I just got in a WorkSharp Angle Set sharpener. It's kind of like the Spyderco SharpMaker, but has diamond hones and more choices of angles. I can establish a 15 degree per side angle, and then a micro-bevel of 17.5 or 20.
I saw a review of the WorkSharp on the forum. I would be very interested of what you think when you have used it. I have a few Angle Set sharpeners, but am always on the lookout for any good products.:):thumbsup:

Thanks! I just got in a WorkSharp Angle Set sharpener. It's kind of like the Spyderco SharpMaker, but has diamond hones and more choices of angles. I can establish a 15 degree per side angle, and then a micro-bevel of 17.5 or 20.
That's great! I just got a knife sharpener from A.G. Russell with diamond rods and ceramic rods. Only one angle, though: 15 degrees per side.

I saw a review of the WorkSharp on the forum. I would be very interested of what you think when you have used it. I have a few Angle Set sharpeners, but am always on the lookout for any good products.:):thumbsup:
I think I saw the same thread, and realized I had just enough sitting in my amazon account to order one. ;)
That's great! I just got a knife sharpener from A.G. Russell with diamond rods and ceramic rods. Only one angle, though: 15 degrees per side.
I'll let y'all know what I think of it when I get a chance to try it out.

The next thing to do is reset a thinner edge on the blade, but I might not get a chance before the weekend. Now that I've "made it mine" it's gonna be a fine Lambsfoot.

Thanks! I just got in a WorkSharp Angle Set sharpener

Very interested in how this system works in your opinion Rachel.
I have their Guided sharpening ( only 2 choices of angles )
https://www.worksharptools.com/product/guided-sharpening-system/

I also have this irresistible urge to make things mine by tinkering a bit with them :thumbsup::)

Mate i also have an A.G. Russell with only the diamond rods, but i also have an Idahone V Angle, it has 220 grit ceramic and 1200 grit ceramic rods, with 15 degree and 22.5 degree for a micro bevel. You may want to look at one of them.:thumbsup:

Now that's some fine pocket worn stag! :thumbsup:

After seeing how nicely JohnDF JohnDF rounded the corners on his knife Skoll, I decided to take sandpaper to my new ebony. The corners of the handle were uncomfortably blocky, and dug into my palm just wrong.
SG18ijE.jpg

Didn't really have to remove a lot of material, I just had to hit the right spots.
After 1000 grit sandpaper and wax, it is sooo much more comfortable now! I also filed down the kick so the tip won't catch and tear a hole in my pocket. I went slowly, and could have lowered it more, but I was running out of kick.
t334K8U.jpg

SNFdG7e.jpg

The next thing to do is reset a thinner edge on the blade, but I might not get a chance before the weekend. Now that I've "made it mine" it's gonna be a fine Lambsfoot.

r8shell r8shell - Thanks for the compliments on my knife.

Very nice job on your knife Rachel. I've noticed that many of the Lambfoot knives from A. Wright have very little of the kick left when they arrive. As an example, this "Big-un" arrived with very little kick (actually no kick) and the tip of the blade lies barely in the well.

wqQg6B7.jpg

Last edited:
Mate i also have an A.G. Russell with only the diamond rods, but i also have an Idahone V Angle, it has 220 grit ceramic and 1200 grit ceramic rods, with 15 degree and 22.5 degree for a micro bevel. You may want to look at one of them.:thumbsup:
Well, you can never have too many sharpeners! I have an Arkansas stone I have to use with oil (almost out of oil). It works well for 1095 or more traditional steels, but it takes practice to keep the angle consistent along the whole edge. I like the rods, but always interested in ways to keep my knives sharp.

Did anyone remember
the 5th of November?
Can it be the Gunpowder Plot
has somehow been forgot?
;)
Dang it!

gunpowder to clean the oven or chimney out (I forget which).
I would guess the chimney. I remember JK Jerome saying that swearing clears a man's soul like a penn'rth of gunpowder clears the smoke-house chimney.
You are correct.o_O I completely forgot, i think it is a generational thing. We used to have huge bonfires in every suburb and town when i was growing up, we called it Cracker Night. They were banned in the late sixties, and the next generations had no idea of it's relevance.o_O
Who needs heritage, eh?
v96GhcH.jpg

Last edited:
The corners of the handle were uncomfortably blocky, and dug into my palm just wrong.
SG18ijE.jpg

Didn't really have to remove a lot of material, I just had to hit the right spots.
After 1000 grit sandpaper and wax, it is sooo much more comfortable now! I also filed down the kick so the tip won't catch and tear a hole in my pocket. I went slowly, and could have lowered it more, but I was running out of kick.
t334K8U.jpg

SNFdG7e.jpg

very nice job Rachel. It looks so slender and sexy now. :cool::thumbsup:

Very interested in how this system works in your opinion Rachel.
I have their Guided sharpening ( only 2 choices of angles )
https://www.worksharptools.com/product/guided-sharpening-system/

I also have this irresistible urge to make things mine by tinkering a bit with them :thumbsup::)
I have one of those, too. :oops: What I like about it is that the diamond plates are held on by magnets, so you can remove them for cleaning - I've also attached those diamond plates to my Sharpmaker rods with a rubber band when I can't find my diamond rods.
That looks kind of like the Lansky Turnbox, but with longer rods. :cool::thumbsup:
r8shell r8shell - Thanks for the compliments on my knife.

Very nice job on your knife Rachel. I've noticed that many of the Lambfoot knives from A. Wright have very little of the kick left when they arrive. As an example, this "Big-un" arrived with very little kick (actually no kick) and the tip of the blade lies barely in the well.

wqQg6B7.jpg
That is a bummer, Ed. Filing the kick is the only way I know to drop the tip. I wouldn't want to try to grind the inside of the backspring. :confused:
r8shell r8shell - Careful when you use that sharpener.:eek: Use an older knife that you don't care so much about until you get used to it. It's very easy to take too much off with a diamond rod, stone. etc. and when that happens:rolleyes:, you can't put the steel back on.
I've used diamond rods on a sharpmaker, so I don't think it'll be much different but you're right, it's a good idea to first try it on a cheap kitchen knife or two.

Well, you can never have too many sharpeners! I have an Arkansas stone I have to use with oil (almost out of oil). It works well for 1095 or more traditional steels, but it takes practice to keep the angle consistent along the whole edge. I like the rods, but always interested in ways to keep my knives sharp.
My sentiments also, you never stop learning. I also have different stones, i find them very much like meditating to use.:thumbsup:

The Extraordinary Adventures of Linus the Lambsfoot Part 2

Linus the Lambsfoot arrived in my mail today. I opened the Priority Mail package from Corpus Christi to find Linus securely tucked away in his custom Guardians pocket slip. Also included was a nice post card from Vince Prester John Prester John . I immediately opened up Linus and checked him out. He’s a great looking Lambsfoot with a nice stout pull and a well centered blade. He also is wearing a nice patina which compliments the nice rich colored Ebony. All I have time for today is a quick photo and a light drop of oil in the joint. Thanks again for this opportunity Dylan Pàdruig Pàdruig . The adventure will continue very soon!

49025922673_f96a71726b_o_d.jpg

Thank you, Dylan. It was an honour.

Great shot of whiskey, cigar, and lambsfoot, as usual.

That's good to hear my friend, great shot there :) :thumbsup:

Thank you, fellas!

Now that's some fine pocket worn stag! :thumbsup:

After seeing how nicely JohnDF JohnDF rounded the corners on his knife Skoll, I decided to take sandpaper to my new ebony. The corners of the handle were uncomfortably blocky, and dug into my palm just wrong.
SG18ijE.jpg

t334K8U.jpg

SNFdG7e.jpg

Very nicely done, r8shell, I really like how your work has softened up those edges. I'm happy to read that it's made an improvement in its comfort as well. I might just have to give it a go myself soon.

The Extraordinary Adventures of Linus the Lambsfoot Part 2

Linus the Lambsfoot arrived in my mail today. I opened the Priority Mail package from Corpus Christi to find Linus securely tucked away in his custom Guardians pocket slip. Also included was a nice post card from Vince Prester John Prester John . I immediately opened up Linus and checked him out. He’s a great looking Lambsfoot with a nice stout pull and a well centered blade. He also is wearing a nice patina which compliments the nice rich colored Ebony. All I have time for today is a quick photo and a light drop of oil in the joint. Thanks again for this opportunity Dylan Pàdruig Pàdruig . The adventure will continue very soon!

49025922673_f96a71726b_o_d.jpg

Most excellent! I am looking forward to your adventures, Ron.

Autumn makes for the finest pipe smoking weather and, of course, it is always better to be accompanied by a Lambsfoot.

WVwdDQk.jpg

Back