Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

I "upgraded" to Windows 10 today. Everything looks different. :confused::mad:

Oh you've just reminded me. :rolleyes: I'd totally forgotten Windows 7 support ends next week doesn't it.:rolleyes:

fMBbjS8.png

Take care mine own cousin :D

LOL! You could type anything into that I suppose. :D

Years back, when everyone was reading the Harry Potter books, I borrowed a few from a friend. I realized after a bit that I was reading an American translation of the original English. o_O They changed "football" to "soccer" and other things like that. I strongly disapprove. I grew up reading the Winnie The Pooh books, and I remember figuring out that when Christopher Robin got new braces, he meant suspenders, not the teeth straightening things. The point is, I did figure it out. It's like the publishers have no confidence in kids' intelligence. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I can read "contemporary" British English, too, even though they talk funny! :D
I was teasing my daughter yesterday, asking her if I needed to help her with the vocabulary in The Fellowship of the Ring, and she reminded me that she got a perfect score in reading comprehension on the PSAT!

I hate that kind of thing! How are kids supposed to learn, and expand their vocabularies and knowledge of international linguistics? I won't watch dubbed films either :grumpy: Thankfully they don't dub American-made films for release over here! :D :thumbsup:

Another atmospheric vista, David! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:
(That's a view I'd like to see with your Eye of Sauron horn lambsfoot, since the terrain reminds me of the top of a Mordor volcano! ;))

- GT

LOL GT! I'll take the Eye of Sauron next time I'm up there, but as the chance of snow is looking an increasingly remote possibility that may not be this winter now. :(

I've only had 2 bottles before, I found a place in Knaresborough that does it for about £4.50 a bottle, which is about half the price they charge in the pubs. I had a long conversation about barley wine today. When I worked at the Gold Label, the older fellers would talk about when it was stronger, and put into conditioning tanks (which were still there) for six months. The couple I knew, who set up Brass Castle, sold it a few years back, and moved down to Wales. The brewery has done well. Manchester Beer Festival looks pretty good :) :thumbsup:

Just had a Cannonball, not sure it'd be to your taste David, but it was the first Magic Rock beer I had, when they very first started. I could drink it all day on draught :) :thumbsup:

RWRp0k0.jpg

Your right Jack, that's most definately not my sort of ale. Hope you enjoyed it though.
I found this Marble Beers Barley Wine today which I'm about to crack into to. :cool:

BE8FEIZ.jpg

Thanks Jack, chilly indeed :)
Here is a frozen marsh/swamp area with the boardwalk trail running through it.
iITSXZp.jpg

aIxaIYl.jpg

More fantastic pics Dan :) :thumbsup:

picked up a 3" closed Joseph Rodgers resently that looks very Lambsfoot

Hope to see a pic :) :thumbsup:

More catching up on this thread for me.

That's a cheery attitude for the start of a new year, Jack! :thumbsup::thumbsup::)
(Unless you meant that life is filled with pits and stems. :(:rolleyes:)

Me too, and I only posted last night :rolleyes: ;) Thanks Gary, it's sure to go downhill! o_O :rolleyes: :D :thumbsup:

Another remarkable outdoor shot of that award-winning stag HHB, Jack! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Many thanks buddy :) :thumbsup:

Jack, your 2017 Guardians horn lambsfoot is such a great New Year's Day knife with its fireworks covers! :eek::thumbsup::thumbsup:
The photos of your hike were very enjoyable, and the last few, with commentary, were downright whimsical! :D:cool::thumbsup::D (And that definitely does look like some kind of Hobbit mound. ;))

Thanks pal :) :thumbsup:

It's been years since I've had liver & onions, but I've NEVER had chicken-fried steak! :eek::confused:
I lead such a sheltered life (although I have had fried chicken and I have had steak :rolleyes:)

I was surprised when someone first mentioned liver and onions, as it is such a British staple (far more so in the past) :) I've never had CFS either, but I brought up the subject with my pals in the market, and they think it's a fantastic idea, not sure why it's never crossed the Pond! :D :thumbsup:

Speaking of the rosewood Hartshead Barlow, here's my LamBarJack 2 that's actually being carried this week in its scheduled turn as Lambsfoot of the Week on my rotation schedule:
View attachment 1258726

- GT

Nice pic Gary :) :thumbsup:

Good evening everyone, just would like to make a general observation if i may, i have only been on the "Porch" for about 7 months. But one thing that really sticks out, and has been obvious over the last few days, is the care and concern if a regular poster is missing in action. This i find is something that is more specific on the Lambfoot thread/forum, which just shows that it is not only a welcoming place to hang out in, but just so genuinely caring, you are all great people.:)

You too mate, we're all family here :) :thumbsup:

Fantastic pic Taylor! :cool: :) :thumbsup:

Just received this little lamb to accompany my larger lambfoot. It was supposed to be here before Christmas but I guess since it arrived after the new year it can be a contender for my 2020 knife of the year. Can’t wait to get a patina going to match its big brother.
View attachment 1258878

Looks nice :thumbsup:

:cool::thumbsup: Can't compete with homemade; it's in another league. :D

You obviously never tasted my mother's cooking! :eek: :rolleyes: ;) :D :thumbsup:

Jack Black Jack Black - Very kind of you, Jack. Your croissant, coffee, and Hartshead Image is MMM MMM Good. Enjoy your hike.

JohnDF JohnDF - Fine Image, John. That That 12 Gauge wallet is very cool.

@5K Qs - Your LamBarJack is looking good.

Good Evening Guardians.

A couple more from Linus’ visit.
26A30229-3D77-4E23-9857-683EACC22D74_zpsnjalhix3.jpeg

As a reward, I treated Linus and myself to a few samples of freshly made coffee cake at Deerfield Bakery.
View attachment 1258908

Thanks Harvey, great to see those extra pics of Linus :) :thumbsup:

Arrived this morning, and again nothing to knock really at the price :), Bubinga scales.

a6fkUn5.jpg

Yxw7iVg.jpg

Very nice Tim :thumbsup:

That Bubinga Wood is handsome stuff. :cool::thumbsup:

Good Morning Guardians
This is the extent of my gardening ability.
My Dad loved to garden, but I never did take to it.
Going to be celebrating my Wife's birthday while my kids are still home from college.
It will involve a lot of shopping and lunch at our favorite BBQ place. Then home to watch the playoffs. Have a great day all. :)

Lovely pic John, hope your wife has a very Happy Birthday :) :thumbsup:

@Tim.E "Bubinga" I had to look that one up. Is yours truly African Rosewood, or do you really mean just plain Rosewood? :)

Anyway, nice knife!

:D Could be diet rosewood ;) , definitely more light/red in colour than the usual rosewood Wright's are clad in.

I have to say that I have seen Wright's standard Rosewood, which is usually Indonesian these days, but comes in various hues, misleadingly described as everything from Bubinga to Cocobolo, mainly to overseas customers, by unscrupulous UK dealers :thumbsdown:

Your 2019 KOTY has grand pile side stag, Jack! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:
I'm finding it difficult to say anything positive about your Robin Hood story, however, other than I'm glad it came early in the year, and we know longer have to worry about it! :eek::D

Thanks pal :) I'd tell you I got that joke out of a Christmas cracker, but @ADEE told it to me! :D :thumbsup:

Thanks for the merciful treatment, Jack! :thumbsup::thumbsup:;)

:D :thumbsup:

A delectable blueberry croissant is becoming almost as commonplace for you as carrying your stag HHB, Jack! :thumbsup:;):cool:

I hope your hike was heavenly, Jack! :cool::thumbsup::cool:
Goodness Gracious, those Acs are striking lambsfoots!! :eek::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks again my friend, the weather turned a bit rotten, but I had a good (if tiring) day anyway :) I even managed to get hold of a haggis pasty on my travels, which was rather nice ;) :D :thumbsup:

LamBarJack this week:
View attachment 1259030

- GT

Great to see LamBarJack again :) :thumbsup:

Good morning, Guardians!
5ZQr0CT.jpg

Beautiful Vince :) :thumbsup:

That was PAINFUL to watch! o_O :rolleyes: ;)

Your right Jack, that's most definately not my sort of ale. Hope you enjoyed it though.
I found this Marble Beers Barley Wine today which I'm about to crack into to. :cool:

BE8FEIZ.jpg

That looks ace David, let me know! :cool: :) :thumbsup:

I'm trying to clear my fridge out mate, I reckon you'd have hated these too ;) :D :thumbsup:

LxMrEOZ.jpg

TYsptiK.jpg

6nSSjSI.jpg

DIsl3Jv.jpg

Tending to my flock.
FWGBE4L.jpg

2TJnJUN.jpg

Absolutely superb Dan :) :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Hope everyone is having a good weekend! Growing quite fond of this one ;)

kW0NoMN.jpg

Nice to hear Mike :) :thumbsup:

Hope everyone is having a great weekend :thumbsup:

JohnDF JohnDF - Thank you John. Why do you think I’m always walking?:D Very nice garden and Lamb Foot Image. Happy Birthday to the Missus.

@5K Qs - Thank you GT. Nice of you to say that. I see LamBarJack eats all of veggies. It shows.:thumbsup:

@Prester John - Both Your Ironwood Lamb and image are wonderful.

Jack Black Jack Black - Thank you Jack. Your pints and Hartshead...As good as it gets.:thumbsup:

Good Evening Guardians.

“Always start with dessert, because you never know.”
51EA83B0-940A-4BC1-9AAD-530B17D1C7F3.jpeg

A rainy day to watch the FA Cup.
AlTGxq3.jpg

Nice pic Dave, hope you enjoyed the match :thumbsup:

View attachment 1259462
I did carry this guy yesterday. Just didn't get a good photo opp.

Hope you're getting on well together Willie :thumbsup:

Jack Black Jack Black - Thank you Jack. Your pints and Hartshead...As good as it gets.:thumbsup:

Good Evening Guardians.

“Always start with dessert, because you never know.”
View attachment 1259523

Thanks pal :) LOL! I like your philosophy Harvey :D That's a great pic :) :thumbsup:

Morning Guardians, I'm afraid my Sunday hasn't started out too good :( I picked up some muffins on the way home last night, and thought I'd toast a couple with cheese for breakfast. The first bite, I hit a stone in one of the muffins, and broke a dental crown :mad: Took this pic just before o_O Have a great Sunday Guardians :thumbsup:

IQnrLjU.jpg

Hello--
I was gifted a lambsfoot for Christmas. It's of the Joseph Rodgers variety and I must say I got lucky with the fit and finish. I would say the knife is comparable to the Case knives I own. My question is about the blade steel. I am familiar with 420HC, and find it more than suitable for my needs. But the only information I can find on the steel used for this lambsfoot calls it 420 S454. I searched Google high and low, but can find no information about this particular steel. Am I to assume it is regular 420, as opposed to 420 HC? I would be disappointed if this were true.
Any insight is appreciated.

Try searching on '420 S45'. Contemporary Sheffield cutlers can be pretty clueless when it comes to the modern alphabet soup of steels, very conservative about the steel they're prepared to use, and tight-fisted when it comes to spending money. They also tend to view the whole discussion of steel types as a bit of a collector's obsession, and if you ask a Sheffield cutler what his steel is, he'll probably tell you something like it's the steel his gaffer (boss) gave him, and that it's good steel, sharpens up alright, and cuts well. Hope that's helpful :thumbsup:

Hello--
I was gifted a lambsfoot for Christmas. It's of the Joseph Rodgers variety and I must say I got lucky with the fit and finish. I would say the knife is comparable to the Case knives I own. My question is about the blade steel. I am familiar with 420HC, and find it more than suitable for my needs. But the only information I can find on the steel used for this lambsfoot calls it 420 S454. I searched Google high and low, but can find no information about this particular steel. Am I to assume it is regular 420, as opposed to 420 HC? I would be disappointed if this were true.
Any insight is appreciated.

Try searching on '420 S45'. Contemporary Sheffield cutlers can be pretty clueless when it comes to the modern alphabet soup of steels, very conservative about the steel they're prepared to use, and tight-fisted when it comes to spending money. They also tend to view the whole discussion of steel types as a bit of a collector's obsession, and if you ask a Sheffield cutler what his steel is, he'll probably tell you something like it's the steel his gaffer (boss) gave him, and that it's good steel, sharpens up alright, and cuts well. Hope that's helpful :thumbsup:

Hope you're getting on well together Willie :thumbsup:
We are indeed, thanks Jack. I haven't done anything exciting with it, just opened a couple of packages and peeled an orange, but I find it's the mundane that helps me get to know a knife.
Morning Guardians, I'm afraid my Sunday hasn't started out too good :( I picked up some muffins on the way home last night, and thought I'd toast a couple with cheese for breakfast. The first bite, I hit a stone in one of the muffins, and broke a dental crown :mad: Took this pic just before o_O Have a great Sunday Guardians :thumbsup:
Ahhhhhhhhh!!! Hopefully your day gets better sir.

Back